I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Things I have learned...
Posted by: Cindy Harlow (---.ev1.net)
Date: December 18, 2004 02:49AM

First, someone went and changed the board on me while I was reading and playing around. I like it!

I have discovered that micas make great pigments to both 1 and 2 part rod finish. You've got to keep it stirred up or it will settle, but WOW, it gives it a shimmer. Works best on grey or dark colored blanks instead of light colored ones but I'm going to try again on a piece of white blank I have laying around. In regular room light it looks almost clear but once sunlight or a bright light hits it, it's almost like those "rainbow" titanium guides. I used mica designed for both stamp art and some FDA grade for soaps, lotions and such. The FDA grade seemed to mix smoother and didn't take as much. (Please, Santa, bring me a new camera, I've GOT to post a pic of this).

I have also learned that I can get some really weird looks from both my husband and my children when I come skipping back from the mailbox singing "My book is here, my book is here." Tom, I've read that book from cover to cover once already and now I'm going back through it again. There is so much information in there. If anyone is just starting out, get Tom Kirkman's book. It's a must for any rod building workshop.

The other really important thing I've learned, this is more addicting than cheesecake. And I really like cheesecake :)

Now off to bed. I've got a rod to rebuild in the morning.

Cindy Harlow
Resident Threadaholic

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Things I have learned...
Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 18, 2004 06:21AM

Oh, Oh,,,,, Cindy you have it bad!!!!!!

Good fortune with your rod building and have enjoyable times doing it.

Capt Neil

Posted by: John Dow (---.snet.net)
Date: December 18, 2004 06:47AM

Now comes the hard part . give the credit cards to your husband , and find a good shrink .........you will need it .NO chevrons on top of birthday cakes , and leave all of your kitchen utensiles alone, exspecialy things like mixing spoons , and measureing sets. Buy extra ones for rodbuilding, you don't know how many times I've got the look 'cuz somthing was missing in the kitchen drawrs.
Have fun , and I hope you get your camera , I'ld like to see the pics of the mica rod. John

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.195.76.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: December 18, 2004 07:28AM

John is right. But I can see it now - all your wine glasses, any thing that is round in shape will have a thread pattern on it. Nice thing for guists to talk about over dinner. How about Marbleized dinner plates???

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 18, 2004 10:01AM

Cindy ---
What is your source for mica - FDA grade? I assume that is the finer of those that you mentioned? Something else for me to play with.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.195.76.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: December 18, 2004 10:12AM

Ken
Your going to get your new ( clean ) work area all messed up LOL

Date: December 18, 2004 10:51AM

HA ha ha ha ---- Too late! You've only seen two of the three sides in
the photos. The third side of the work area is now under "destruction" in preparation for a rebuild. Besides I use click-lock flooring (Pergo-type) for the countertop surfaces. I've tested epoxy on it - wipes up easily & pops off after hardened. Heck I was so happy with the look of it I covered the new roll-arounds with it too. The roll-arounds are one of the major improvements in work flow. I mounted a wood lathe and a rod/cork turning lathe and spine finder on one of them back to back and a drill press, bandsaw, dremel belt/disc sander, vise on the other. Very nice to be able to move them out of the way - not take up counter surface space... Now I have room for the coffee machine & small tv/dvd. And I suspended a camera overhead.. and all new lighting (overhead flouresecents plus incandescent/halogen task lights. There are no dark corners anywhere! Now I'm moving on to a re-deisgn of side #3 (the original bench space). This time I can extend it out to 12'... It's crying for a Renzetti!

Date: December 18, 2004 03:13PM

Ken,

The place I got the FDA mica was [www.soapwerks.com] They also have a polyester fine glitter that has no silcone coating on it like standard craft glitter. Tried that in some Perma Gloss and it distributes well, but you have to put on at least 2 coats without glitter to cover up the "bumps" it causes.

I decided on the FDA mica for use mainly because it's a "purer" form, doesn't have any oddball additives in it since it's, well, for the skin. Polymer Clay Express has some pigment mica that is just as fine, and that's where I get my rubber stamp mica. But I suspect they put an anti-clumping agent in it since it took it twice as long to dry. You can find them at [www.polymerclayexpress.com]

Now, who in the world can survive without having at least 4 sets of measuring spoons and a gazillion different mixing bowls (those little mini muffin pans work great for this)? As for everything having thread patterns on it, I'm gonna have to hit the local store for more stuff. I got hooked on stain glass painting and wire bead work about 3 years ago and all my wine glasses became the beneficiary of that. Which is okay, we perfer highball glasses here :)

But the marbleized dinner plates? Hmmmm, now that you have me thinking....

Cindy Harlow
Resident Threadaholic

Date: December 18, 2004 06:20PM

Thanks, Cindy
Yeah, the folks at the local Safeway are beginning to wonder what anyone could possibly do with all those measuring spoons! I gave up on mixing bowls - there's a local supplier for caterers that has disposable "condiment" cups in a couple of different sizes. When I'm finished mixing epoxy and such I just toss them out along with the brushes.

Date: December 20, 2004 08:03PM

... digging up my Sam's card for my trip on Wednesday. Think they have those condiment cups too.

Cindy Harlow
Resident Threadaholic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster