I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

"Popping" vs. "Spinning" blank - differences ?
Posted by: Don Eurillo (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: December 19, 2004 03:41PM

Esteemed Rodbuilding Folk,

Having never actually "popped" for trout, salmon, bass or walleye, I am curious as to what these things are. I am thinking of picking up a couple of 6'6" blanks labeled as "popping" blanks, only because I want to try a particular manufacturer's high-end blanks, and these are all that I can find. Finished rods would be used for walleye/smallmouth jigging and live bait. My question: will "popping" blanks function well, or better to look elsewhere for "spinning" blanks ?

Thanks and Happy Holidays !

Don Eurillo
deurillo2@stny.rr.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: "Popping" vs. "Spinning" blank - differences ?
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 19, 2004 03:49PM

"The blank knows not what it will be used for". Choose the blank by the size, butt diameter, tip size, length, line wt, lure wt or any other comparable measurement from manufacturer to manufacturer.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.lsil.com)
Date: December 19, 2004 04:05PM

Really depends on the manufacturer and the blanks power rating. USUALLY (being as general as I can be), the 2 power 6 to 12 lb blanks are fast actioned with light tips, aren't to bad a choice for smallmouth,live bait, also not a bad crankbait rod, likes 6 to 8 lb line best. Makes a passable drop shot/finesse rod.
4 power blanks are more moderate actioned so they can be used for bait without throwing delicate baits like live shrimp off, wouldn't be a bad worm rig blank for walleyes or larger deep crankbaits, use my 7 ft 4 power rods for spinner fishing small stream steelhead all the time, a natural 12 lb line rod, usually.
Hope this helps some. More specific info would narrow it down some.

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: December 19, 2004 06:13PM

Popping rods, correct me if I am wrong, originated on the Gulf Coast. Originally they were made using 7 foot medium powered blanks to cast a float with a short leader and live shrimp for bait. You made the cast and popped the float to attract the fish to your bait. Most of these blanks are rated for 10 to 14 lb. line and for lures or float in the 1/4 to 3/4 ounce range or there abouts. I have made popping rods from all sorts of blanks as long as I stayed in the pound and lure range mentioned above. I just made my son a popping rod using a Pac Bay mag bass blank. I chose the blank based on the action, power and lure range rather than the type of blank. Like Ken says, the fish will never know the difference.
Cheers, Ellis

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster