I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

another newbie guide CP question
Posted by: john black (63.146.104.---)
Date: December 13, 2004 08:30PM

wrapped 2 rods over the weekend with regular nylon size A thread, and used Gudebrode CP, 3 coats each. i let em dry good on my power dryer and saw lots of splotchy black places on the wrap as if the threads turned transparent in places, and can see the rod thru the wrap. put on U-4- PERMAGLOS and the the thread that didn't turn opaque was great but ......... the wrap looks funny. what did i do wrong ??? BTW- the wrapping, as you guys predicted, is getting easier everytime i do it. ALSO- i want to do an all wood handle next, but taper reaming a cork and wood accent handle is killing me. takes forever and wears out the reamer. there HAS to be an easier to ream out the grip! i started out to do a rod for my son for x-mas and now my other son and daughter will get one too. i should own stock in mudpit and a few others! THANKS

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: another newbie guide CP question
Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: December 13, 2004 09:27PM

John,
It looks like the CP did not penetrate the area that is blotchy. I have not had good luck with the Gudebrod CP. I use the Flex Coat CP but even that product leaves little specks on the thread sometimes. As for the reaming, I build my own handles. I learned on this board to take each ring, before gluing, and drill the hole pretty near the circumference of the blank, glue the rings and do a final reaming after shaping the grip.
Everyone has one problem or another when you are first starting rod building. You will pick up ideas as you go along.

Cheers, Ellis

Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dfw.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: December 13, 2004 09:28PM

John,

Sounds like you new to spend a little more time burnishing/packing the threads. The dark spots are where the thread has not been packed tight enough.

Regards,

Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dfw.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: December 13, 2004 09:29PM

uhg, that should have been need!

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 13, 2004 09:32PM

Possible that the CP didn't dry between coats - or actually more likely the thread wasn't packed together tightly enough. It will be tough to see now without some heavy magnification but look at the wraps where the color turns from what you expected and where it is mottled to see if there are small, SMALL gaps. Burnishing the thread to pack and flatten it might have helped.

Reaming out cork shouldn't be a problem - go to your local hardware store and get an 8 - 10" rat tail wood rasp -- go SLOW because they can take out a lot of cork in one to two passes. Stabilized wood is painful with any rasp and if you're using a home-made reamer using epoxied on grit you already know how really painful that is on your palm and forearm muscles. If you have access to a drill press with a good clamp you can drill out successively larger diameters - take out the minimal amount each time and you should be ok. Best of course is a lathe with a center bore attachment -- Perhaps Andy Dear will jump in with some other (likely better) ideas.

Posted by: john black (63.146.104.---)
Date: December 13, 2004 09:41PM

Ken Preston wrote:

> Possible that the CP didn't dry between coats - or actually
> more likely the thread wasn't packed together tightly enough.
> It will be tough to see now without some heavy magnification
> but look at the wraps where the color turns from what you
> expected and where it is mottled to see if there are small,
> SMALL gaps. Burnishing the thread to pack and flatten it
> might have helped.
>
> Reaming out cork shouldn't be a problem - go to your local
> hardware store and get an 8 - 10" rat tail wood rasp -- go SLOW
> because they can take out a lot of cork in one to two passes.
> Stabilized wood is painful with any rasp and if you're using a
> home-made reamer using epoxied on grit you already know how
> really painful that is on your palm and forearm muscles. If
> you have access to a drill press with a good clamp you can
> drill out successively larger diameters - take out the minimal
> amount each time and you should be ok. Best of course is a
> lathe with a center bore attachment -- Perhaps Andy Dear will
> jump in with some other (likely better) ideas.

actually, i DO have a small lathe. i will check on a center bore attachment. THANKS GUYS. will pack the threads titer next time too.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.57.139.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: December 13, 2004 10:15PM

If you thin the CP very much, then most of what you're putting on the threads is just water, or alcohol, neither of which will seal your threads against the top coat of finish.

The two most common culprits of thread blotching are thinned color preserver and threads that are not tightly packed against each other.

Posted by: John Carlton (---.bc.dl.cox.net)
Date: December 13, 2004 11:11PM

Yes buy your self a good burnishing tool. You be happy!!!
Our do like me and just take your time while you wrapp you guides and itll cut down on your burnishing.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster