I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

simple cork repair
Posted by: Tom Smith (---.ne.mediaone.net)
Date: March 07, 2002 08:03AM

I know this will set a few of you off but I did it, I admit it, and I promise not to do it again.......well maybe not. I bought a premade cork handle. What a piece of @&%$ !!!!. Now, how do I fix it? Both ends crumbled when I reamed it out, and I went slowly and carefully. I was able to hide all but the butt end. I left myself a little working room but the cork seems very brittle. I have seen composite cork butt caps. Do these glue in, over, mount flush? is there a better way? I know that even if I can sand it smooth without any more mishaps that it won't hold up without some kind of protection.
Thanks,
Tom

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: simple cork repair
Posted by: Neal Cissel (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: March 07, 2002 09:07AM

Tom,
It sounds like you got a bad piece of preformed cork. But to answer your question you can slide a butt cap over the end of the cork and glue it,that is if it doesn't keep breaking down. If it does then I would say trim it down to the blank and glue the butt cap on.
Neal's Fishing Product

Posted by: steve walters (192.132.24.---)
Date: March 07, 2002 10:59AM

I've got about 10 rods behind me and all were made with the preformed cork. It really sound like you got ahold of bad or old cork. I'm going to switch over to turning my own someday but I've had really good luck with the pre made ones. Where did you buy it?

Posted by: Jim Johns (12.13.248.---)
Date: March 07, 2002 04:29PM

I've used the St. Croix preformed handle kits extensively and have never gotten a bad one. St. Croix uses a burl cork ring for the bottom of the handle. I recently started making my own handles from cork rings, and I incorporated this technique into my own handles. The burl cork is VERY tough and chip resistant.

Here's what I do: I put the burl ring on a bolt and nut, chuck it into my drill press, and use a double-cut flat bastard file to for shaping - I don't have a lathe. I turn the ring to a slightly smaller diameter than the rest of the handle, give it a pleasing shape depending on the type of rod it's going on, and then sand with 220 grit sandpaper to smooth it. All of this is done in the drill press. I then epoxy it to the end of the rear grip, center it visually, clamp it in my cork clamp, and clean off any excess epoxy. After the epoxy has cured, I use 220, then 400 grit sandpaper to blend the regular cork handle into the burl ring. I tried to do the opposite (blend burl into regular) but the burl is VERY tough to sand. Works for me!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster