I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Easy way to line up guides?
Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: December 23, 2004 11:12PM

Lou-man after my own heart. I can't imagine an easier way than satisfying my own eyes. As long as I can see the end of the rod- they do seem to be getting a whole lot longer as I get older!!

Putter

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2004 11:18PM by Randy Parpart (Putter).

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Emory Harry (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: December 23, 2004 11:27PM

Mick,
I share your view of compromise, but there is no way to exist without it. You sound like a student of philosophy. You said "Perception is Reality". That is an Aristotelian argument. Plato would argue exactly the opposite that truth and reality can only be achieved through pure reason and that perception, or empirical evidence, only misleads you. Are you familiar with epistomology? It is one arm of philosophy. It is the theory of knowledge or what can be known and what can not be known or what is real and what is not real?
What the @#$%& this has to do with alligning guides though.

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.mynetrocks.com)
Date: December 24, 2004 12:39AM

The eyes have it. I'm beginning to sound like Putter and Bill, and that's not bad.

Stan

Posted by: R. Patrick Vernacchio (---.olive.dsl.arctic.net)
Date: December 24, 2004 03:30AM

Lots of patience. This is a step that I devote a lot of time to because I can spot slight deviations after I have settled down to observe the overall alignment and how each guide relates to the tip guide as well as each other. I hold the rod up to a wall that is well-lit and contrasts the rod to easily view it. I view from the guide side as well as from the opposite side of guide placement.

I don’t see how a jig could align guide at any stage. The guides would have to be so loose as to be hard to keep them aligned after removing from the jig. If it is a stage that you find inconvenient or difficult to master, you just have to keep working at it and realize it is just as important in the process as wrapping or finishing.

Sorry, but this is a stage where it really does illustrate that rod-building is indeed, a craft.

Patrick Vernacchio

Posted by: DON DANFORTH (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 24, 2004 07:14AM

I USE A STRAIGHT LINE LASER LEVEL MOUNTED ON AN OLD REEL BODY IT PROJECTS THE LASER LINE DOWN ON THE BLANK.
MOST LASER LEVELS JUST SHOOT A STRAIGHT LINE WHICH YOU HALVE TO LINE THE GUIDE SOME WHAT
WITH THE STRAIGHT LINE LEVEL THE RED LASER LINE IS ONE THE BLANK NO MATER IF THE BLANK IS STRAIGHT OR NOT
19.00 AT HOME DEPOT IT LOOKS LIKE A TAPE MEASURE

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.nas3.saint-louis1.mo.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: December 24, 2004 10:03AM

Emory, I'm not really a student. I know just enough philosophy to be a real PITA to myself and others! Personally, I agree with Plato. I believe that truth should be used to show reality to change the perception. Unfortunately, most people "believe what they see", that a crooked rod is bad and have no patience or desire to listen to why it isn't neccessarily so. If it looks bad, it must be bad. It's back and forth but in the end, too many folks will not accept a rod with a slight bend to one side and one crooked guide is unacceptable to pretty much anyone... especially myself.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 24, 2004 10:04AM

Emory -
So far this laser is not killing me on batteries. It uses two AA's. Of course I haven't used it very much either. As for the shop alignment -- well the tops are all level in both (all directions and plumb with the floor). Unfortunately as anyone who has done any remodeling (or framing) a truley "squared" wall is a rarity. So - the front alignment of the work surface curves about 1/16" of an inch over 9 feet. Since I built the original wall I'll live with it as I have no one to "blame" for the out of square corner.
What I like about this laser is that it doesn't project a "dot" but rather a "line". I tried the "dot" laser with a handheld level and cellophane "transparent" tape across the guide openings. Too painful - unless the rod is perfectly level with no bends between the supports setting the guides will drive you nuts. This one has some promise because the "line" is visible across the blank and top/bottom of each guide (where it isn't blocked by the preceeding guide - so sighting from the tip to the handle is preferable.
Is it worth the time/trouble? I think more "toy" than "proof positive". As above - on the rod I checked the difference was absolutely minimal from original "by eye" alignment - and had the blank been warped the guides likely would not have come out "in a line" anyway. In other words the catfishermen would have been "displeased" with the "misaligned guides".

Posted by: Mike Bolt (---.triad.rr.com)
Date: December 26, 2004 05:45AM

After you have your guides wrapped and as straight as you can eyeball, put a levelwind reel or reel frame on. You can straighten the guides with perpendicular reference to the reel locked the reelseat. Sighting down the reel seat hoods can become FUBAR.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster