I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Rod Builders Magazine : (
Posted by: John Carlton (24.250.165.---)
Date: December 17, 2004 11:59AM

Is it just me our is the Rod Building Magazine alittle cheap?
Is there another magazine out there that is how do i say this more than ten pages thick? And it would be nice to see some centerfolds
along the way threw the magazine j/k lol. Just my opinion not trying to upset anyone. But if you feel the same way please reply.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2004 12:11PM by Tom Kirkman.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Builders Magazine : (
Posted by: Greg Hileman (12.106.196.---)
Date: December 17, 2004 12:03PM

try RodMaker magazine instead.

Posted by: Anonymous User (208.255.233.---)
Date: December 17, 2004 12:05PM

I have never heard of "Rod Builders Magazine"?

Posted by: Raymond Mazza (141.149.215.---)
Date: December 17, 2004 12:09PM

As with any magazine, each month is different in content and size. I don't believe you are talking about the current issue, sir. It is a rather large one from what I am told, mine not having arrived yet. I'm not here for centerfolds personally. Once and a while, it is nice to see some photos of work in that format, true. But for me, it's not what drives me, it's the information given. Some months are not what I want, but that is true of ALL tha magazines I read. You can't please everyone each month. Not only is it an impossible task, it isn't financially feasible. People don't want to spend much as it is for periodicals. Can you imagine that cost to attempt that feat? you are entitled to your opinion, I'm not bashing you. Maybe you'll be happier with another issue? Don't know. If not, don't spend your money there. Over the long haul, I have found it to be worth every penny to me, the again, I am not looking to be amuzed or amazed, just educated. Same reason I don't buy the Dupont Registry magazine. I'd rather read Hot Rod or Road & Track. Happy Holidays to you and yours!
Ray

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 17, 2004 12:11PM

RodMaker is 40 pages with only about 4 to 6 of pages of advertising. Most publications, however, are roughly 50% to 60% advertising which makes RodMaker the equivilent of most 100+ page magazines in terms of actual informational content. I don't think the ad content in RodMaker has ever gone over 15%. On top of that, there is very little editorializing in RodMaker. Most of what's there is strictly rod building information.

Count up the pages of ads in your favorite magazines. You'll be surprised to see that what you're paying for is mostly advertisements.

And RodMaker does have a centerfold - only it's full of color rod photographs not human content.

You might give it a look, but even then, it won't be for everybody.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2004 12:14PM by Tom Kirkman.

Posted by: Raymond Mazza (141.149.215.---)
Date: December 17, 2004 12:12PM

BTW,
I was assuming he was talking about RodMaker Magazine! Even so, I think what I said about periodicals in general is true.
Ray

Posted by: steven church (205.188.116.---)
Date: December 17, 2004 12:15PM

I have both an thought they both have good info, "Rod Maker" is a better magazine. Well laid out, infomative, easy to understand.
Just my two cents.Steve

Posted by: Sean Walker (216.224.234.---)
Date: December 17, 2004 12:19PM

RodMaker mag is a good bang for the buck. As Mr. Kirkman says it is rare that you get a magazine that is less than 60% ads (I know of what I speak--I've been in the magazine business for 15 years). I'm actually amazed that Mr. Kirkman has been able to keep the magazine alive for as long as he has with his print bill and lack of advertising support. It is not a cheap magazine to print.

Mr. Kirkman, thanks for a great product.

Posted by: Greg Hileman (12.106.196.---)
Date: December 17, 2004 12:35PM

I really thought that he was talking about the other rod building publication. I can't imagine where you would think RodMaker was short on information. I guess you can't please everyone...

Posted by: Steve Parsons (24.17.219.---)
Date: December 17, 2004 01:16PM

I subscribe to Rod Makers Mag and the RodCrafters Journal, and find both are very worthy publications.

Posted by: paul dodson (65.164.17.---)
Date: December 17, 2004 01:19PM

Thanks tom,,RodMaker Magazine is worth every penny ,, the bad thing about its hard to stop reading. looking forward to next issue thanks

Posted by: John Carlton (4.10.171.---)
Date: December 17, 2004 02:46PM

My bad i was talking about RodMaker!!!!!!! I just got my first issue and i think it is crap. But ill give it a couple my issues B4 i cancel.If they ever show up.

Date: December 17, 2004 02:51PM

It's not for everybody. If you didn't like that issue I doubt you will like any future ones. Best thing to do is contact me directly for a refund rather than continue to be disappointed.

And for the record, RodMaker is always printed and mailed on time, every time. In fact you got your most recent issue early - it's not due until December 28th.

Posted by: Danny Bundy (69.93.60.---)
Date: December 17, 2004 03:05PM

Dude you're probably out of luck on rod building magazines if you didn't like Rodmaker. There is only one other rod building magazine and it's half the size of Rodmaker, and with more ads and more editorial content. No color photographs of rods either.

When it comes to overall rod building information I think Rodmaker is way better than any other publication or even anything available on the internet. Everybody has their own opinion but if your's is what you say, you'll probably have to do without any sort of rod building publication. There just isn't anything else available.

Posted by: shai plummer (24.21.88.---)
Date: December 17, 2004 03:31PM

My two cents on the subject , Rodmaker is a good magazine but it is lacking in depth and content , most of the articles only scratch at the surface and leave much more to be said and us hanging on waiting for the next issue .....I beleive the mag could probably be improved very much by haveing articles written by folks other than Mr. Kirkman his close friends and posters on this board ......There are many experts in this feild with tips , opinons , experience that would be helpfull and wothwhile to publish . And yes , it has a nice centerfold , but they are the same pics we see everytime we look at the pics at the photo link on this board . I understand it takes a great deal of time to publish a mag like Rodmaker and we can't expect a full and comrehensive manual everytime we open the pages , but it would be nice to see something truly new and unique every once and awhile .

Shai

Posted by: Sean Walker (216.224.234.---)
Date: December 17, 2004 03:57PM

So the Mr. Kirkman doesn't have to defend himself...

If you guys would like to contribute to the magazine, I'm sure that he would be more than happy to look over your queries. That's the way it works. Think of a topic. Write an opener, outline, shoot some photos, send it to him.

If you would like to see some new photos in the "centerfold", send something innovative to him.

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (209.247.222.---)
Date: December 17, 2004 04:33PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2004 04:37PM by Ralph Jones.

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (209.247.222.---)
Date: December 17, 2004 04:33PM

Some People??? I've been a subscriber for almost as long as there has been a RodMaker Magazine, I missed those almost mythical first two issues # 1-1 & 1-2, and I intend to be a subscriber from now on! I have yet to receive an issue I didn't learn from. Well, I've no complaint with RodMaker other than 'I read it too fast and must wait, again', and Tom can't fix that. Why is it that some people must stir the manure instead of being constructive? Is it envy? The three or four times the U.S.P.S folded, spindled, and/or mutilated an issue, Tom replaced it immediately upon my informing him. Not to mention the friendliest, best & most informative site uh... rodbuilding site, this one, I've found in several years of searching the internet. Please, Tom Kirkman, keep up the great work! Ralph

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Posted by: John Dow (204.60.177.---)
Date: December 17, 2004 04:36PM

I enjoy getting the magazine , and if you look at some of the other publications , like the fishing mags , they have a ton of advertizements as stated. I don't think I would miss my next issue of F&S , but I will know if I don't get Rodmaker , it's the only one i realy look forward to every time is is due to be here. John

Date: December 17, 2004 05:00PM

It's okay to express opinions about the magazine, good or bad. I do want to clarify some things,however.

"Rodmaker is a good magazine but it is lacking in depth and content." This is one of those areas where you can't please everyone. Just last week I got three letters telling me that RodMaker was too "deep" and went too far in-depth into some topics. It's all a matter of personal perspective. What is too in-depth for one ends up being too simplistic for another. Such is life for a publisher.

My friends don't write for the magazine, or only rarely - instead I reach out to people who are true experts in their fields (I suppose they have become friends of mine, however). Ralph O'Quinn is the guy who figured out how to glue Boeing's airplanes together. He knows something about epoxies and structural assemblies. Dr. Hanneman is widely respected and his Common Cents System is the first truly practical and relative method for measuring rod blank action and power. Rich Forhan is one of the most respected rod builders on the tournament bass circuit. Most of you know Emory, and the guys who share their vewipoints in Andy Dear's interviews are legends in the world of rod building. I don't know how many more experts would be available, but RodMaker has plenty (many of which I'm sure I just overlooked here). Russ Gooding and Bernard Elser are highly respected in the bamboo field. Experts both. Jim Upton and Buddy Owens are among the very best thread artists around. Both are innovators. Buddy was a tool and equipment designer for Western Electric/AT&T. He knows a thing or two about good tool design. Not wanting to seem smart at your expense, but who else did you have in mind? I'd love to talk to more experts like these.

Most of the photos in the magazine centerfold have never appeared in the photo page here. But I guess a fishing rod is a fishing rod is a fishing rod.

Many of the articles and ideas in RodMaker have never been covered anywhere before. I think most of what appears there is quite new and what isn't new is usually very well updated with new methods and information. What magazines have covered grip flocking? Which ones have shown you how to do photo etching? Where else have you ever seen a easy way to properly set up the New Guide Concept System (not even Fuji has done this). I've never seen anything else on proper surface prep, not even close. Our articles on rod repair are without peer. I could on for several pages on the new ideas and methods RodMaker has introduced, but it's unecessary. I feel the magazine has done dozens of articles on things which are truly new and unique in the field of rod building. If it was simply a poor rehash of older concepts and ideas, it would not have become the most widely circulated rod building magazine of all time.

One more thing on articles - I'll never print theories - the articles have to contain information that is accurate and has been proven to work. And the person who submits the article should know that it will be checked for accuracy and factual content.

I often get letters and emails from people asking about certain topics or methods they want to see or an answer they need - I assume they're not subscribers as the magazine has had articles that fully answered their questions - but when I direct them to the volume and issue that has the very information they want, the usually come back and tell me that they are indeed subscribers and just overlooked the information! The fact is, many subscribers don't really read the magazine. The information is there, but I can't force anyone to read it. If I have any regrets about the magazine, that would be the main one.

As I've often said, RodMaker isn't for everbody and anyone who doesn't like it or feel it is of value to them would be foolish to take it. If you get an issue or two and don't think it's going to be helpful to you, just contact me about a refund. There will be no hard feelings on this end. And if you want to make suggestions or criticize it, that's fine too. I make it better by knowing what its failings are.

And when or if somebody comes out with a better magazine for rod building, I'll be their first subscriber. The more the merrier.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2004 05:57PM by Tom Kirkman.

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster