I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spinning rod guides?
Posted by: Brian Patterson (---.coatsv01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 05, 2002 07:25PM

I have got a blank from a rodbuilding place near my house (Versitex) for really cheap. It is for 12-20 pound line and is about 7'6". What guides would be good for this rod and what number of guides do most of you use on a rod like this...every rod is different, but your sudgestions are welcome.

Tight Wraps
Brian

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spinning rod guides?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: March 06, 2002 08:58AM

We'd need to have a bit more info. What type fishing will you be doing? Spinning or Casting?

Determining proper guide number and placement have been covered in detail in RodMaker this past year.

Come back with a few more details and I think we can narrow down some choices for you.

Date: March 06, 2002 03:58PM

It is a spinning rod and plan on using it for a heavy action bass rod and a for fishing from docks and some jetties for a light action saltwater rod. I will be casting 1/2 to 1 1/2 ounce lures. I was thinking on using alconites SF's and was wondering what would be the best or if i should not use single foots.
Thanks
Brian

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: March 06, 2002 04:57PM

The single foot guides will hold up, although if you expect the rod to see very heavy duty use I might use a bit beefier guide just to handle the hard use and handling the rod might expect to see.

If you do go with the single foot guides, incorporate a security wrap, such as the Forhan style, so they will stay put during storage and transport. (That's where most damage occurs.)

You might also use double footed guides from the reel out to the intersect point (New Guide Concept System) and then single foots out to the tip from there. I do this quite often and it works very well.

Concept System
Date: March 06, 2002 06:42PM

Does this concept system work with all guides or only with the fuji concept guides. I am kind of confused, can somebody help me out.

Re: Concept System
Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 06, 2002 07:53PM

You can create the New Concept system with any guides.

Fuji's New Concept guides are simply a type of guide series. Their high frame design does make them work well within the New Concept system though. On heavier saltwater rods which I what I mostly build, they are a bit too light framed for my tastes and I usually fall back on SVSG types for my first few guides. Then NSG's for the ones out to the tip. Sometimes I have used the single foot fly guides for that in the SG style. But on the really heavy spinning stuff I still stay with double foots. Maybe it's overkill. I don't know and haven't had the time to find out.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster