I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod with no 4 Grip?
Posted by: John Carlton (---.bc.dl.cox.net)
Date: December 22, 2004 12:43AM

OK OK OK i got a fella who wants me to make him a custom rod.Good news right? Well not so good he wants a rod with no 4 grip like the kistler rods the Helium are something like that.I've look at the rod on the site and looks easy but what do they use infront of the reel seat? I cant get a good enough look to tell @#$%& It is is it a big windcheck?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod with no 4 Grip?
Posted by: Randy Parpart (---.nccray.com)
Date: December 22, 2004 12:50AM

Mike Barkley taught me this; you can use either 5 minute epoxy or rod bond or a coat of each until you get the taper the way that you want it. I think Mike tilts his rod with the tip up while it's drying. I didn't do that. I used one layer of 5 minute epoxy and then I sanded it a bit and put alcohol on my finger and used rod bond to touch it up to where I wanted it.

Putter

Posted by: Joe Hepp (205.172.107.---)
Date: December 22, 2004 07:12AM

Putter has pretty much nailed it. A little rod bond, some pigment to match the reel seat color and an alcohol dipped finger/thumb and you will be good to go. Just position the arbor at the leading edge of the seat back about 1/4" or so, to leave a slight void to fill with the rod bond. I'd also suggest sanding the leading edge of the reel seat at a slight angle before munting it to the rod, as a 90º edge can get to be a little uncomfortable depending on how he will hold the rod.

Also check to see if the customer wants the reel seat in an uplocking or downlocking position. I personally like the reel as far forward on the rod as possible (uplocking) on my own no-foregrip rods, but others prefer that it be a little lower on the blank (downlocking).

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: December 22, 2004 08:00AM

How would your customer feel about a 1/2" or 1/4" (Golden Witch has that size) cork ring, sanded to a good taper? Basically a cork winding check. You could turn it on a mandrel to a quite small size. Same with a rubberized cork ring.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: December 22, 2004 08:03AM

John,
A recent article at tackletour.com shows the way they do it at Kistler,
it's in the dropshot rod article. They use a winding check.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 22, 2004 09:14AM

There was also an article in RodMaker by the innovator of the "no-foregrip" rod, Rich Forhan, showing a few ways to finish off the front of the reel seat on such rods.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 22, 2004 10:06AM

I just put a big glob of 5 min epoxey where the seat meets the blank while the rod is on the dryer. I raise the tip end up just a little to get the angle that I want and as the rod turns, the epoxy flows to form a nice wrap right up to the top of the seat. I then wrap right up the slope (or marbelize) If you wrap, don't tie off your thread. Just tape the end up on thr reel seat and when the finish dries, just nick it off with a razor.

I don't want to take credit, I originally saw it done on an Artie Hebert video. I do this a lot. Even on rods with a fore grip, I do it instead of a winding check

[www.fishingphotos.net]

[www.fishingphotos.net]

[www.fishingphotos.net]

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2004 08:30PM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: Sean Walker (---.phxinternet.net)
Date: December 22, 2004 10:47AM

make sure to cut off the excess barrel. The nut (whatever that thing is called) should be flush with the end of the barrel with the reel seated.

Posted by: Matt Procell (---.wkmc.com)
Date: December 22, 2004 10:57AM

I build all my rods no-4 grip.....I have done the epoxy winding check and it works good.Lately I've been using a vinyl winding check.I wrap about two inches of thread in front of that.When I apply my epoxy,I tilt the tip up and run the epoxy flush with the threads.Looks great in my opinion.

I also cut the extra reel seat threads off.Be sure you know what reel he is going to use because if you cut it to close,the nut may hang over the check.Case in point,a chronarch mg requires more thread to be left on the seat than a curado due to the extra thickness of the reel(mg)foot.

matt procell

Posted by: Joe Hepp (205.172.107.---)
Date: December 22, 2004 11:23AM

A lot of good info has been provided, but ..........

If the fella is wanting something akin to a Kistler rod, chances are he wants to be able to place a finger or two directly on the blank while holding the rod. Take a look at a Kistler and you will see that there is nothing but the bare blank right in front of the reel seat.

You might want to check with your customer before you start building epoxy ramps and fancy thread work in front of that reel seat. It may not be what he is after.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2004 11:37AM by Joe Hepp.

Date: December 22, 2004 12:22PM

it looks like a rubber winding check is all that is there.

[www.kistlerrods.com]

Date: December 22, 2004 12:24PM

How do you suppose they hold that in place?

Posted by: Anonymous User (64.53.115.---)
Date: December 22, 2004 04:43PM

Another part that I use for this, is to take a larger size graphite bushing/arbor and turn it down, so their is an ever so slightly cone shaped ramp from the front of the seat, down to the blank. Your finger then rests on the cone shaped ramped and the blank, in a much more comfortable position. I like the looks of this also.

Bob McKamey -- Custom Tackle Supply

Posted by: Cybele Cirie (---.clintn01.ct.comcast.net)
Date: December 22, 2004 04:57PM

Why don't you look at American Tackle's "Vetre Matrix Handle". It will give you that "no foregrip" feel, while giving it a much more finished look. I can tell you, I've fished with it, and it is extremely comfortable.

Posted by: John Dow (---.snet.net)
Date: December 22, 2004 07:55PM

I like Bob Ms suggeastion , I'm going to give that a try ....thanks Bob . JD

Got Fish ?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster