I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Rod Builders Magazine : (
Posted by: John Carlton (---.bc.dl.cox.net)
Date: December 18, 2004 03:43PM

Myles Boon your comments are just comments calling me names will only show how dumb you aussies are. I can teach you more than the magazine i've probably forgot more than you will ever learn.If i published a magazine i would want Honest comments such as mine.I dont remember talking trash about you this is the wrong place to be calling names after all you are in Australia. And for Mark loften you are right i havent seen the old magazines i build rods for a living you know to feed my little girl. Im was asking a question to people to see if they feel like the RodMaker magazine is alittle Cheap. And it seems kinda fifty fifty.I am glad you guys like the book and im sure ill like it to.When and if it ever has anything in it i can use.For me to learn something would make it well worth it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 18, 2004 04:46PM

It's not fifty/fifty. The average industry renewal rate for all and any type publications is just 37% percent. RodMaker holds an industry beating 75% which is simply outstanding and shows that most subscribers like it just fine. So it would appear the numbers are more like 75/25 and even then many who do not renew don't drop it because they feel it's "cheap" but rather because they die, move, lose interest, etc. That's why I say it doesn't bother me if some don't like the magazine - from a practical standpoint, the magazine is being done as well as it can be done per industry stats.

John, You really need to talk to me about a refund now. After your second issue that option will no longer be on the table. I only offer refunds after one issue and I really do not feel this magazine is for you. Please let me know what you want to do.

Shai, Your email address is invalid. Future posts will require a correct address or you will no longer be able to post here. Thanks.

The one thing we won't do on this site is trade insults. I will not hesitate to permanently ban anyone who even begins to step out of bounds regarding the rules. No flames, no insults and no bad language. Period. That goes for everybody.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2004 05:01PM by Tom Kirkman.

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 18, 2004 06:38PM

No offense or insult to John or Shai, but I wonder if the magazine isn't just a bit over your heads. Maybe that's why you can't find anything of interest. You're not at that level yet. I've been building for almost two decades and now and consider myself a pretty fair and pretty intelligent builder but I still find good information and learn things in each issue. If I was just starting out I might not recognize the true value of much of the information in Rodmaker. You have to crawl before you can walk and I'm sure some of the articles and information is beyond those who are only yet grasping the basics. This is one reason I think the new Beginners Corner in the most recent issue will be a good column. Eventually it will help get everybody up to speed.

Posted by: Daren Howard (---.sbc.com)
Date: December 18, 2004 07:57PM

I think the biggest issues with those who do not find what they want in the magazine is one of scope. The Magazine, which is incredible for what it does, seems to be more dedicated to providing in depth coverage of various aspects of rod building. It does not provide an over all education in any one rod type (spinning, fly, surf, etc...) nor does it provide simplistic details of the general art of rodbuilding. For these you are better off with a book on the basics of rod building.

The magazine does a much better job on getting in depth on the science, tools, and techniques of building a custom rod. These are often cutting edge information. The magazine does provide the occasional article that is better targetted to the beginner and does occasionally cover a species, or method, or type specific article on rod building but even these cover advanced techniques and methods in their approach. The magazine does not try to review blanks and components as any review is in the end biased by the reviewer. Instead it provides the methods and understanding needed to decide for yourself about various materials.

An excellent example would be the article on the Common Cents System, it has provided methods to be used to allow you to understand many of the characteristics of a blank without actually holding it. This allows builders to test various blanks and add them to the common database, providing those who understand this system the knowledge needed to know what to expect of any listed blanks as well as how they compair to other blanks before they purchase them.

In short, if you want a guide to building any rod buy a book on rod building. If you want updated articles that cover in depth, cutting- edge techniques to rodbuilding subscribe to the magazine.

The magazine alone is not good for the beginner, though even they will often find usefull information, but rather for the hobbyist who wants to know advanced and recently developed techniques in rodbuilding.

The magazine differs from this site in that when it presents an article on a technique it does so in a well thought out manner and in depth. Most times what is covered here is not covered so thoroughly and often assumes a working knowledge of some basics. This is because what is covered here is often just an answer to a question somebody asked and such, by nature, are rarely as clear and complete.

Thanks,
Daren

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.b.001.brs.iprimus.net.au)
Date: December 18, 2004 08:52PM

John, I am man enought to say sorry, if I insulted you, Sorry. As I said it was your right to make your thoughts heard, I just thought you wanted to start an arguement over your original post and wondered why. And it appears that other forum members thought this way as well. I don't claim to know much, I'am very grateful for the help that these forum members and Tom have provided me over the years,and as you say you have a wealth of knowledge I hope someday to learn something from you. Reference your now EDITED original post I also like seeing female models, but not in Rodmaker, these statements will offend some female forum members even if meant as a joke, I also have daughters as well and another due soon, and the eldest reads my Rodmaker magazines, and I presume you wouldn't want your daughter to see that kind of stuff. Also me living in Australia makes no difference once you go onto WWW.
Again sorry if I offended you.

Regards
Myles Boon
Brisbane, Australia

aka. the dumb Aussie

Posted by: William Colby (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: December 18, 2004 09:22PM

I think Daren pretty much said what many of us were trying to say, only he did it much more eloquently. Thanks Daren.

Posted by: John Carlton (---.bc.dl.cox.net)
Date: December 19, 2004 01:03AM

Over my head? You have go to be kidding me Mike Ballard i love this form but there is nothing i can't do when it comes to rodbuilding.I strive to make rods as custom as i can get them and then some.I have been know to give rods away just so people will quit fishing with junk.
I am here to help people. And the center fold stuff i said if you can read "Myles Boon" i added a LOL witch means i am jokeing. GiG'em Aggies

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.248.70.75.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: December 19, 2004 01:56PM

Gee guys- it's Christmas. Heck I only wish I had the money and the room to build some of the stuff I see a lot of guys building here. I know I can, but money, room, equipment?? Got a lot of talent here.
Heck short and sweet - don't like it - don't buy it??? LOL
Can't please every one and there ain't no use trying to.

Mary Christmas every one Go fishin if it's not cold

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster