I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

PermaGloss over Gudebrod CP
Posted by: Steve Lynas (64.187.60.---)
Date: December 10, 2004 05:04PM

I wanted opinions on a thread wrap finish I am thinking of doing for a 9'9" float rod I am building for myself. I want to use Colour Preserver on the threads. I have Gudenbrod brand available in my kit. I would like to then use U40 Perma gloss for just one coat on the thread wraps to seal. Then I would like to finish with one or two coats of Flexcoat high build formula. I want to know how builders feel about this combination of products on one wrap. I do not have enough of the permagloss to just use it by itself for several thin coats. This I guess is why I am using it up for one coat and then finishing the buid with the Flexcoat I got lots of. I also guess I believe the overall finish might be thinner if I start with a thin coat of the permagloss I am just worried about how it reacts with the CP.

All opinions are always welcomed.

Thanks
Steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: PermaGloss over Gudebrod CP
Posted by: Joe Kassuba (---.wa.charter.com)
Date: December 10, 2004 05:54PM

Hello Steve
If your goal is a thin coat as possible then use just one coat of PermaGloss. It is a very tough finish. It will cover over CP just fine provided you allow the CP to fully cure.
However, if the goal is to cover the threads so that you cannot feel them then us a thin coat of epoxy over the threads that have been covered with Perma Gloss over the cured CP. Make sure and let the Perma Gloss cure for a full 24 hours before coating with another finish so that all of the solvent has disipated. In fact if you can wait a couple of days and then cover with another finish.
You can of course just use epoxy right over the cured CP. Apply a thin coat of epoxy to start with and then covering with another thin coat after it has cured for a day.
What ever you do let the previous coating cure adequately before applying another coat of any finish.
When in doubt try your idea on a piece of scrap blank.
If your coming to the Charlotte show Trondak will be sharing a way to increase the pot life of Perma Gloss.
Regards Joe

Re: PermaGloss over Gudebrod CP
Posted by: John Dow (---.60.169.19.adsl.snet.net)
Date: December 10, 2004 06:39PM

Steve , I have used all three of the products listed in the exact same order you have mentioned with good results . Most all fly rods I build I use a coat of PG as the first epoxy coat , then one or 2 coats of either FC , or LS. If the rod in question needs CP , it is put on before any epoxy , and I've had no problems . Just make sure every thing is DRY as Joe said before you put one on top of the other . I usually try to do my finishing in a 3 night streach , CP, PG ,2 part epoxy , then I'm assured of a full cure to all products used ...................Thats my experience with the stuff you mentioned . Have fun, JD

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster