I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Dumb Rod Project
Posted by: John Butterfield (---.adsl.gulftel.net)
Date: December 03, 2004 08:31PM

Have you ever built a rod for yourself that you don't need and may never use? I did. I obtained an Alvey reel at a sale of fishing gear owned by a fishing club member that died. Alvey reels always fascinated me and I could not resist. Now that I had the crazy Australian reel, I had to make a rod for it. I researched the subject and came up with an expensive St. Croix surf blank. It came out well (10' 6" with a short butt and long foregrip). I also put on an, "Alvey open runner", which is an open guide you flip the line in after you cast. I made this thing several years ago and except for a test casting session, I have never used it. It was dumb to make it but I did. Have any others made rods you probably will never fish with? Can any of you Aussies, throw any light on these outfits? John Butterfield

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dumb Rod Project
Posted by: Kevin Kresowaty (---.nwcspa.adelphia.net)
Date: December 03, 2004 08:36PM

I built a 5 1/2 foot 5 wt fly rod from a Pac Bay Tradition ultra light spin blank I had laying around. The grip was made out of spare cork and is only 4 1/2 inches long. I did a pretty nice job on the rod too. Have yet to cast it anywhere near water. Wish I would have had a bigger grip to use.

Kevin

Posted by: Myles Boon (---.a.001.brs.iprimus.net.au)
Date: December 03, 2004 08:55PM

G'day John,
I'm orginally from Sydney, New South Wales and only a the die hard beach fisho's used them. Back in 1997 I was transfered to Brisbane Queensland (basically I saw the light) everyone uses them, Queensland is where they were designed, I think. You see the smaller ones used in Esturaries,Rivers, beachs even the Southeast Queensland Australian Bass lakes the bigger ones used as deepsea winchs, I pesonally own a couple but very rarely use them as I don't enjoy beach fishing that much. I do a lot of esturary, lake fishing for Barramundi and Mangrove Jack (mangrover snapper I think you call them in the States. I have seen people catching 20kg barra on the alvey reels in the northern impoundments. They are a very simple reel with little maintenance. I made a downrigger out of one of mine, and it works great. You should sell the rod to a dedicated beach fisho, they take a bit of getting used to, but beach fisho's here love them. They range in size from about 4" upwards.
6" 6.5" 7" ones are the most popular for beach fishing by the looks of things.

Myles
Brisbane, Australia

Posted by: Jim Kastorff (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 03, 2004 09:56PM

Since I've "wasted" many hours making custom wrapped pringle cans, xmas ornaments, weaves on tackles boxes etc etc etc, I don't believe its possible to have dumb rod project. Rod projects are worthwhile, pringle cans are not!

Posted by: Myles Boon (---.a.001.brs.iprimus.net.au)
Date: December 03, 2004 09:59PM

Hey Jim,
The only good thing about a pringle can, is that you can usally enjoyed a few beers while emptying the can.

Myles

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: December 03, 2004 10:22PM

Dumb rod project?? Not me!! Never!! Well, maybe there was that one... and then I did that stupid reel project...
Naw, I'd never do any of that stuff

Putter

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: December 03, 2004 10:23PM

...and then there was that lamp bracket marble job...

Posted by: Raymond Mazza (---.syr.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 04, 2004 02:00AM

Ever custom grid an ice rod?? How's that for "questionable" behavior?!
Ray

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 04, 2004 06:27AM

How about the golf club fishing rod I made? Fellow asked me if I could make a fishing rod that looked like a golf club because there is a lake on a course that they don't open to fishing... he plays golf but also fishes. It had to look like a golf club when sticking out of his bag. Oh - and if you have no use for that Alvey --- I have one that I use all the time and I love it for casting - but it's a long way back to the beach at 1:1 ratio! I've been meaning to make another rod for an antique Alvey reel made from silky oak and brass fittings/brass lead guide. IF you don't use yours -- we can make a deal if you contact me off-board.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.21.165.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: December 04, 2004 10:08AM

Talk about dumb, I got a St Croix butt section fly with a e-glass tip section? Should have been at least the other way around for weight. Nice gold color, was a 5 WT and will work as a 3WT like I wanted, but it feels like a rock is on the end of it. Live and learn - what was I thinking???

Posted by: Ralph Jones (---.att.net)
Date: December 04, 2004 10:25AM

I built a 15 ft. 10/11 wt. 3 pc. spey blank into a bait spinning/Alvey rod to fish live minnows at long distances (150 ft. plus) for Stripers & cats. I either use a baitrunner reel or an Alvey 45C1 with 8 lb. Ralph

How about this one??
Posted by: Jim Kastorff (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 04, 2004 11:14AM

I'll try and post a pic this weekend of a walking stick I just made for a buddy who walks his dog everyday. I made it out of an old wooden golf club, a driver, and ground the wooden head down and fitted a rubber tip on it , even wove his initials on it over the approx 30" 8axis chevron!!

Posted by: Barry McGuire (---.newm2.ct.charter.com)
Date: December 04, 2004 03:50PM

John; I did exactly the same thing..really got carried away. 4 guides,first one 4" in diam; Fancy butt wrap forward of the open runner; extended the butt of a glass flea-market surf rod for length;fooled with building the thing for a coupla weeks. Don't know if I'll use it or not.. it's so different from everything else, but it is fun to fool with,and it'll toss a 4 oz. sinker an awful long way. Barry

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster