I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

12 wt. Tarpon fly rod blank
Posted by: James C. Smith (---.d169bc.dial.xtelegent.net)
Date: December 13, 2004 08:22PM

Thanks to everyone who posts such cooperative, data oriented suggestions on this forum. This place is truly the Oracle of Rod Building. I am looking to gear up to fish for tarpon next spring. I've built a couple 9 wt rods on St Croix SCIV and SCV blanks. Sweet! Has anyone built on or fished the UFT9012 blank? Suggestions for something comparable from other manufacturers?
Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 12 wt. Tarpon fly rod blank
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: December 13, 2004 08:33PM

The All Star BAF 9010/11-2 blank has been getting rage reviews on Tarpon. Andy Snedden at Lamar Reelseats can tell you all about them.

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: December 13, 2004 09:33PM

James,
Can you see a lot of difference between the SCIV and the SCV? After I finish these four rods that I am building, I want to build a fly rod on one of those blanks. I am leaning towards the SCIV due to the price of the blank. I have read that the V is a faster blank.

Cheers, Ellis

Posted by: Richard's Rod & Reel (---.tbaytel.net)
Date: December 13, 2004 10:41PM

Ellis,
The SCV is 'FAST PLUS'. It's a beauty of a premium blank, though I know you won't be disappointed with the SCIV. It's fast action and crisp casting.

Rich Garbowski
Richard's Rod & Reel

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.57.139.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: December 13, 2004 10:42PM

Very little difference. I like the SCIV, again, the performance difference does not reflect the price difference. The UFT9012 is a great blank. You wouldn't be disapppointed.

The Dan Craft models might be worth looking at if you want a very light rod for the power. I'm not sure he goes up that high, but it's worth a look.

The All Star Austin heavy fly blanks are very respected as well.

Posted by: Scott Kinney (---.nrockv01.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 13, 2004 11:47PM

The 10wtSig V would be an 11-12 weight rod by the CC system, for what that is worth. I built one last year that tipped the scales at 3.8oz...ended up selling it to a guy in MN for 3x what I paid for the components.

Posted by: James C. Smith (---.d1699f.dial.xtelegent.net)
Date: December 14, 2004 12:02AM

All this informaiton in just three hours. wow.......

I would say Mr. Kirkman is right. The my SCV rod is great, but I probably would not kick in the extra bucks next time. Are the rod manufacturers making these super fast rods simply because they can? Is this like cell phones and 4 wheel drive, we can't live without it simply because it is there? Not that I complain too much, I hate pouring money into vehicles, but a reason to get another rod is always welcome.

Posted by: Andy Snedden (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: December 14, 2004 12:09AM

Spencer,

You have Andy Snedden of Custom Rodbuilders Inc. and Andy Dear of Lamar Reel Seats mixed up. Both great guys and both would tell you the blank in question is a good one.

Andy Snedden
Custom Rodbuilders Inc.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.54.130.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: December 14, 2004 09:29AM

You can make an extra fast rod out of hickory - action doesn't depend on the material. What you are supposedly paying for in the SCV, is a blank that is lighter for the same stiffness, therefore better efficiency (quicker reaction and recovery). And it has that, but not enough of it to justify the extra cost for me.

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.dsl.snantx.swbell.net)
Date: December 14, 2004 04:05PM

Mr. Snedden, you said;

"You have Andy Snedden of Custom Rodbuilders Inc. and Andy Dear of Lamar Reel Seats mixed up. Both great guys and both would tell you the blank in question is a good one."

Yes...both are great guys....but doesn't it boild down to who is thr better lookin' of the two?

Andy Dear
Lamar Reel Seats

Posted by: Scott Kinney (---.nrockv01.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 14, 2004 04:53PM

I vote for Andy, whatever the criteria is.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster