I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Drill bits
Posted by: Fran Park (---.atlaga.adelphia.net)
Date: December 08, 2004 06:18PM

I know we've beaten this one to death, but I want opinions on pilot pits versus brad point bits. I have found a source for 10" brad point bits, and want to know if they will run true on the lathe, drilling reel seat material. I can't find pilot bits 10" long.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Drill bits
Posted by: William Colby (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: December 08, 2004 07:03PM

They might but it will depend on the quality of the bit and the accuracy of your lathe, not so much whether it's a brad or bullet type bit.

The longer bits I've had tend to be no so very straight and it's hard to get them to center easily. Once in the wood they do track straight though. I just use the common B&D Bullet Point bits. I use the standard length and most times just swap the insert end for end boring half way through each end. I can usually meet in the middle pretty accurately.

Posted by: Galen Briese (134.129.79.---)
Date: December 09, 2004 09:29AM

Fran I have used brad point bits to drill stabilized wood inserts, and my experience with them is once they get into the block , I have a hard time keeping the points clean. They seem to fill up with resin and tend to wander very easily. I have been using the 135 degree split point bits, and have had reasonable results. Main thing is to keep the bit clean of chips and go slowly. I have got 8" bits, so I only have to make one pass. I also start out with small holes, 1/4 and then ream to fit the blank. I have the bits in the most used sizes, 1/4, 5/16, and 3/8" . If any additional reaming is needed, usually I can get it done with standard length bits once the insert is turned and trimmed for length. I do my turning with mandrels, that way if the hole is a little off center from end to end, the insert will still be concentric once it is turned, thus eliminating an off center hole drilled after turning and ending up with a discarded insert.

Posted by: Fran Park (---.atlaga.adelphia.net)
Date: December 09, 2004 02:21PM

Galen, I have never heard of 135 degree split point bits. What was your source for the 8" bits? Also, instead of drilling 1/4" and reaming, couldn't you drill bigger and use an arbor to fill the gap, like the Flexcoat arbors? I haven't reied stabilized wood yet, but is it hard to ream to size without getting off center?

Posted by: Galen Briese (134.129.79.---)
Date: December 09, 2004 03:06PM

Fran I got lucky and found the bits at a local surplus store, they were brand new bits by Vermont american. You can get these bits on many sites on the internet, just do a search on drill bits and then either parabolic bits or 135 degree . These bits have flutes that are designed for faster chip removal. these are not the magic cure, but for me they have been very helpful, some companies are Irwin, Vermont american and just about all of the companies sell them. Just the length is the problem. The split point helps the bit stay aligned. The reason I cut the inserts to closely match the rod blank, is the sensitivity factor. The rod tip will have a pronounced feel for lite bites and activity. The cut inserts are like anything else if you get them too thin they can become very fragile when machining. Stabilized wood, oak , or just about any type of wood when drilled at lengths of over 2 inches have a tendency or should I say the bits have a tendency to wander, especially in the smaller sizes. A lot of people drill from both ends and hope the holes will match. Andy Dear of Lamar reel seats uses mandrels also, as do a lot of people when machining seats, as do some of the people who make wooden handles. I cut the inserts ID to the size of the foregrip area and ream with rattail file or reamer to fit butt area.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster