I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

St Croix Blanks
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an1.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: December 21, 2004 08:48AM

Is there a reason why the St Croix Site does not show the SC II Fly blanks?? I see the SC V - IV and III

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: St Croix Blanks
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 21, 2004 10:10AM

You may not want to hear this and I'm not sure how many know about it, but St. Croix will soon be discontinuing both the SCII and SCIII lines. They will return next year with a totally new line comprised of sort of a combination of the best of both worlds. All new models with IPC tooling and higher efficiency. You can ask Dave more about this in Charlotte.

Date: December 21, 2004 10:12AM

Thanks Tom. Had a feeling that was the case? Maybe there will be a lot of discounts on these blanks latter on?? I hope

Posted by: Kurt McKenna (---.neo.rr.com)
Date: December 21, 2004 10:23AM

Bill,

H&H has already started to clearance out the SCII blanks. I was at a major sporting goods retailer over the weekend and saw both the SCII rods and blanks on clearance.

Does this mean that St. Croix is not going to send production for the new SCII/SCIII over seas? If so, good for them. This may renew my intrest in St. Croix.

Posted by: Custom Tackle Supply (---.r8.tncphl.infoave.net)
Date: December 21, 2004 10:35AM

SCII Fly blanks are "NOT" in the 2005 blank catalog, but the SCIII Fly blanks still remain in the 2005 blank catalog.

Bob McKamey -- Custom Tackle Supply

Date: December 21, 2004 10:36AM

The only thing is with the new technology will come higher prices?? A lot of these companies give this stuff a new name like the matrix and then raise there prises

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 21, 2004 10:39AM

Although I hate to hear it, in conversations I've had with them, St. Croix is conceding the low end (inexpensive) blank market to their competitors. I think they're making a mistake and have some tremendous advantages in the lower end market, but their current thinking is much different from mine. Dave will be in Charlotte and would appreciate hearing the thoughts of the rod builders on this sort of thing.

Date: December 21, 2004 10:51AM

Good point. I find that some customers know st croix but like a moderate action rod. This change will cause more people to go to say Rainshadow. That will make Bill happy LOL

Posted by: D. Rob Grider (---.digitalgroup.net)
Date: December 21, 2004 03:31PM

Are we only talking only about the fly blanks or are we talking of doing away with the spinning/etc. blanks as well? If so what a shame to see the SCII spinning blanks go bye-bye, one of the better values out there in my opinion.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: December 21, 2004 04:19PM

What production rods does St. Croix use the SCII and SCIII blanks in?

Mark

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: December 21, 2004 04:31PM

D. Rob: Think you meant SCIII, there are no SCII spinning or casting blanks. But I agree, their lowest price spinning/casting blanks (SCIII, basis of the Premier rods) are a great value and there's a really extensive selection. The same SCIII material is used for their excellent "inshore" blanks/rods.

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.365u.will.k12.il.us)
Date: December 21, 2004 04:40PM

Tom (Doyle that is)

SCII is used for the premier series of spinning and casting rods. SCIII is the avid series. So SCII is definately used for casting/spinning.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 21, 2004 04:45PM

I use quite a few SCII & SCIII spining and casting blanks and really like the. They are excellent blanks (They do make SCII). I hope they aren't getting rid of those

Mike

Posted by: Jeff Schatz (---.central.biz.rr.com)
Date: December 21, 2004 06:29PM

Sorry to hear this. I own a few "Premier" factory rods and have caught many fish from smallmouth bass to big tarpon on them with no failures and a nice action.

In fact, they are a favorite of guides in Florida for inshore wreck, reef and flats fishing.

Posted by: Rob Grider (---.client.insightBB.com)
Date: December 21, 2004 07:59PM

Tom, actually there is a rather complete line up of SCII spinning blanks which are suprisingly fast and light, with really very little difference in performance from the SCIII blanks and priced a little lower.

Posted by: Dean Veltman (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: December 21, 2004 08:49PM

It was a St. Croix Premier (scII) that got me interested in higher quality rods, and therefore eventually rodbuilding. That premier got me started with st. croix, and while I build on other companies blanks too, it is probably part of the reason st. croix is my favorite blank company. I hope they do not do away with a entry level product as it will probably lead to the customer buying "up the line" in the future as I have done.

Posted by: George Mason (---.ec.rr.com)
Date: December 22, 2004 05:55AM

Here's hoping they bring whatever they have left over from what they are going to discontinue to Charlotte.

My Mistake
Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: December 22, 2004 08:22AM

I was having a bad day. Yes, SCII is the Premier series! Thanks guys.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster