I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Forecast blanks
Posted by: Russ Vance (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: December 06, 2004 11:49PM

Anyone have any experience with Batson's imported Forecast blanks?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Forecast blanks
Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.vnet-inc.com)
Date: December 06, 2004 11:59PM

I've built five Forecast fly rods. They are nice moderate action fly rods in weights 3-6. I also built a 7 weight and it seems much slower than the others. They're hard to beat for the money.

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: December 07, 2004 12:08AM

Russ,
I have used quite a few of the Forecast blanks, mainly the salmon and Steelhead blanks, and have been very surprised at how good they are considering their price. They are standard modulus, 33 million, but I have made some resonant frequency measurements on them and have been surprised at how good they are. I have also made some measurements on some of the fly blanks for a friend and again been very impressed considering the price.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: December 07, 2004 12:23AM

I agree with both posts above and the SWB E-glass saltwater blanks are well worth considering also.

Date: December 07, 2004 12:38AM

Thanks a bunch.

I was considering an 8wt for salmon fishing. I have a chance to go to Alaska this summer. I didn't want to invest a ton in a rod I won't probably use that often, but I didn't want to build with junk either. I have built most of my rods on Loomis blanks, but the cost just keeps climbing. I can build two complete rods using Forecast blanks for what one Loomis blank alone would cost me. Loomis makes a great blank, but I just can't justify it for this one.

Thanks again.

Russ

Posted by: Christian Brink (---.dsl.aracnet.com)
Date: December 07, 2004 01:28AM

I've built several Forecast fly rods and I can't see a better value for the money. They are surprisingly fast responding considering they are 33 Million Modulus.

They seem to be straighter than many of the lower priced blanks that I have seen.

I had the chance to tour their (old) facility and I can tell you they spend a great deal on QC and they have always been a great to deal with.

Christian

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.156.29.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: December 07, 2004 07:45AM

make sure they are the 2004 ones

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: December 07, 2004 07:53AM

I've probably built 40-50 Forecast fly rods in 3-6wt. and plan to build more. If I needed a rod for a trip like you do, I'd strongly consider the Forecast. In fact, the two rods I have packed up and ready to travel at a moments notice are the F764-5 and the F865-5. I enjoy fishing with them both enough that I have often wondered why I own any other rods considering that these 2 cover basically all my fishing needs and are super portable and only cost me about $60 each to build. Then I remember the reason....I am insane.

Posted by: Robert Schuler (---.delv.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 07, 2004 09:38AM

Best blank for the money, very durable. I use a 5wt 5 piece and find it hard to lay down. I am building a 5 piece 8wt to take to Washington state this spring to fish around the San Juan islands. Its going to be a gift to my host...Bob.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: December 07, 2004 10:31AM

Certifiably insane...

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: December 07, 2004 10:37AM

Randy, I take that as a compliment. It's a fine line between being committed to the craft and being committed to an asylum.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: December 07, 2004 10:55AM

Yeah, I think if a person's built for any time at all, the arsenal approaches the insanity level !! Definitely meant as a compliment to you, Steve.

Putter

Posted by: Patrick Vernacchio (---.telalaska.com)
Date: December 07, 2004 03:00PM

Russ Vance, An 8wgt will be suitable for all species of Salmon, except for medium to large King Salmon, and depending on the type of waters you will be fishing. Where are you planning to fish? I live and fish the northern rivers almost exclusively, and fish the Kenai for second run coho and reds. Just make sure you bring a spare and plenty of flies.
Patrick Vernachcio

Date: December 07, 2004 06:32PM

I don't know where I'll be exactly yet. My neighbor is going to be working up there for the railroad and invited me to come up and stay with them. I will be able to ride the rails for free, so I guess I can go anywhere there is a railroad. I don't know just what that means in Alaska. I hope to get a chance to talk to him one of these days (he has been out of town) and find out more. We will probably be there in late June (not the greatest timing, but I can't seem to talk my daughter out of getting married in July...kids!) Any advice on flies I should bring for both trout and salmon or any other species I might encounter?

Glad to hear the good comments on the Forecast blanks, I just got off the phone with Dave Lewis of Performance Fly Rods. I ordered his 9' 8w 4 pc kit. Now I can't wait for it to get here.

As to the crazy part, I think that probably applies to most of us here. I'm sure my wife would agree.

Russ

Posted by: Ray Vinzant (---.gci.net)
Date: December 07, 2004 06:39PM

If you make it to alaska, built 2...or 3. You'll probably need them. I would recommend a 7 wt for some awesome fighting, and a 10 wt for horsing kings + backup durability so you can keep fishing for the rest of the trip when the 7 wt explodes. Forcasts would be perfect for this. I have a 5wt that I love for dollys up here in Southeast. I cant wait to see how long it lasts this spring on the Situk (being replaced w/ a dan craft) where you can fish a hole filled with 200 native steelhead above a quarter-mile logjam. Great fun.

Date: December 07, 2004 11:39PM

Russ, The end of June, or anytime in June, are great times to fish in Southeast Alaska. I'm a novice when it comes to fly fishing. I'm just getting started collecting flies, and I hope to be tying some during the real winter. For King Salmon, pick up woolybuggers, articulated or non-articulated. You'll have to talk to the locals for color combos, but, purple seems to be popular. Patrick Vernacchio

Date: December 08, 2004 05:23PM

I make my own flies. What size hooks should I be using for salmon? I assume the trout, like the ones around here, will eat mosquito type flies. I have no experience with salmon though, so I am clueless as to size and type of fly to use. I can easily make wooly buggers, but I wonder how big they should be.

One of the fishing shows had them catching kings on kind of a hot pick streamer with a spinner at the front, but that was on the ocean. I think I will be mostly fishing rivers from the bank. They never really said what size the fly/hook was and it is hard to guesstimate from television.

Russ

Date: December 09, 2004 02:53AM

Choose flies that have size 2 hooks or larger. I'm a novice using the flies, but the buggers, salmon egg patterns, or flesh patterns work dependably best up here. I'm sure there are others, and over the next few seasons, I plan to find out what they are.
The description sounds like a teaspoon. Attractants in saltwater are different then what works in fresh water. Lures cast by spinning and baitcast rods use size 4/0 - 5/0 hooks, at least for King Salmon, attached to 20-30 pd test. I like to stay at the light end, even going down to 17 pd test for Kings in some waters. Use 3/0 - 4/0 hooks for Coho. Vibraxes and pixies are popular lures. Colors and size vary, depending on the location, conditions, etc.
Good Luck

Patrick Vernacchio

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster