I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Allstar/Shakespeare???
Posted by: Mike Klein (65.241.225.---)
Date: December 13, 2004 05:23PM

I talked to a customer service rep at Allstar and/or Shakespeare today and was informed that Allstar was acquired by Shakespeare back in October. She also commented that Allstar may not continue making rod blanks. It is one of the topics currently in deliberation. Just thought you might find this of interest.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Allstar/Shakespeare???
Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 13, 2004 07:06PM

I think most of us here knew that, but nothing has been said about them not making rod blanks. The factory in TX is running wide open making blanks as we speak.

Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 13, 2004 07:17PM

If anyone from the new ownership is watching I would hate to lose the Allstar Austin and the Breakaway surf blanks.
Thanks.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 13, 2004 08:23PM

Best way to keep them open that I know of is Buy an Allstar Blank today. Holiday greetings to Sharon and all the guys at the plant in Houston. Good luck.

Gon Fishn

Posted by: David A. Fuller (---.region6.ang.af.mil)
Date: December 14, 2004 02:25PM

Mike K., thanks for the information and update.
Most of us can and have done well without the Shakespeare line, but without AllStar, it would greatly inhibit the breadth of quality from which we have to choose.
I have been holding my business breath and casting a critical eye in the direction of AllStar since Shakespeare has aquired them. In my estimation, humble as it is, Shakespeare has left a wake of quivering humanity wherever it has gone in the last 10 years. I fear for those who have been caught up and committed themselves and their company assets to a new takeover company with such a reputation.

David a. Fuller
Great Basin Fishing Rods

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 14, 2004 06:24PM

This is confusing!! All Star and Shakespeare are both listed as having booths at the Charlotte show. Since Shakespaeare does not sell blanks or components, why are the going to be at Charlotte??

Mike

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.57.222.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: December 14, 2004 07:55PM

They intend to unveil a new line of Shakespeare blanks. I'd wait and talk to their people at the show before deciding what they are or aren't going to do blank-wise.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 14, 2004 11:11PM

I sure hope they do. There Boat rods just about have the charter and trolling market tied up on Lake Erie. Sure love to be able to buy the blanks!!

Date: December 15, 2004 12:00PM

I have a seven foot Shakespere casting rod in to replace three missing guides. The thing has a label that says 19.3 M All Graphite Pro Model. I called the fishing guide who left it in my box and asked him what kind of guides he wanted me to use. He told me he wanted the good ones with the silicon rings. When I told him $ 12.50 each for the guide replacement was a long pause and he finally said - No No - I only paid $ 29 for the rod at Academy. I can just imagine where this thing is ultimately headed.

Gon Fishn

Date: December 15, 2004 12:04PM

Sorry but I forgot why I wanted to make the post - I really got hacked off when the cork on the $ 29 rod referenced above appeared to be a higher quality than I can get from most suppliers when I request AAAA
or the best they can send out in the preformed grips.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster