I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

more flocking
Posted by: Ron Petley (---.hsc.mb.ca)
Date: December 23, 2004 09:43AM

I want to flock a fly cork grip and would like to spiral masking tape on the grip or even make a dimond pattern with thin tape so the cork shows as well as the flocking. My questions are: Is this a good idea? Will the flock cork line be rough? Will the flocking lift from the edges as the grip is used? Will the line be so thick that it will be to rough on the hand to use for a long time?
Cheers Ron

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: more flocking
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 23, 2004 11:02AM

This all depends on how well you perform the process. The urethane flocking adhesive it pretty thick, and thus doesn't tend to seep under the tape edges. I think you'll find that you'll get a pretty nice, crisp line between your flock and regular un-flocked cork.

The flock shouldn't lift from the edges anymore than it would from the middle of a flocked area. Just make sure you get enough flocking in place to begin with. And remember, you can't over-flock - any excess can be collected and reused. Keep going until you think everything is fully covered, and then add some more. Than add some more.

Posted by: Shawn Moore (62.132.1.---)
Date: December 23, 2004 11:05AM

Is it neccessary to buy the flock kit mentioned in the article? Are there other companies that offer similar kits? I'm just exploring my options and didn't know whether it might be better to buy bits and pieces rather than a kit. Sort of like getting to the point where instead of buying a rod kit, a builder will select his own blanks and related pieces. I just wasn't really sure what was available in this area. Thanks.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 23, 2004 11:16AM

The "rod grip flocking kits" offered by Donjer didn't exist when I wrote the article. In fact, it was only because of the article that the kits were even introduced. I've been flocking grips for years and the flock and adhesive from Donjer were among the supplies I had used in the past.

After the article was written, I got an idea that it might be easier if builders could buy an appropriate "kit" instead of hunting and pecking and getting the wrong stuff (which I had often done and which was easy to do). I called Donjer and told them what I was up to and then sent them a rough draft of the article. At that point Jill Goldman got back in touch with me and we discussed the properties needed in the adhesive and actual flock in order for it to work well in exterior applications such as fishing rods.

To make a long story short, we put together the pieces that will give you the best results when working with fishing rods. There are certainly other companies and other types of flocking material that you can use, but you have to be very careful. Some types of flock will rot if used in exterior applications. Some flock is too long and tends to look a bit garish or "funky" on a fishing rod (I had always used flock length of .080, but I persuaded Jill that .040 would feel and look better for use on rod grips).

If I were you, I'd start with the kit and then fill in with more flock and adhesive as your needs require. What Donjer is offering in the form of the kits and related pieces is taylored for use on fishing rods. I'm not saying other stuff won't work, but you may have to go through a long process of trial and error to find stuff that works as well as you would like. The stuff in the Donjer kit is the result of several years of my own trial and error. I've already done the work (and made the mistakes) for you. No need to repeat it, unless you just want to see if you can come up with something better.

You might also want to try the standard suede flock, just for kicks. It's very smooth and the fibers are short. It's almost like having velvet on your rod handles. However, you'll have to decide for yourself if it's going to hold up over the long haul for the use you give your rods. What comes in the kit is a nylon flock material - it's not as smooth but should be many times more durable.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.36.207.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: December 23, 2004 12:18PM

Suggestion: After you put your tape on I would think that it would make it easier to take the tape off if you cut the edges of the tape after the glue is on, maybe with a razor blade Have not done any yet but sounds like a good idea.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster