I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Am I Only Aftcote Finish User
Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 08, 2004 06:22PM

Earlier I posted a question about Aftcote finish after reading references to "New" Aftcote. I received no responses so I began to wonder if I was the only Aftcote finish user.

I purchased mine last Spring. Does anyone know if the formula changed since then? And if so, can anyone describe the the change in performance?

Thanks,
Jeff Shafer

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Am I Only Aftcote Finish User
Posted by: Clyde Roberts (---.ec.rr.com)
Date: December 08, 2004 06:59PM

I haven't noticed any changes & I use it exclusively for guide wraps.

Posted by: William Colby (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: December 08, 2004 06:59PM

You could e-mail Aftco and ask. I tried the orginal product and didn't see any advantage over the other I had been using but I can't really complain. It seemed to work okay.

Posted by: Todd Vivian (---.lamiglas.com)
Date: December 08, 2004 07:30PM

Jeff,
I have been using this finish on our saltwater and surf sticks for over a year now. It is an excellent finish with several advantages over a standard one. I have seen no changes in the formulation since the time I first started testing it almost 2 years ago.

Todd

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 08, 2004 07:57PM

There were a lot or rumors about this product when it first came out. The one about how you could vary the amount of hardener and resin to get different results was the dumbest. The literature and instructions that came with every kit plainly said to be sure to mix with a perfect 1 to 1 ratio ONLY.

I think the thing about the original not getting hard enough and AFTCO having to go back to the drawing board and reformulate it was also a rumor. It's not a very hard finish and still isn't. But it's hard enough to use and hold up over the long haul. AFTCO has always made good products.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny5030.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 08, 2004 09:20PM

To dispelled the reformulation myth a while back - they didn't reformulate, but because so much was sold when it cam out they feel way behind on orders. Or something along htose lines.

I have a pre-production batch, and it is different from the Production stuff which is being sold. I think that is why tehre was some mis-information about this finish initially.

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.airproducts.com)
Date: December 09, 2004 11:45AM

Thanks Everyone,

I enjoy using Aftcote on the light to medium weight fly rods I make, though it's a three coat process. I'm considering trying a heavier build formula and since I like Aftcote was hoping they came out with something heavier.

Jeff

Posted by: Todd Vivian (---.lamiglas.com)
Date: December 09, 2004 04:44PM

Jeff, you might want to play around with it more. I usually am able to do it in one coat and never in over two. I did a butt wrap this morning before coming to work and it covered wonderfully. What I have found to work well for me is to apply the finish shortly after mixing when it is still very thin then wait for ten to fifteen minutes and the viscosity changes considerably and re-apply and it covers great.

Todd

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster