I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

I stumped everyone once, lets try again.
Posted by: Joe Schmades (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: December 04, 2004 12:09AM

OK -- since no one seems to know (or is willing to tell) what Chinese factory makes the Forecast blanks; how about a name and info of any Chinese factory that will make a wide variety of fly rod blanks/rods (and spin/cast/etc.) to spec for export. I've searched the web for hours and only come up with Chinese companies that make one or two models of fly rods in a few sizes/weights and do not make to customers specs. Someone out there must have some idea.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I stumped everyone once, lets try again.
Date: December 04, 2004 12:14AM

Just for clarification, I am including my last reply to my former question string below:

I did contact Batson and they would not tell me the company/factory. Yes, they did change (factories in China) when they made the switch from the 2003 to 2004 (Forecast models), but its not like they switch makers every year. In recent history, the Forecast line has only been made in two different factories in China. The rest of the string is beginning to stray from my main question. Someone out there must know or have a good idea of who makes the forecast blanks. Batson will not tell who makes them.

Posted by: Raymond Mazza (---.syr.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 04, 2004 01:52AM

I don't know if you'll be able to garner the actual companies, it's rather proprietary informantion. There are several factories in China, Taiwan and other Asian Countries that have factories building rods and blanks. I know of a few that build more than just a few types of rods or models. If you are looking for rods or blanks to be built for you and wish to go overseas, I can put you in contact with a very reputable company that will build to your specs or from their line for you. I have a friend who has contracted with them in the past and can vouch that the company has a long standing reputation for quality and dependability. It is unfortunate in my opinion, that US companies are forced to outsource due to the high costs of production here in the US. Be that as it may, the Batson line of products are very high quality and are built on their designs, tapers and material specifications. These are not the products you can purchase as private lable from the manufacturers. Again, there is a proprietary agreement in existance to protect those who pay for the many hours of design and testing.
Ray

Posted by: Dave Wallbridge (82.152.144.---)
Date: December 04, 2004 06:31AM

Why don't you contact the Trade section of the Chinese Embassy. They should be able to supply you with a list of blank manufacturers, one of whom would be able to fulfil your needs I'm sure.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.54.35.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: December 04, 2004 08:55AM

I doubt most rod builders would have any idea where any of the oriental made blanks are sourced from. And for most purposes it doesn't make any difference - the performance and quality of the end product is more important than where it originated.

Trying a Forecast blank will tell you a lot more about it than knowing what factory it was made in.

Then again, I really have no idea what it is that you're digging for. I can only presume that Batson Enterprises chooses to keep their blank source somewhat of a secret. I can understand that position.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 04, 2004 09:00AM

Concerning the quote in the above thread from Ray Mazza:

"It is unfortunate in my opinion, that US companies are forced to outsource due to the high costs of production here in the US".

We all need to consider why these moves are taking place. The business model described, in a recent Frontline program on ABC, details the business practices that Wallmart has used to change the way we do business here in the US. Manufacturing companies who developed goods used to determine the selling price which included a fair an usually nominal profit. At present the buyer of the goods is determining the price of the item and the expectation is that the price will be always lower and lower and lower. This drives the production to the lowest possible labor cost. China is the place. If our expectation is to receive lower blank price each time we make a purchase the manufacturers have no choice. WE ARE THE ONES THAT SENT THE MANUFACTURERS TO CHINA! A person working in a blank factory in Washington State making quality blanks should not be expected to work there for $ 0.50 per hour. Blanks just slip into the mold of TV sets, radios, shoes, socks, coats, DVD and Rubber Maid knock offs.

I can remember when the motto of Wallmarts advertisements was Made in America. At present 80% of inventory is from China. I am wondering where my grandchildren will eventually have to move to China to find a job.

Bill

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.54.35.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: December 04, 2004 09:18AM

That's quite true - the American consumer had and still has the power to determine where the goods we buy are made.

But as I've mentioned in other posts, we can get way off target on such topics and lose site of the fact that this is a rod building board first and foremost, and we need to try to keep the topics focused on that.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.21.165.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: December 04, 2004 09:53AM

I like there blanks but one thing I see is the thin tips on the lighter Forecast models with 4.0 tips are a little fragile and tend to snap, for this reason I always try to go no lower then 4.5

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: December 04, 2004 11:05AM

Joe,
Unless you are considering buying thousands of blanks I think that you are chasing your tail looking to China.
You can get blanks colored for you, private branded for you or even made to your specifications right here in the US and get them at very attractive prices if you are willing to buy significant numbers. And the numbers do no have to be all that large.
Having them made in China means phone calls, even trips to China, trying to communicate with someone who at best speaks English as a second language, quality problems, import licenses et. etc. etc. All of which will add up to a heck of a lot of money, time and trouble.
Unless you are talking about very large numbers you will be much better off talking to the US blank/rod manufacturers about your needs.

Posted by: David A. Fuller (---.region6.ang.af.mil)
Date: December 04, 2004 02:41PM

There are a couple very good companies in a more polically friendly South Korea, that'd get my business if I were in that position.

I'm not familiar with their names but I see south korea on many fishing related items. I do know Browning rods and some others of that caliber are made there.

David A. Fuller
Great Basin Fishing Rods

Date: December 04, 2004 05:26PM

Ray,

Thanks for the offer to relay the info. Please contact me at joeschmades@yahoo.com with the info.

Joe

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: December 04, 2004 06:55PM

Why is so important to you that you know where Baston has there blanks made? Many US rod manufactures make blanks for other companies. GLoomis makes some of the Cabals blanks. Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: December 06, 2004 04:40PM

When I saw Bill Baston back in June , He kind of explained the process he went threw to get the products he wanted and the quilty controll he desired. Bill said it took hundereds of phone calls and about 8 trips over there to get thing finalized. To me that in its self is a finaincual hardship, besides the cost of the order of blank , many models, series and guides. Bill designed how their own serries of guids were to be made. What ever your desires are I would go to a embasy and check out manufactures who deal in graphite and fibergass, who already have export and import lic. with the US
Good Wraps Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster