I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

cp turns garnet dark
Posted by: karen erickson (---.dsl.zianet.com)
Date: December 11, 2004 08:35AM

I paid more attention this time to what I expected from my garnet colored thread wraps, and it's true, the cp leaves the color almost black. Is there any cure for this - thinner, thicker, bad cp?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: cp turns garnet dark
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.54.25.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: December 11, 2004 09:14AM

What type color preserver are you using? When applied, the CP should turn the thread a uniform dark color, but when dry, the color should come back up. You may lose a shade on darker blanks, but the color should return to near normal. Some CP's work better than others in this regard, but none of the modern acrylic or urethane/acrylics should make the thread permanently dark.

Date: December 11, 2004 10:25AM

It's gudebrod, and I thought I had noticed this before, but figured it was just my imagination. If I scratch a little at the wraps, the color comes up a little, but it's still way darker than the older wraps I have put on with this same bottle - does it "keep" OK?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.54.235.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: December 11, 2004 11:17AM

It should keep just fine (Gudebrod 811?). But the color of the thread should not darken more than one shade, even on very dark blanks. I'm not sure I wouldn't try another bottle, or even switch to something like the Glass Coat Professional Color Sealant. Garnet should not appear "black" with color preserver.

Posted by: Steve Bohrer (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: December 11, 2004 12:19PM

The only thing I have found that will keep wraps near "off-the-spool color is Varathane crystal clear Diamond, blue can.

Date: December 11, 2004 12:43PM

Whoops, I just noticed what is probably the problem - I have been thinning the CP with brush cleaner, not alcohol as directed. Don't know how I got that in my head, but now, how can I get the CP off - alcohol?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.57.141.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: December 11, 2004 01:54PM

You shouldn't thin it at all if possible, but 10% to 20% with alcohol would be okay.

Posted by: Terry Blair (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 11, 2004 09:49PM

Karen, Just catching up, so,sorry if this is late. Just finnished an experiment with garnet after the same garnet finish on a light fly rod went waay dark. I was wrapping on a matte blank.

I wrapped the same garnet on a matte black blank, but this time I gave it 2 coats of CP(Gudebrod 811 and 24 hrs. between coats ).One coat of Flex Coat HB and the colors were stunning! Hopes this helps.

Posted by: Steve Lynas (209.135.109.---)
Date: December 12, 2004 02:21PM

I have just been testing Gudebrod A size Garnet colour code # 206 with a Gudenbrod Colour preserver for some wraps I am about to start and there is no doubt that the preserver is holding more of the true colour. I only applied one coat on my sample and have read that perhaps more then one is better. Probably a problem like you said with the preserver you got. Any suggestions on colour combos with the garnet I was thinking of the dark greens but then my sample wraps starting looking a little to much like a Christmas decoration. Any other colours that people think look nice with the garnet I'm all ears.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.57.72.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: December 12, 2004 04:51PM

One coat is generally all you'd need. The 2nd coat will not penetrate the first. Just don't over-thin the stuff, and don't thin it all if it's manageable enough to use as is.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster