I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

cleaning syringes
Posted by: john kepka (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: December 12, 2004 02:50PM

How do you clean the measuring syringes so that they do not freeze up. I had two freeze up using glass coat over the weekend.They look like flexcoat syringes. What was extreemly annoying was the fact that the first time i used them was on Friday and left them overnight in separate bags pulled 3/4 out. I got them loose with alcohol but the plungers pulled out. I had to do an emergency regular drug store syringes which i washed out with alcohol.

Who sells the LS syringes which seem to be better suited than the flexcoat due to the plastic plunger.

thanks
john kepka

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: cleaning syringes
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.162.10.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: December 12, 2004 02:56PM

I use Glass Coat and never clean them. I pull them back and push into a paper towel several times then pull the plunger way back and wrap into another paper towel for storage. They do stick a little but pressure loosens them up

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.57.147.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: December 12, 2004 03:06PM

No need to clean them. Use either Flex Coat or U-40 syringes (no rubber plungers in the U-40 models). Squeeze out all the resin or hardener, withdraw the plunger 1/2 way and wipe of the tip. That's all you should need to do.

Posted by: john kepka (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: December 12, 2004 03:33PM

the u-40 syringes looked much better and more fool proof since they have stops on the ends.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 12, 2004 04:03PM

I use the U-40 and am on my 2nd year with the same syringes and I have NEVER cleaned them. I drill hole in top of bittle cat so syringe tip fits tight and leave them there. When I get new bottles, I just swap caps. I invert bottles and withdraw the amount of finish that I want and reinsert into cap (draw the )lunger halfway up).
Accurate measurements, no mess - Works Great!!

Mike

Posted by: Ed Carr (---.msn.com)
Date: December 12, 2004 05:35PM

I took mikes idea and it works good. And when I put them in cabinet I have plunger 3/4 of way down to clear shelves. After I get them in cabinet I pull punger up till it hits self above. This keeps syringes in bottle top tight and also keeps them from getting knocked over.ED...

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.nas3.saint-louis1.mo.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: December 12, 2004 08:41PM

I never clean my small FC syringes. I pull the plunger all the way back. If you pull, they nearly always pull out of the rubber. But just giving them a good shove frees them up nice.

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: December 12, 2004 11:46PM

Mike,
Do you try to epoxy the syringe into the top of the "Bittle Cat" or just use a friction fit?

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.141.199.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: December 13, 2004 08:14AM

The yorker caps work well for me. You can poor out the epoxy also when not using the syringes I keep epoxy, syrings, mixing sticks and burshes all in a plastic bag to keep them together

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster