I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

cork seal
Posted by: Shane Lyon (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: December 07, 2004 11:56PM

Is cork seal needed? I was told that it makes your cork feel slick. Do factory rods normally have cork seal on them? Advice and opinions aprreciated as always. Thanks, Shane

p.s. this particular rod is a steelhead bobber and jig rod, so it should not be as messy as a bait rod

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: cork seal
Posted by: David Parker (---.sympatico.ca)
Date: December 08, 2004 05:37AM

Shane;
In my opinion, personal choice prevails here whether it is needed or not. Some folks prefer the look and feel of unsealed handles. I build only with grade A cork handles and find that although the quality of the cork is excellant, the use of cork seal darkens and enhances the colour a bit, while providing that little bit of extra protection which may help to extend it's overall lifespan. I have found it certainly aids in protecting the cork from dirt and debris and allows for easier cleaning with a little soap and warm water. To my knowledge, I have never seen a factory rod which has been sealed. Perhaps that is why you will find top quality factory rods with a plastic sleeve covering the handle! My personal steelhead rods have all been sealed and boy you sure can remove the roe yoke easier when the cork has been sealed. I have reconditioned many rods for customers whose cork handles have started to rot due to extended use, improper care and storage.

Shane Lyon wrote:

> Is cork seal needed? I was told that it makes your cork feel
> slick. Do factory rods normally have cork seal on them? Advice
> and opinions aprreciated as always. Thanks, Shane
>
> p.s. this particular rod is a steelhead bobber and jig rod, so
> it should not be as messy as a bait rod

Posted by: Michael Sledden (208.21.98.---)
Date: December 08, 2004 07:05AM

I use cork seal on all of the rods I make. Just make sure you follow the directions and use only one coat. The cork will not fee slick at all. If you go and try to add additional coats to the cork, which I tried one time, then the cork does seem to have a slick feel to it when it got wet. Was like the second coat was just on the surface and wanting to come off.

Posted by: john kepka (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: December 08, 2004 10:02AM

I use cork seal. It does change the appearance of the cork. Grain is enhanced showing imperfections. Try it on the handle or another one. You can easily sand off the layer that is sealed.

john kepka

Posted by: Phil Brna (209.112.180.---)
Date: December 08, 2004 03:52PM

What brand of cork seal works best and where do I get it. I have never used it on a rod before and thought I'd try it on one I am building now.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.54.234.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: December 08, 2004 05:06PM

The only brand made specifically for use on cork is the U-40 "Cork Seal" product. There are other products that can be used, however, including Thompsons Water Seal and BirchWood Casey Tru-Oil. All give a slightly different look and feel.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster