I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tip too Small
Posted by: Chuck Antle (---.unx.sas.com)
Date: March 08, 2002 12:33AM

A few days ago I asked for advice on cutting a couple inches off the tip of a graphite blank (Lamiglas gsb1502mh). I ended up using a triangle file which worked great, thanks for the advice.

Now I've got what I hope is a minor problem... the tip I have (Fuji SiC, tube size 12) is too small, barely. Looks like the next bigger size is a 14. I dont have a 14 on hand, but assume it'd be way too big.

Whats the best way to handle this? Though it wouldnt take much, sanding down the blank to make the 12 fit doesnt seem like a good idea. Can I build up the tip with a wrap of D thread to make the 14 a closer fit?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tip too Small
Posted by: Bill Doherty (---.rdu.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 08, 2002 06:43AM

Chuck,

Yes you can. That would be my choice.

Bill Doherty

Posted by: John Burford (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: March 08, 2002 07:43AM

yep your on the right track what i do when i have the same type of problem is wrap it but dont have your thread right next to each other i spread it out a little more like a chris cross pattern that way your epoxy will adhear better and you will not have any problems hope this helps ...John T Burford aka Tightline Rod's

Posted by: Chuck Antle (---.unx.sas.com)
Date: March 08, 2002 10:21AM

Thanks for the responses guys. Got a couple of followup questions:

- Do you apply any finish to this wrap first, or just glue the tip right on it.
- Do you do any kind of tapered wrap below the tip, to make the transition from blank to oversized tip tube less obvious?

Posted by: John Burford (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: March 08, 2002 12:29PM

myself i just epoxy the tip then i always apply a little trim wrap to carry the look all through the rod if u need do your wrap a little longer and keep that part tight toughther and use it as a sorta underwrap as per say and then trim it out cp if need b then epoxy you will never notice the size difference
John T Burford aka Tightline Rod's

Posted by: Dick Thurston (---.midtn.chartertn.net)
Date: March 09, 2002 08:42AM

When you put finish on the trim wrap bring it on over about an 1/8" onto the tip tube - any differences in diameter will disappear.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster