I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

More on boron
Posted by: Emory Harry (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: December 19, 2004 12:29AM

Ken,
I started a new thread because the previous one was getting pretty far down.
If I under stand the American Tackle Matrix Series, and I will admit that it is a big IF, then I am not sure that I buy it for the following reason.
The full modulus of elasticity is only realized if the fibers run straight up the blank. If the fibers are at an angle or across the blank then the effective modulus drops as a function of this angle. For example, if the fibers are at a 45 degree angle across the blank then the effective modulus is reduced by 50%. However, the advantage of a lower modulus fiber, which is higher strain energy or toughness, is not realized. Or in other words, by constructing the blank so that the fibers are at an angle results in lower effective modulus but not with the benefit that goes with beginning with fibers that have a lower modulus which is higher toughness.

It is interesting that this is a problem with many blanks. When a blank is constructed the material is tacked onto the mandrel so that the fibers are lined up so that they go directly up the mandrel or are parallel to the mandrel. However, because the mandrel is tapered after successive wraps the fibers become misalligned. You can see this in many blanks that are not coated or clear coated. You can see a dark line that spirals up the blank. This is the edge of the material. The result is that the effective modulus of the blank drops from the butt end to the tip. Which is exactly the opposite of what you would prefer to happen. The drop in modulus as you get closer to the tip is more significant on faster taper blanks like Hot Shot blanks and less so on slower taper blanks like fly rods. Some blanks, particularly longer blanks are constructed of multiple pieces of material and each piece that is added is realligned which helps to offset this drop in modulus.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: More on boron
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 19, 2004 12:28PM

Well - I haven't seen the Matrix series in person only the advertizing. I'll have to reread and think about your second paragraph - with pencil/paper in hand.

On your third paragraph - likely one of the best examples of what you describe is highly visible in fast taper stand-up rods. The first time I saw it I thought it was a defective blank --- then I looked at the rest of the shipment of 6 blanks and they all had that 'shadow line'. I suppose this is why I like the CalStar super fast taper stand-up and trolling blanks (primarly 660 series) blanks so much. Despite the narrow tip section they're very tough.

Getting out the pencil / graph paper and tapered rod blank (to simulate a mandrel).....

Date: December 19, 2004 01:17PM

Ken,
I wrapped a piece of graph paper around a tapered piece of graphite as you suggested and immediately realized that I had said something in my previous post that was really stupid. The line that spirals around the blank and can be seen on some non-coated or clear coated blanks is not because the fibers are misalligned. It is due to the fact that the piece of material, the prepreg, that is wrapped around the mandrel is tapered. What you see is the edge of the material. You can not see the misallignment of the fibers on any blank that I have. It is obvious with your graph paper experiment though.

Date: December 19, 2004 04:12PM

Emory --
I have another "adventure in epoxy" experiment. I went up the street to the local boat builder and picked up some thin fiberglass woven roving and wetting/curing agent. Then went to visit a local machine shop friend of mine who tapered a 6' length of steel rod for me. My dog was happy to go with me to the machine shop but had a very nervous look on her face at the smell of epoxy at the boat builders... Now she's refusing to come out to the garage. Just standing in the doorway wondering what the heck I'm up to now. What prompted all this? Well I don't have access to thin prepeg/scrim but still thought I might experiment with "linear alignment" of the roving. I'm a "hands-on" or "gotta see this" sort who can visualize the concept but I was having trouble keeping the spiral + taper + alignment of the material sorted out. Next thing I have to find is cellophane tape without glue. Likely what I'll wind up with is something akin to an antenna more than a fishing rod. What's the purpose of all this? A couple of things. First I want to understand what angling the cloth in relationship to the mandrel and how much 'waste' results. Second I want to really understand the mechanics of the process (yes, I expect a gooey mess). Third - I'm off work until well after New Year so I've got some extra time to "play".

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.nas3.saint-louis1.mo.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: December 19, 2004 09:57PM

And I thought I was weird for being so interested in fading!!! Making your own blank in the garage? Now THIS is a rodbuilder!

Actually it sounds pretty interesting Ken. Keep us posted on what you do and find out! If nothing else, maybe just reverse the regular tape so glue side is out?

(I've hit post a couple of times on this and nothing has happened, so my apologies if a whole bunch of these show up)

Date: December 19, 2004 10:18PM

Ken,
If you are really serious about building your own experimental blank I think that I can get an old mandrel and some prepreg for you to play with. I think that Mick is right, you are certainly more ambitious than I am.

Date: December 20, 2004 12:20AM

My dog is VERY scared now! I laid out the mat on the garage floor (bad plan) the one car will just have to live outside for awhile. Mostly though I found crawling around on my knees too hard so I started to fabricate a dryer... not really fancy 'cause I plan on doing this only once or twice. So I converted the pull down table that I use for stained glass into a layout table that I think will work ok -- at least I can save my knees. One real concern that I have is that the garage is not heated -- and it's 25 degrees outside. I guess I'll have to bring in some heat .. maybe the propane heater that I used to use for drywall will work...
Now I really wish I had paid more attention to the segment that Batson Enterprises had up on their site ... or had taken Sharon Johnson's offer of a tour of All Star... See there are exactly ZERO manufacturers within 500 miles of me... So this could be a real learning experience --- kind of like the one I had in making my own bamboo planing forms......

Date: December 20, 2004 12:27PM

Ken,
Rod making, video tape and DVD making, writing articles, shop remodeling, stained glass making, tool making, speaking several languages, and now fiberglas blank making! You are a pretty amazing fella. When do you find time to go fishing?
You are going to get fiber glass in your fingers with this project though and wish that you had not started it if you do not wear surgical gloves. That is the voice of experience you hear.
The poor dog can not figure out what the heck you are up to this time and is probably afraid that you might try to use her tail to apply polyester resin.

Date: December 20, 2004 07:52PM

Emory ---
Surgical gloves are a MUST for this for sure - and doubled up at that. I did a really stupid thing a couple of years ago with fiberglass. I was playing first mate for a friend and needed to get up to the bow to kick the anchor free. I used an old antenna (fiberglas rod with electronics embedded) as a balancing point. BAD mistake. It took over a week before I was able to get enough of it out of my hand so I could close it without pain. The next week I went down to his boat and resealed the antenna for him.
Right now it's just too darned cold to fool with this project. When I got up this morning it was 12 degrees (around 6:30) and the temperature is supposed to drop back down again tonight - I think we got all the way up to 30 degrees today. However the weather is supposed to moderate by Wednesday - back up to 50 or so - perfect pneumonia weather. I did think about doing this in the basement but I would like the shop to remain neat and clean until after the New Year.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster