I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Soft of stiff bristles to apply finish?
Posted by: Tim Collins (68.40.87.---)
Date: December 16, 2004 02:48PM

Since I still struggle with getting a thin first coat, I'm wondering if the soft bristle purple handled Flex Coat brushes I use could be part of my problem. Would a stiffer bristle brush help in getting the epoxy into the thread and then aid in removing the excess to get that "real thin first coat"? I've tried spatulas and didn't like that process either. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Soft of stiff bristles to apply finish?
Posted by: Shawn Taylor (66.155.194.---)
Date: December 16, 2004 03:29PM

I will often take a piece of blue masking tape (low sticky) and tape up the brissels. I will then take a scissor and cut the brush to about half. If you don't tape it, it is very difficult to get an even cut on the brissels as they have a tendancy to roll when cutting. This way you don't need to get different brushes, but you get a little stiffer affect. Be carefull to get all the cut brissels off prior to using.

Posted by: Rick Koontz (65.196.57.---)
Date: December 16, 2004 03:45PM

Tim,

I don't like the flexcoat brushes for jsut what you mentioned. The bristles are too long and flexible and aren't wide enough. Go to the arts and crafts store (Michaels, Jo-Ann's, AC Moore, etc) and pick up a couple nice brushes. I use a 1/8" flat brush made from sable I think. Pick one that is for use with acrillics and oil based paints. I have brushes from 3/8" wide down to 1/16" wide. I use the tiny one for filling guide tunnels and getting my edges straight (if the edge of the brush is tight against the wraps, the widest I can go off is 1/16"). I'll use the 1/4" for most everything else including long wraps. I'll bump up to the bigger brushes if I am doing a super long inscription or butt finish.

Rinse them off with denatured alcohol and you can use them repeatedly. I don't know how many times I've used mine now.

Remember, don't brush, just use the brush as a spatula.

Thanks,
Rick

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (209.247.222.---)
Date: December 16, 2004 05:03PM

I get brushes from Walmart, now. I made Ralph's spatulas and used them until I decided a brush works better for me. I've got a dozen brushes and more, the brushes I go to are cheap Walmart 'Plaid' brand 'Shader' style in size 4, 6, or 8 depending on the width of the wrap. I have the expensive artists brushes but these work just as well. Remember what Rick said above, "Rinse them off with denatured alcohol and you can use them repeatedly. I don't know how many times I've used mine now." Ditto. Ralph

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2004 03:45AM by Ralph Jones.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 16, 2004 05:50PM

I do better with a soft flat, ox hair brush. Generally, the stiffer the bristles the less depth you get, the softer the greater depth or higher build you get.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (63.157.32.---)
Date: December 16, 2004 09:22PM

Tim,
First, why are you interested in getting a "thin, first coat" when many times one normal coat is more than enough? To me, the more times you apply finish, the greater the chances of screwing something up.

Second, and to actually answer the question, I think it's more a matter of feel for what finish you are using. My finish of choice is Flex Coat HB. I use soft and hard brushes as well as spatula, depending on my mood with equal results. I think I could probably apply this stuff with my tongue and get a good finish. Give me any other finish however, and I am a basket case.

Just my opinion, but I believe that once you "figure out" a brand of finish, you can apply it with anything with great results.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (66.97.233.---)
Date: December 16, 2004 10:26PM

I remember when I used to use a pencil to apply finish...

Putter

Posted by: bill boettcher (63.28.131.---)
Date: December 17, 2004 10:11AM

Right Putter! If you think about it you can use any thing to apply it. All you are doing is letting the thread Pull the clear off of what ever it is on. Makes no difference. If temperiture is not to hot it will flow out

Posted by: Joel Todd (65.176.176.---)
Date: December 17, 2004 02:04PM

I just tried a Gudebrod finish brush.It is made of Ox hair and is a 1/2" wide.The bistles are long and fairly soft.I gave the rod 2 coats of LS Supreme.I used the same brush for all the wraps,decal area,and diamond wrap.It turned out great.I've always used a 1/4" wide brush in the past.

Posted by: Ed Michura (64.8.77.---)
Date: December 17, 2004 02:12PM

Suggest Loew-Cornell #2048 Sizes 4 to 10 Shaders. Available at most arts and crafts stores. The very best brush ever.

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.mynetrocks.com)
Date: December 17, 2004 10:20PM

We had a bunch of bamboo chopsitcks in the kitchen cabinet and a bunch of those plastic fake credit cards we all receive nearly everyday.

Used them to make spatulas of various widths since spatulas work for me. Epoxied them in a bamboo slot, wrapped them in thread and super-glued the threads.

Never got the hang of using a pencil, being an Appalachian person.

Stan

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster