I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Lure trajectory
Posted by: Randie Putnal (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 07, 2002 10:47PM

Anyone notice any differences in lure projectory on a acid wrap (spiral) rod vs a normal rod in pitching thnxs

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lure trajectory
Posted by: Buddy Sanders (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 08, 2002 12:10AM

Randie,

Due to the fulcrum point of the pitch being more stable and focused, the trajectory is straighter 'side to side' AND up and down.

The tendency for the line to run along the guide surface on an upside down guide ('normal' wrapped pitching rod) causes a slight 'dip' and slide to the side during the forward swing of the lure: As you swing the bait forward, the line shifts from being held to side of the guide by the rod to the lower center of the guide once the bait gets in front of the guide. Since the guide's circumference is circular and on the vertical plane, the line moves downwards AND inwards during the swing.

So, with a spiral wrap, the lure moves in a 'less effected' plane. Because the guide is on the bottom of the rod, the line's path is not effected by the width of the rod. It starts out in the center (or very close to it) of the tip guide, and stays there throughout the pitch.

So, given two identical rods, one with a 'conventional ' upside down wrap and one with a spiral wrap, the spiral wrap rod would pitch straighter (AND farther AND more accurately) given the same inertia and angler skill level.

Of course, this difference is slight, but it is there. One of the values of a 'custom' rod is picking up all those 'little' benefits. Each one adds up, and is what makes such a rod superior to premade 'mass prioduced' offerings.

If you pitch a lot, you have to try it. You'll really like it. (if you don't, let me know. I might buy the rod from you....)

Good Luck!

Buddy

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: March 08, 2002 07:29AM

I cannot notice any difference. The trajectory that your lure takes has much more to do with how you cast that it does with where your guides are located. The lure and/or line has no idea where the guides are in relation to the rod. The lure is cast off the tip of the rod and where the line is channeled from will have little if any effect on casting trajectory.

Some years ago I fashioned a sort of "casting machine" where various rods and casts could be conducted in a verbatim fashion. I never saw any difference in trajectory between rods wrapped with various styles of guide set-ups and I was able to achieve true relative results as the power and motion of each cast could be set to be duplicated exactly.

Posted by: Randie Putnal (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 08, 2002 06:29PM

Here is a picture that I found on another website and I was curious of your thoughts. Do you guys hold your reel sideways when you pitch? This theory proves Mr Sanders wrong and I kinda agree with the picture shown at this web url address [spotcountry.com]

Posted by: Stuart Mackenzie (---.syd.ops.aspac.uu.net)
Date: March 08, 2002 07:53PM

Guides has nothing much at all to do with acuracy at all. I build rods for compatition casters which rely on this 100% and I can tell you now that you are barking up the wrong tree if you think you are going to get better acuracy due to guid set up or if its a spiral wrap. The handle set up is the big problem here, and the designe I have come up with greatly increses acuracy out of sight. For starters your rist must be kinked up and supported by the reel seat if this is done thene your acuracy with some practice should be almost 100%

Stuart

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 08, 2002 08:39PM

The trajectory of the lure is created by the caster, not the rod. And the guides being round the line has no idea whether it is in the top, bottom or side of the ring. The lure pulls the line out so once it leaves the tip top its trajectory is already determined no matter what you do with the guides.

But the spiral wrap does give you that perfect stability. That's the main reason for using it and I'm not sure we really need any other reason. Casting distance and ease should be the same.

Defending my point
Posted by: Buddy Sanders (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 09, 2002 01:24AM

I'll try this, since I think I'm correct (operative word is 'think', I'll readily admit that I might be wrong. I'm wrong a lot...).

A pitch is 'different' from a 'normal' cast, in that the line is using the guide as a 'fulcrum' point. It's not just 'passing through', it's 'swinging' on the guide like a pendulum.

Yes, the 'skill' of the caster will ALWAYS be the determining factor in accuracy/distance/control of a pitched lure.

Still, all things being equal, the line staying 'put' in the bottom of the guide would seem to make the cast more consistent than when it's sliding downwards and inwards from the side of the guide to the bottom once the line passes the tip of the rod.

If the angler pitches with his rod straight, then this effect would be magnified. Some guys have always 'canted' or turned their rods during the pitch, which lessens this effect. Still, if the rod is turned during the pitch, it must be turned back by the time the bait hits the water, or control at entry is lessened (I won't go into the difference between good 'normal' casting mechanics and difference in 'pitching' mechanics here...).

As far as whether it makes a difference or not in observable 'in the field' accuracy or control, I'd be surprised if it did. There are too many variables involved in the mechanics of a pitch, most of which would easily outweigh ANY slight advantage. Still, in a totally theoretical sense, I still maintain that the physics of it are pretty straightforward and the 'advantage' is there.

As far as 'normal' overhand casting distance and accuracy, I've not seen anything that makes the spiral superior to the 'normal' wrap. I do like the way the line is managed on underhanded or sideways casts with the spiral wrap, and again maintain that there is a 'theoretical' advantage due to the position of the tip guide.

By the way, I saw a picture of an angler on the cover of a bass fishing magazine (latest issue of the 'Inside Line'). He was 'swinging' a bass over the side of his boat with his conventionally wrapped flipping stick. The tip guide and the one immediately below it were torqued 180 degrees. I doubt that this can be very 'good' for the rod, but lots of guys do it and it's a true testament to how durable the rod blanks are today.

I like these esoteric discussions of theoretical 'advantages', but I do know that in 'actual' fishing condtions, it matters not hardly at all.

Good Luck!

Buddy

Re: Defending my point
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: March 09, 2002 09:46AM

Buddy,

The line will move in the guide exactly the same way whether the rod is wrapped with guides on top or in the spiral fashion. On round guide, there is no bottom and no top. The line will move and/or position itself in the guide ring exactly the same regardless of where the blank my be in relation to the guides.

Under pressure the line always seeks the lowest point. And on any round guide, the place the line settles into would be considered the bottom. On a guides on top rod, the bottom of the ring is where the guide feet are. On a spiral wrapped rod, the bottom of the ring is the point furtherest from the guide feet. If you turn your rig sideways to cast, the bottom of the ring is 90 degrees to the guide feet.

I tried both set ups on the "machine" several years ago and could not detect any difference in trajectory or distance.

I apologize if I am missing something here. This may be one of those things you can only explain in photos.

Re: Defending my point
Posted by: Brad Tharp (---.kscable.com)
Date: March 09, 2002 01:00PM

I notice no difference in trajectory when pitching with Revolver Rods. When customers call and ask this question, I tell them the casting distance is the same as conventional rods and I notice no difference in trajectory. However, it is my customers who think the trajectory is lower and they seem to like it that way when pitching.

I don't know if the trajectory is lower or not but I do know that spiral rods are more stable. The stability alone is all the difference I need.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster