I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Show Clarification
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.54.130.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: December 03, 2004 03:45PM

Some folks have called me to inquire about the nature of the show in Charlotte, having been told that it is primarily for those who build fly rods. Not true. Not even close.

Yes, they'll be a ton of fly rod blanks and related components there and there will also be a full fledged fly fishing show taking place in the same hall, but The National Rod Builders' Show encompasses all types of rods and rod building.

You can expect to find most any offshore, stand-up or surf rod blank there. You can expect to find most any bass, walleye, steelhead, crappie, etc., blank or related components there. This is a huge show - expect to find literally thousands of rod blanks of all types in the hall, along with components running from snake guides to offshore uni-butts. Take a look at the seminar and demo list - it runs the gamut from fly rod building to surf rod building and all points in between.

While I'm not big on discounting and the like (read the upcoming article in the new issue of RodMaker), a show like this is where many dealers will be bringing their close-outs, overstocks, sale items, etc., to move out at bargain basement prices. You can save a ton of money at this show and it's impossible to find this kind or range or amount of product at any other rod building show. That's a fact.

The National Rod Builders' Show is by far the largest rod building event held anywhere in the world and it encompasses all types of rods, all types of builders and all types of vendors. There will be plenty of fly fishing related products there, but there'll be plenty of everything else, too. Count on it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Show Clarification
Posted by: Dennis Venutolo (---.org)
Date: December 03, 2004 04:10PM

I actually thought that the fly rod building stuff was in the minority there last year! It was there allright, but there was much more bass and saltwater stuff from what I saw.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.54.124.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: December 03, 2004 05:18PM

One additional point that needs to be made, is that these shows should support and grow the rod building craft - not the other way around.

I would quickly tell any rod builder or any dealer who wanted to come to Charlotte in order to "support the show" to stay home. The show doesn't warrant your support, it's there to support you and to grow our craft.

When a vendors pays his or her fee for a booth space; when a rod builder pays an admission fee to get in the door, it is the show that is then beholden to the vendor and to the rod builder. Not the other way around.

Posted by: John Anderson (---.ktc.com)
Date: December 03, 2004 05:44PM

Very well put Tom!
That is real good statement.

John

Posted by: Aurthur Mercer (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 03, 2004 06:16PM

Tom your viewpoint is exactly why Rodmaker magazine and Rodbuilding.org are at the top in their categories. More businesses should heed that lesson.

Posted by: William Colby (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: December 03, 2004 10:13PM

I attended Charlotte last year and even though I build mostly fly rods it was obvious that all types of rod blanks and parts could be had there. I would agree with Dennis in that fly rod blanks and parts did not make up the majority of what was there. It was a very well rounded rod building show from what I saw.

Posted by: Johnathan Sams (---.65-104.adsl.ij.net)
Date: December 03, 2004 10:46PM

There is no question that some mis information is being spread. I think some of it is understandable as the rod show and fly fishing show are both advertised on the same webpage. There's some of the confusion about what type rods are represented there.

But there is more to it. I even got some rod show spam from another show in one of my E-mail boxes this afternoon. Some things aren't represented entirely truthfully. The thing is that the Charlotte event was so good last year and will be even better this year and other shows that see Charlotte as being competition are feeling the pinch and are fighting back by spreading some mis information about it.

I wouldn't worry about it thought. I think I know where most rod builders will turn up at showtime!

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.57.45.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: December 03, 2004 10:59PM

Any such confustion can only be the result of my failure to properly convey what this show is all about. I will do a much better job in the show advertising from this point forward.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: December 03, 2004 11:56PM

...and it's SHOWTIME!! Thanks, Tom!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster