I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Opinions from all builders of surf rods
Posted by: Shawn Taylor (66.155.194.---)
Date: December 15, 2004 05:37PM

I came across an interesting discussion on SOL.com in regards to chunking rods. I believe the post started with a request for suggestions on an 8 and bait conventional setup and money was no issue. Some of you may have seen it or even posted on it. I don't claim to know all when it comes to high end blanks, components, or new goodies. That said, I try and keep up the best I can despite fishing very hard during the season. My long winded point and or question is, what blank and components would you build for the ultimate, hardcore, chunking set up? I have always built Lamiglas and have never had any issues or complaints. I fish very hard and will throw half a bunker at times with 10 oz. or more depending on conditions. I have several set ups with my preferred being the 1321 M, 1361 MH, and 1363 M. After reading this discussion, I came away wondering if I have put too much stock in Lami? On the other hand, they have never let me down. Some suggestions that came up were Rainshadow 1509, All Star 1509, Zziplex, and Conoflex in various ratings. In my case, because I fish very hard, I couldn't justify spending $500 on the blank simply because of the abuse I put them through. I would however, consider a comparable option with the same or more capabilities. I think the biggest attribute that the other blanks had, was cast ability. Any suggestions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Opinions from all builders of surf rods
Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: December 15, 2004 07:15PM

I would use only Seeker blanks in that application. Maybe AllStar/Breakaway. No Lami.

Posted by: Kit Harrison (---.consolidated.net)
Date: December 15, 2004 08:35PM

$ 500.00 For a Blank, it had better cast and fish by it's self.

Posted by: Joe Borawski (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: December 15, 2004 08:38PM

Lamiglas. 'Nuff said. ;)

Posted by: Clyde roberts (---.ec.rr.com)
Date: December 15, 2004 09:14PM

I'll have to go with the Rainshadow 1509 or Breakaway 1509. There are slight differences between these. The Rainshadow seems to be a little lighter in weight and action than the Breakaway, but will still throw 8 or even 10 and a large bait with ease. It is easier for me to load than the Breakaway, but I give a slight distance advantage to the Breakaway if you can properly load it.

The Zziplex is a great tournament casting rod, but I just can't fish with a $500 blank. The Straight 8 is a great fishing rod though.

The Purglas 400-4 is starting to catch on, but the butt is really big. Too big for my hands. A plate seat helps.

Just some food for thought.

Posted by: Greg Tucker (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 15, 2004 09:35PM

Get your hands on a 1509 rainshadow if you still can..
I have all the lamis up to the 1621. The 1502 is a true war pole and may suit you. I threw the RS1509 about 30 times with 8Nbait and my reels. its the best casting drum rod ever IMOP... Building mine with Fuji Alconite guides (BMNAG)
ps. I have a buddy who wacked 4" off the butt of his and it cast great.

Posted by: eric riggs (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: December 15, 2004 10:42PM

Shawn, I'm sure I started that post (cephalopholis)?
I got a lot of private email on the subject that were not posted....
After all was said and done, i went with the Lami GSB136 2MH at about $200
(i needed a two piece).
After weighing in: cost, use, and where + type of fishing I do,
Lami was the only way to go. I think you are right.... I want to "FISH" as well as "cast" a good long distance- and would like to have a few dollars left in my pocket for a drink, after a long day on the sand! The cost of some of the rods in the replies would have made even Trump blink and, I don;t think the so called benefits (casting distance) outweighed or even came close to justifing the price differance?!
I finaly got to go out and test some of the other "High End" sticks and, with my casting ability (I'm no Pro) - didn't really see a differance! With the blank I am using Fuji titanium framed sic guides, a fuji heavy duty graphite reel seat, Abu 7000 big water reel and, some nice tennis racket grip wrap for the butt.....(still building it as a matter of fact). I will post photos when its finished-there and here!
So after all this wind....I have to agree with Joe B "Lamiglas. 'Nuff said. ;)"

Posted by: eric riggs (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: December 15, 2004 10:42PM

Shawn, I'm sure I started that post (cephalopholis)?
I got a lot of private email on the subject that were not posted....
After all was said and done, i went with the Lami GSB136 2MH at about $200
(i needed a two piece).
After weighing in: cost, use, and where + type of fishing I do,
Lami was the only way to go. I think you are right.... I want to "FISH" as well as "cast" a good long distance- and would like to have a few dollars left in my pocket for a drink, after a long day on the sand! The cost of some of the rods in the replies would have made even Trump blink and, I don;t think the so called benefits (casting distance) outweighed or even came close to justifing the price differance?!
I finaly got to go out and test some of the other "High End" sticks and, with my casting ability (I'm no Pro) - didn't really see a differance! With the blank I am using Fuji titanium framed sic guides, a fuji heavy duty graphite reel seat, Abu 7000 big water reel and, some nice tennis racket grip wrap for the butt.....(still building it as a matter of fact). I will post photos when its finished-there and here!
So after all this wind....I have to agree with Joe B "Lamiglas. 'Nuff said. ;)"

Posted by: Ken Preston (68.55.202.---)
Date: December 16, 2004 12:25AM

Shawn
If you act reasonably soon you can still catch the rod blank liquidation over at MudHole. You might want to consider the 1502 that's listed over there for $123.00.
It should handle out to 10oz so 8NBait looks pretty good. Those are all Cascade blanks so should be good / excellent quality. Drawback of course is "when they're gone they are gone for good". The Breakaways are nice but too stiff for my liking / personal use. The longer I fish (older I get or longer the day on the sand gets)
the lighter I want the entire rig to be so I've taken a personal liking to the very light Rainshadow 1262 / 1264 and 1265's. Those obviously will not do 8Nbait but will cast very near the same distance - and are fishing rods more than casting rods. I mated one with an Avet SX5.0 spooled with 40lb PowerPro and it casts as far as I've ever needed it to go (120+yards) and held bottom with 3oz sputnik sinker -- and I think I may have saved a rotator cuff at the same time.

Posted by: Chia-Chien Goh (66.168.55.---)
Date: December 16, 2004 12:57AM

My vote is for Graphite USA surf assassin spiral wrapped for increased energy in the pendulum cast.

Posted by: Lou Reyna (4.153.38.---)
Date: December 16, 2004 03:05AM

I have built rods on all Allstar, Zziplex, Conoflex, and Lami blanks, and presently I have a Purglas waiting to be built.

I find more orders for rods built from Allstar blanks than any other make. I think this is because the blank is less expensive than most others. Some of the blanks I personally do not like, but then I am building the rod not for me but for the customer. The variances in blanks cover the gambit - they have a fat butt end, real expensive (import tariffs), or too light in power.

Personally I fish the Allstar GSB-1508-2 because it is a little more forgiving than the 1509 model, but many folks I build for are content with the extra power of the 1508 when lobbing heavy payloads of bait and lead. My aging arms can no longer handle that kind of strain so I stick to the lighter blank.

Lou

Posted by: Shawn Taylor (66.155.194.---)
Date: December 16, 2004 07:50AM

Looks like I was too late at MudHole, unless all the 1509 were 2 piece? That is all they have left. Very curious to find out who else might carry that blank in the event it is one peice.

Posted by: William Harvey (65.14.20.---)
Date: December 16, 2004 08:52AM

Where is the best place to buy All Star and Rainshadow surf blanks?

Posted by: Barry D. thomas Sr. (68.84.71.---)
Date: December 16, 2004 04:18PM

I built and Fish a Allstar 1508 cut to 12"3' rated 4-10 Have had no problem getting Deep with this blank

Also built a 1418 rated at 3-6OZ 11" 6' for my girlfriend it throws 4 OZ sputnick and a bait a long way!

Posted by: Ken Preston (68.55.202.---)
Date: December 17, 2004 05:44PM

Shawn
I believe all the 1509's are two piece rods.

Posted by: Bobby Lemmo (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 01, 2005 08:13AM

I have fished most of the rods mentioned and currently use a Breakaway 1509 for 8nbait, it is a difficult rod to master but once learned I can honestly say there's no Lami equivalent to the stored energy and powerful butt section this rod delivers...pricewise it's about 20 % cheaper than a GSB series heaver.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster