I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

brushes for LS Supreme
Posted by: john kepka (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: December 08, 2004 10:45AM

HI
Does anyone use brushes for LS Supreme. I did not do well with the spatula which I did not have and used a 1/4 inch chisel-too thin and got too much on. The knitting needle suggested in the directions did not work well for me either.

Overall, I though the LS Supreme introduced many bubbles just from the syringes used to measure it. Any ideas?

Thanks
John Kepka

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: brushes for LS Supreme
Posted by: Michael Sledden (208.21.98.---)
Date: December 08, 2004 10:54AM

I have always used brushes for apply LS Supreme. One thing I did was purchase the adapta-caps for the bottles to use with the syringes. One other thing as far as bubbles go, it does seem best to spread the epoxy on a plate covered in aluminum foil to help get rid of the bubbles.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.54.205.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: December 08, 2004 10:56AM

I use soft ox-hair brushes and do fine. Ralph will tell you to use a spatula (and will show you how in Charlotte).

Syringes will not introduce bubbles if you fill them properly. The only way they can introduce bubbles is if you get air in them, which you shouldn't do. Keep the tips submerged in the resin or hardener and withdraw the plunger slowly. Dispense slowly as well.

Posted by: Bob Sale (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: December 08, 2004 11:07AM

John,
I used to use brushes with LS supreme and now have switched over to applying it with regular playing cards. This was a tip that I picked up here, and I have to say that it works great. That finish is really thin, and it is very easy to apply too much. The playing card can be trimmed to any width that you want.

One thing that I do with LS is apply it and let the rod turn for about an hour. Then I go back and reapply the partially set and thicker LS to the larger guides where the thread always shows through afther the first coat. A card trimmed almost as wide as the wrap help you level out the thickened finish. Saves a day.

Date: December 08, 2004 11:10AM

I got the bubbles when I emptied the syringes into the mixing dish. Aluminun foil molded over plastic cups.

john kepka

Date: December 08, 2004 11:15AM

Why not just use the plastic cup? Maybe the bubbles are coming from the introduction of air due to the folds in the aluminum foil?

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 08, 2004 11:48AM

If you are getting bubbles in it when emptyong the syringes, you have to be @#$%& air into the syringes.

I drill a small hole in the bottle caps of the LS just big enough for the dyringe tip[s to fit tightly. Completly depress the plunger, turn the bottle upside down and draw the LS in to the syringe then put into a plastic cup or shot glass to mix. Works great and you NEVER have to clean the syringes. When done I just stick the syringe back ito the cap and draw the syringe up a little (I have no idea why). Very quick and easy and there is NO mess or cleanup. When I open new cars, I just switch caps. I have been using the same caps/syringes for at least half a dozen large bottles now.

The reason for pouring the mixed finish out on foil is to lengthen pot life and to let the bubbles escape on their own. Blowing on any bubbles will also cause them to quickly burst. One of the best things about LS is that bubbles are not a problem.

Mike

Date: December 08, 2004 11:55AM

I figured if I used a molded foil then all I needed to do was to spread it out on a plastic lid and I did not need new piece of foil.

Posted by: Grant Darby (164.116.100.---)
Date: December 08, 2004 11:56AM

I use the throw away Flex Coat brushes just because I have hundreds of them, but the softer bristle art brushes do a better job. If you get bubbles coming out of the syringe, you've got bubbles going into the syringe. And that means the mixture won't be 50-50. Use the hole in the cap or adapta caps method and leave the syringes in the bottle. I love LS, and find that when the directions are followed, it works very well..

Date: December 08, 2004 12:07PM

If the plastic cup is small just use that to mix in. Pour the mixture onto the foil. One of the reasons to mix and apply from different dishes is to ensure that when you apply the finish to the rod is a true mix of the 2 parts, and not just resin or hardener that has clung to the side of the mixing container. That will cause a whole other set of problems. The smooth side of the cup will be less likely to introduce air while you mix it.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 08, 2004 12:22PM

WOW!! I just re read my post!! Not enough coffee, I guess (or my wife switched some of the keys on the keyboard!!)

BTW, I'm with Bob! I usually apply lengthwise with a brush, but I always use a playing card cut to size, held against the turning rod to level and remove excess. It works great

Mike

Posted by: Cindy Harlow (---.ev1.net)
Date: December 11, 2004 12:05PM

Two things with syringe use. Always make sure the intake end is below the level of your liquids to reduce the possibility of air entering when you "suck up".

When you depress the syringe to put the parts into your dish, don't ram the plunger home either. That force will make the incoming liquid drive home to the bottom of your "pool". As it is driven home, it will create bubbles since it allows air to reach the bottom along the sides of the fluid jet, much like the way water does when you fill a glass. Submerge the tip into your mix as soon as it gets deep enough and depress slowly.

A trick I use with the 2 part clear coat finish I use for certain crafts is a "pancake" stir. Instead of round and round stirring, I "flip" the mess back onto itself. I've found this helps reduce bubbles as well.

I use brushes when I use this and a piece of cardstock to smooth it out. Works like the playing card. As for my knitting needles, several pairs are currently holding knitting projects.

(Mail just arrived, no Kirkman book yet. I knew I should have paid for Express shipping.)

Hope this helps with the bubbles.

Cindy

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster