I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Repairing a crush in a fiberglass rod.
Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 19, 2004 09:52PM

I have a True Temper Unispin that has a crush in the butt section of the blank. It's a fiberglass blank. I know the rod combo is an antique and a collectors item, so I probably won't be using it. But I would still like to fix it and make it look half decent. How would I go about fixing the damage.

Thanks,
Bill in WV

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Repairing a crush in a fiberglass rod.
Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.nas3.saint-louis1.mo.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: December 19, 2004 10:04PM

I'm very interested in answers to this one as I almost posted a similar question myself today out of general curiousity.

I've never been asked to repair a glass rod. Doing graphite repairs, fiberglass is used. What is used for fiberglass repair? My common sense is confused on this one. Part of me thinks fiberglass as well, but my other and sometimes dumber side of me thinks using glass might be bad, for the same reason that we don't use graphite to fix graphite?

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 20, 2004 12:43AM

I think the best method available is to insert an inside length of fiberglass as near as possible to the inside taper of the original blank. Extend it well beyond the crush point - because the fractures will extend beyond the crushed area - likely several inches. Use rod bond on the inside
"ferrule". Set the piece in a rod dryer (as you would use for turning guides) and allow to dry. Once the repair is dry over coat with a thin coat of guide epoxy. The objective is to fill in any remaining splits - NO BUILDUP of finish beyond the original. Overwrap with white silk or size A nylon (silk I think is actually better) beyond any possible "splits". Apply another thing coat of lite build guide epoxy with no CP - this will allow the original color of the blank to show through. I think you'll find that the rod may actually be "fishable" again.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 20, 2004 01:41AM

Thanks Ken,

That was fast. Where would I get the fiberglass "ferrule"? Could I use a section from an old rod?

Bill in WV

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: December 20, 2004 05:04AM

You can use a old fiberglass from a old rod. I would use Rod Bond to glue the repair plug in-place. After you have you have place the plug in the desired area and befor the Rod Bond cures. I would clean up the outside area where the bond seep threw with alcahol and wipe clean. Then I would wrap the affected area with 00 or A thread let it set over night and then place a finish coat over the wrap.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 20, 2004 10:06AM

Bill,
Yes, likely any chunk off a broken hollow fiberglass rod will work in the butt section. This is an area of the rod that isn't likely to flex very much.
Folks can correct/comment on the next part: I think that the idea of using fiberglas inserts on mid and tip sections is that the flex of fiberglas will not further alter (too much) the original flex of a graphite rod. The earliest "repair kits" that were offered by Clemens Custom Tackle (now out of business) include various lengths/thicknesses of "raw" graphite material for inserts and were (I THINK) better for repairs to thin tip sections - although they too changed the overall "action" of the rod.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster