I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

WRITING WITH JELL PEN ON ROD
Posted by: Phil Coventon (---.ok.ok.cox.net)
Date: December 08, 2004 10:04PM

I am completing a rod and want to put the owner's name on it. I have uses gold and silver jel pens on tests, and the epoxy finish tends to smear the writing. Is there a way to successfully complete this task and keep the lettering from smearing?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: WRITING WITH JELL PEN ON ROD
Posted by: Scott Lewis (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 08, 2004 10:13PM

Phil,
I just did this last night and had success. First, I used extra-fine steel wool to roughen up the blank slightly where I wanted to write. Then, after writing, I sprayed that area of the blank with clear acrylic enamel in a spray can (available at hardware, paint and craft stores). I let that dry and then applied epoxy. No runs whatsoever!

Good luck!

Anyone else have another solution?

Posted by: Bob Crook (---.msn.com)
Date: December 08, 2004 10:54PM

I use Krylon Crystal Clear acrylic spray. One quick shot from about 10 inches, hair dryer on low for 3 or 4 minutes and apply the finish.

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: December 08, 2004 11:10PM

Phil,
You can get nice decals from decal connection in just a couple of days but if you want to write on the blank I think that you will have better results with a pen and acrylic paint. A number of years ago I tried the gel pens but was never very satisfied with the results. A regular dip type ink pen and the acrylic paint, available in any hobby shop in any color you want, does a much nicer job. It can be applied to the blank without any preparation of the blank and it will dry so that you can put a coat of epoxy over it in 10 or 15 minutes.

Posted by: Robin Pike (---.gv.shawcable.net)
Date: December 09, 2004 12:23AM

Phil.

I use Flexcoat colour preserver. I apply directly from the squeeze bottle it comes in. I never directly touch the ink with a brush and let the liquid flow over the area. After a drying for a day, epoxy can be brushed over the area without smearing. the ink.

Cheers,
Robin.

Posted by: randy emerich (---.sl.psu.edu)
Date: December 09, 2004 12:56AM

Phil:

Let the jell dry for a while. I ran into this but found that if I let the ink dry, it doesn't smear. Also used acrylic spray with success. Don't push your sealer over the letters. Let the sealer run over the letters. Have fun
Randy

Posted by: Adolfito Rosas (---.200-82-79.telecom.net.ar)
Date: December 09, 2004 04:02AM

Randy made two very important points here. Let me add some details from my poor experience.
1) Let the ink dry for at least 24 hours.
2) Just let the sealer run over the letters in "waves".
3) Do not touch inscription directly with brush or any "hard item".

I hope this helps You.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.248.71.47.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: December 09, 2004 08:01AM

I use them all the time. The trick is to heat it with a hair drier. I heat it then let it sit for about 15 minutes then heat again to make sure

Posted by: Tony Dowson (---.ok.shawcable.net)
Date: December 11, 2004 12:47PM

Clear acrylic spray works wonders on easy to smear ink.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster