I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Size 18 reel seat for 6'6" light spin
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.a.001.brs.iprimus.net.au)
Date: December 19, 2004 11:18PM

G'day guys,
Just a quick question I have an order for a lite spin rod, and he claims size 16 reel seat feels small in his hand (one of those blokes with big fists you need the services everynow and again). My Question is can I use a 18 reel seat and cut it length down. What are the pitfalls of doing something like this and if anyone has done it how do they feel about the finished product.

Thanks again Guys,
Myles
Brisbane, Australia

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Size 18 reel seat for 6'6" light spin
Posted by: Spencer Phippss (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: December 20, 2004 12:55AM

Myles,
It's being done all the time, even St Croix looks like they are doing it on their production Legend Elite spinning rods, I believe 17 mm reelseat on their other spinning rods. Kistler and St Croix Legeng Elite are both using Fuji NPS type reelseats so it's becoming mainstream. If you blend your cork into the reelseat it looks just fine. G Loomis has used the 17 mm seat on their rods forever for the same reason, improved comfort.

Posted by: Ted Morgan (213.55.68.---)
Date: December 20, 2004 03:22AM

Use a size 17 or 18 SKELETON seat. On top of being able to trim the threaded barrel to suit the customer, you can also shorten the length of the insert barrel.

I have the same problem, except that with an "ergo" insert I can now grip a size 16 without too much cramping. With a size 17 skeleton it would be perfect.

Date: December 20, 2004 06:51AM

Thanks guys,
This guys hands are huge, I think I will drop down a size to a 17 as the 18 is the reel is loose.

Thanks again
Myles

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: December 20, 2004 07:03AM

Myles,
I too have large hands and a size 16 seat is very uncomfortable. I use size 18's on my spinning rods. I haven't made an ultralite rod for myself but if I do I will use a size 17 and put a shim where the reel feet fit into the seat.
Cheers, Ellis

Posted by: Joe Hepp (205.172.107.---)
Date: December 20, 2004 07:36AM

I have started using 18mm seats on all my personal spinning rods, as they are a little easier on my arthritis. Going from 16mm to 18mm might not seem like much, but it makes a big difference over a long day of fishing. I also cut down the threaded section (usually a 1/2 inch or so), as it's really not needed for most freswater spinning reels. Only down size is if ya cut it too short; measure twice & cut once.

The pic below is of my most recent rod which has a cut down 18mm seat. Doesn't look half bad to me, but I am a little biased.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 20, 2004 10:42AM

Reel seats should fit the hand of the person who will be using the rod. Most anglers find larger seats to be more comfortable over the course of a day's fishing. I've built many ultra-light spinning rods with size 20 reel seats. I really can't even imagine using something as small as a 16 on any spinning rod, unless it would be for a child. 18 seems to be a good all around size unless the person has extremely small or large hands.

When cutting the barrel length shorter, make sure you can still open it far enough to allow the intended reel to be inserted. Any extra can be cut/removed and will never be missed.

Date: December 20, 2004 05:24PM

Tom, How do you get over the wobble in the reelseat, is there a better way to sure up the reel foot rather than a couple of match sticks or tape.

Myles

Posted by: George Thurston (---.faa.gov)
Date: December 21, 2004 07:25AM

Joe,

Looks great.

A lighter reel may help that arthritis.

;-)

(disclaimer: Joe and I have been having the reel 'discussion' for ages)

Date: December 21, 2004 09:10AM

Hey George,
What part of the FAA do you work in.
Myles

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster