I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Site Suggestion
Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 18, 2004 06:33PM

Tom I wonder if you are familar with a publication called Primitive Archer. They have a very similar set up to what you have with Rodmaker and this site. Just recently they decided to make their website and message board accessable only to subscribers of the Primitive Archer magazine. They felt that having a free public site was harming their magazine sales.

I don't know that much about it but with this new format and ability to register which I assume you can make required instead of just optional, you could limit this site only to Rodmaker readers. Just a thought. I'm sure the people who own Primitive Archer would be happy to discuss it publisher to publisher and let you know how it has worked out for them. Just some food for thought.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Site Suggestion
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.136.111.92.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: December 18, 2004 06:49PM

bad idea, limit of this site to magazine subscribers is the worst thing to do. I got the magazine because of the site.
what next background check for subscribing to magazine??

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 18, 2004 06:53PM

I am familar with it and understand why they did what they did. However, I would prefer that there be at least one feature laden website for rod builders that does not charge a fee or require you to join anything in order to gain access to helpful information. Without a progressive rod building trade group, there is little incentive for anyone to create a site similar to this and offer it for free to aspiring rod builders. And without such a site, the craft will not grow or will only grow much more slowly.

I know there are other rod building websites on the internet and a few of them are quite good. But I'm not aware of any that have the range of features this one does - A photo page, a rod builder directory, a FAQs page, a rod building glossary, a buy/sell page and an online library of rod building articles. I could probably charge a fee, and get it, for this site. But that would defeat the purpose of why I started it in the first place.

RodMaker has more than enough subscribers. I really neither wish to lock anyone out from here or force anyone to join or buy anything in order to use this place. I appreciate the suggestion and can't rule anything out in the future, but for the time being I think I'll keep things just as they are.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 18, 2004 06:55PM

I agree with Jim. I don't know, but I would imagine that a significant number of the subscriptions come from the web site. I never heard of Rodmaker until I stumbled across this site and I'm sure that is the case for many.

The two complement each other very well and I'm sure that it is a strong benefit to the sponsors. The magazine (any magazine) reaches only a VERY small portion of the people involved in a hobby.

Mike

Posted by: Sammy Mickel (64.53.8.---)
Date: December 18, 2004 06:59PM

I've been picking up thier publication for over a year now but I don't like the way they have set up thier access. The question that pops to mind is "are they doing everything they can to help thier market grow?" If you have a site limited to subscribers how many possible newcomers are you turning away? I relize I'm not Tom but on same hand I no of no one else that has freely amassed some much information to help the rodmaking industry. It just seems like it would be going against the grain to have limited access here.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 18, 2004 07:01PM

Actually the site benefits more from the magazine than the magazine does from the site. Believe it or not, but it's the other way around. And proceeds from the magazine are used to subsidize this site. Without the magazine this site couldn't exist in the form it currently does.

There is no question that many people do not subscribe to the magazine because they believe this site has an equal volume and quality of information (it does not). Many have told me exactly that. So be it.

As I said, I'm not planning to lock anyone out, subscriber or not. This site will remain open to the public at no charge. I haven't even given slight consideration to doing anything different.

It will be interesting to see if the Primitive Archer's circulation increases or decreases in the near future.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2004 07:05PM by Tom Kirkman.

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 18, 2004 09:10PM

Okay I understand. Good point. But I hope those who don't get the magazine appreciate what the magazine is funding for them here.

Posted by: Russ Vance (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: December 18, 2004 09:23PM

There is a magazine!?!

Posted by: Ricky Wilson (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: December 18, 2004 10:22PM

Sure. What did you think those big banners up top with the bold "RODMAKER MAGAZINE" were?

If the finances are okay then count me in as another who prefer to just see things stay as they are. And yes I do get the magazine and think it's great.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: December 19, 2004 05:47AM

Please correct me if I am wrong. Before this site RodMaker mag was being published. At that time most subscribers were custom rod builders. At that time there was only one other mag. out there to purchase. With the RodMaker mag. the rod building site evolved. This as this site has grown with leaps and bounds the hobbyist builders now have come in groves to learn the fine art of rod building. Those who wanted more in-depth rod building knowledge started ordering RodMaker. I believe the 2 work well together. Tom keep up the excellent work
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.248.70.75.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: December 19, 2004 09:26AM

I still think Tom has an old willow tree out in the back yard with a pot of gold burred under it?? LOL people keep telling him to charge for this and that and are willing to pay for it. But then as said there are a lot of new builders that come here and ask questions that would be bared from other sites because they don't pay for it. This site has grown only because of the ease of access and the people on it that do not expect any reward for what they give

( I'll give an a-men ) Great work Tom And a very Mery Christmas

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster