I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Static Guide Placement Opinions
Posted by: Steve Lynas (209.135.108.---)
Date: December 16, 2004 05:36AM

I just finished using the Library article by Tom on Static Guide placement to position 10 guides on my 2 pc, 9'9" Steelhead float rod. I followed the instruction very closely and found that of the 10 guide total, 8 of them seem best located on the front pc of this rod. Furthermore, the 8th one falls right on the female ferrule of this rod. That leaves my stripping guide a # 30 and a #25 on the butt section only. I guess what I am asking is since this is my first attempt at placing guides to a blank does this seem ok?: or does it not seem that I have placed too many guides on the forward section of this rod? Secondly, what about the guide on the female ferrule I have read how some like it, some don't. Opinions are alway appreciated and I thank you in advance for yours.

Oh I also tried the New guide concept method and found that they(the guides) did not conform exactly to the rules of that article, but did not seem too far off either. What I mean is some of the guides outer edges just fell short of the tables edge. I found that with such a long pole any pivoting of the installed reel makes a large difference in the intersect guide location and it is hard to determine what a direct line with spool spindle and table edge really is, but again I tried it and my static guide placement seems to be very close to where the guide concept placement would have them.

Thanks
Steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Static Guide Placement Opinions
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 16, 2004 09:50AM

Make the guides conform to the article instructions. Move them or choose guides whose outer edges do touch the outer edge of the table. Otherwise you are not going to get the full benefits of the system. This is for a spinning rod, of course.

Tom Kirkman

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2004 07:32PM by Tom Kirkman.

Re: Static Guide Placement Opinions
Posted by: Charlie Smoote (199.174.139.---)
Date: December 16, 2004 10:46AM

I just wrapped a 9 foot 8 wt using the static displaqcement method.

I used 10 guides and the third guide wound up on the ferrule. I wrapped that guide with a single footed guide. This left 7 guides on the tip. I wrapped them with single footed ceramics and the rod works well with a good curve. C2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster