I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

first project complete
Posted by: Greg Mitchell (---.dsl.spfdmo.swbell.net)
Date: December 12, 2004 01:59AM

Well my first rod is complete. I built a 8 and a half foot 5 wt pacbay traditional with a struble reelseat. It turned out pretty well. I made some mistakes but nothing fatal. I had no problems with assembing the handle and seat and affixing it to the blank. But the wraps were very difficult for me. I almost gave up at one point. But I got better and much faster at it towards the end. The rod is not perfect like it would be from a professional builder but it still looks good and I'm sure it will fish well.
Thanks for all the advise and information available on this site. Don't think I could have made it through without it.
In the middle I would have said I would never attempt this again but now I'm contemplating another!
Greg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: first project complete
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 12, 2004 02:39AM

Congratulations!!! Every rod will get a little better and easier. I look at each one as an enjoyable learning experience.as well as a personal challenge to make the next one better..

Mike

Posted by: Patrick Vernacchio (---.telalaska.com)
Date: December 12, 2004 02:47AM

Greg, Don't be too hard on yourself. The first rod and in particular, getting the wrapping and finishing down, take lots of practice. Give yourself some time. When you get a couple more rods under your belt, Maybe you'll want to try some things to correct the mistakes you made on your first rod.

Posted by: Larry Grimm (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 12, 2004 10:26AM

Keep on keepin' on ! ! !

Posted by: Steve Ekstrand (---.sea1-4.27.224.88.sea1.dsl-verizon.net)
Date: December 12, 2004 10:34AM

I still think one of the best parts is the first fish on a rod you built yourself. What a sense of accomplishment!

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 12, 2004 11:58AM

Congratulations to the newly addicted! If you're thinking about it then you will make another one. And you will make it better, and assembly will go quicker because you've now done it once. What I would like (and I think everyone would appreciate) is anything that you've leaned or "invented" along the way. My view of this craft is that new builders tend to be more inventive and discover new techniques because they aren't committed to doing things the same way. Remember to share your trials - some will fail (and those too are valuable lessons).

Posted by: John Dow (204.60.205.---)
Date: December 12, 2004 03:55PM

Greg , don't swett the wrapps .......you will be re wrapping them soon enough. I've re-wrapped the first rod I built 2 times already . It's like a Giunea pig when I want to try somthing different. I still fish with it and it has had 2 different sets of guides, and that rod really opened my eyes to the difference between traditional snakes , and single foot guides with inserts. Thats the fun of doing it your self .Have fun . John

Posted by: Greg Mitchell (---.dsl.spfdmo.swbell.net)
Date: December 12, 2004 07:59PM

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement. Already planning the next one (rod) in my head.
You're right Steve - I can't wait for the first fish on the rod.

Thanks again,
Greg

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster