I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cursed rod
Posted by: john kepka (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: December 09, 2004 04:04PM

Every time I work on this rod for my son which I need to have done by next Saturday something goes wrong on the finishing step.I have removed the guides once already.

This time I have gotten too much CP (clear coat cp) on the wraps. Of course I had to try too fix it too late. So I have some real hvy spot which had alred begun to set up when I tried to take off excess and some is wavy. I have done this on before but when it comes to this rod I really screw up. Performance anxiety--choke.

What can be the effect of too much cp which in spots looks like finish?

Should I just cut them off again and just go to a different wrap?

Maybe I will feel better when It is dry.
thanks

John kepka

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cursed rod
Posted by: Patrick Vernacchio (---.telalaska.com)
Date: December 09, 2004 04:16PM

John, I typically lay a heavy coat of Flex Coat CP/Sealer and I do get some small, white particles or even white, mottled areas, that appear to be laying on the wrap while drying. Given enough drying time, they do disappear. I usually wait from a few hours to overnight before I apply the finish.
Even those areas that are still mottled, seem to disappear when I apply the finish. What you might try doing if you have only applied the CP/Sealer and not the epoxy/finish is wet a brush with warm water and stroke the wraps that have these spots to either incorporate them into the wrap or remove them.
You should not have to re-wrap the guide to fix this problem. You can scrape heavy areas and light reapply cp/sealer. Just make sure the wraps are very dry when you apply the finish.
Patrick Vernacchio

Posted by: Robert Marie (---.in-indianap0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: December 09, 2004 08:07PM

John,

My 1st reaction is that I have used at least three different cp products and even recoated a few. It seems always to end-up with a satin appearance.

With this kind of trouble and the shortness of time, it might be easier to try a fresh bottle of CP, and even, a different brand. At worse, you'll have a backup supply.

My experience is that the 'epoxy step' tends to smooth-out the overall appearance, anyway.

Plus, your son will no doubt be pleased that you love him enough to make something as nice as a custom rod for him.
Something with a long life.

Good luck and Merry Christmas.
Bob

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 09, 2004 09:28PM

Sooner or later EVERYONE runs into "the rod that refuses to be built" . I have one that I've been working at off and on for myself for over 6 months. If it could go wrong - it has. It's a stand-up tuna stick - found the spine & set the tip (with epoxy) assembled the butt section. Gimble didn't line up with the reel seat. It was off almost 30 degrees because I set it aside to dry standing up and the gimble rotated. Fixed that and then looked at the tip - 180 degrees off the reel seat -- Total "What did you do to yourself!" situation. Got that all taken care of - of course now 180 degrees off where I intended it to be. Followed by guide wraps that blotched ... then epoxy that I mixed two parts of side A and no side B (telephone call interruption) that resulted in taking the guides off a second time. ... This one just refuses to go outside and play with the fishies. Luckily it's for me and I am last in line for new rods.

Posted by: Ed Carr (---.msn.com)
Date: December 09, 2004 10:15PM

I had this happen on a large butt wrap flex CP started to dry before I could finnish putting it on. Solution add water to CP and it works great. I mix it in bottle everytime I use it with a narrow plastic spatula just swirl in a cirular way, you won't get bubbles. Just use a couple med heavy coats. As for the large butt wrap that I screwed up, before it completely dryed I wet a cloth with water and wiped with the flow of the thread to thin the stuff that was not set up yet . Repacked any threads I moved and let it dry,then I used a thread pick to remove any white clomps that were left. Then I put on a coat of the water thinned stuff and let it dry. Turned out pretty good. As it thickens again over time I just add more water. Folks here won't agree but I've used it a lot and no problems.Ed...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster