I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Metallic Thread Headaches
Posted by: Fernando Torres (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 07, 2004 10:31AM

I had problems in the past with metallic threads, no matter what I try every time I wrap with HT Metallic thread I always get kinks in the threads when wrappinhg. The thread will twist and curl and no matter what I do it wont help. I have tried less tension, no tension, placing the spool in a cup etc etc.

When I run my fingers along the thread I can feel some slight imperfections or is metallic thread that way?

Any help with this problem would be appreciated.

Thanks
Fernando

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Metallic Thread Headaches
Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: December 07, 2004 10:35AM

I used to put it on a piece of rod blank in a cup notched out to hold the blank. Ran it off the top of the spool back away from me, down into a book, through it and out to the blank. Never had a problem that way.
I now use a tensioning device bought from Jann's; the thread is on a dowel beside the tensioner. No problems, either.

Putter

Posted by: ko tamura (---.nyc.untd.com)
Date: December 07, 2004 10:48AM

Again, have to recommend @#$%&'s Thread Tensioner. The pressure is placed on the spool and the thread isn't compressed between anything in order to get tension. Because metallics are made by wrapping a core thread with a metallic covering, the outer layer can be easily stripped or damaged. The least amount of handling of the outer layer is best. jmo

Posted by: Larry Tysinger (12.145.80.---)
Date: December 07, 2004 10:58AM

I have been using Madeira metallic for the last few months and have none of the problems that I had with HT.

I am sold on Madeira. The Polyneon #40 (which is their nylon) has over three hundred colors. The metallic thread comes in several sizes which I think are all smaller then size A, which using it for underwraps and then overwrapping with A or their Polyneon #40 is easier with less problems with gaps.

www.madeirausa.com

Larry Tysinger

Date: December 07, 2004 11:03AM

This does seem strange to hear all the problems with this Gudebrod metallic thread on the board; I've never had any problems with it while wrapping. I've nicked it when trimming tag ends and burnished it too much (too hard) and messed it up, but never one problem when wrapping??
I use this stuff on guides on nearly every rod that I've built for many years.

Putter

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 07, 2004 11:22AM

If you have a long piece hanging down when you run your fingers over the long end with any pressure it will spiral itselt due to the twist in the covering. Do not handle excessively - let long ends hang free to naturally get the twist out itself - tension on spoon not on thread - do not try to burnish - when cutting tag ends pull tight and cut with SHARP tool (nippers best) - some colors more difficult to work with than others (red and black the worst)- constant tension critical (too much and the thread will tend to jump back and come loose. I have a strong pill for the headache after a few beers do not work.

I use the home made spool tensioner pictured under my name on the Photo board.

Good Luck
Gon Fishn

Q re Polyneon #40
Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: December 07, 2004 11:24AM

Larry, or anyone: Any problem with fisheyes when using this Maderia thread? Is it silicone coated or not?

Posted by: larry pirrone (---.los-angeles-51-53rs.ca.dial-access.att.net)
Date: December 07, 2004 12:29PM

go to a large fabric store and see if they have sulkey metalic thread. it is finer than gudebrod and i don't have those problems you describe.

Date: December 07, 2004 12:38PM

I've used the Madeira on about 6 rods now (metallics), Tom. I haven't had any problems with it YET, but Billy V. alluded to this in a post on the picture board; said he was going to sell it all??
Just finished over some Madeira this weekend, in fact.

Putter

Posted by: Mike Kyle (EbbTide) (---.dyn.grandenetworks.net)
Date: December 07, 2004 01:48PM

Putter can you shoot me over some info on that thread? Thanks a bunch. :)

Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.exis.net)
Date: December 07, 2004 02:33PM

If you are wrapping by power just hold the spool of thread in your hand and you will never have these problems. It takes a little getting use to but is by far easier once you get the hang of it. Jesse

Posted by: Byron Bohnen (---.tnt1.dubuque.ia.da.uu.net)
Date: December 07, 2004 06:47PM

I would like to purchase the @#$%&'s Thread Tensioner for metalic thread. I went to all the sponsors on the left to search. I could not locate a distributor. Could you help me out ko Tamura or any one else?
Thanks in advance.
Byron

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: December 07, 2004 09:08PM

Sulky or Madeira metallics will cure that, I think they also cinch better as trim wraps than HT also.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (12.174.137.---)
Date: December 07, 2004 10:10PM

Byron, you can email the inventor of the @#$%& Thread Tensioner director. His name is John Mantele. Email to jhelga@cox.net

John also is the designer of the All American @#$%& Spiral Roller Guides.

I have also experienced a slight quirkiness whith the HT thread. You have to be careful when handling the thread with your fingers or the outer shell will pull off. I don't even think about burnishing solid HT wraps. Now on the other hand the Sulky metallics burnish to a smooth finish. The only problem I have with the Sulky thread is the spools they come on. I wish they marketed them on the short/fat spools like everyone else. Jay

Posted by: Fernando Torres (4.43.108.---)
Date: December 07, 2004 11:50PM

I got plenty to move on with, really appreciate the help and will use methods and others threads mentioned. I have been wrapping by hand and had even unwound about 2-3 feet of thread at a time and just let it hang and still had the problem.

Burnishing this thread did become a problem so I would do very little or none at all. Will be back at it as soon as I get the last days of the hunt in.

Thanks all
Fernando

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 08, 2004 05:15PM

For them jumbo spools - pitch the spool in a container and take three or four wraps around one of your standard spools in you current spool type tensioner and wrap away. Works for me.

Gon Fishn

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster