I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Adhesive for Feather Inlay applications
Posted by: Michael Durgan (---.agcocorp.com)
Date: December 03, 2004 11:28AM

I have collected a number of Feathers for Inlays. I've searched for most of the documentation here and on the web to clarify "the best adhesive" to use. I am asking for the product name brand that has proven to be the easiest to apply to the feather and blank.

I have cleaned the feathers, clipped sections, and now I need the adhesive to combine "clippings" and then adhere the clippings to the blank.

I am not sure if it is necessary to apply a coat of CP to the blank prior to applying the feathers. Opinions, Right, Wrong?

Thanks in advice for the advice on this subject

Michael Durgan

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Adhesive for Feather Inlay applications
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.54.146.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: December 03, 2004 12:04PM

The January/February 1999 issue of RodMaker has the most complete info on feather inlays.

Most people just use color preserver to stick the feathers down with. I've also known builders who use just water and others who use 777 spray adhesive.

Posted by: Bob Hughes (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: December 03, 2004 01:18PM

I use 3m photo mount adhesive for my feather inlays. That way I can do all the arrangement in one sitting in about 15 minutes. Spray the back sides of the feathers and place them how you want them to lay. If it doesn't lay properly, lift it up and re-lay it. If you need to, you can apply another coat of adhesive, just don't soak it down, it's not necessary.

I usually underwrap with a contrasting color. I use the underwrap to help the feathers natural colors "pop out" better. Then I place the feathers on after coating the wrap with CP. This way I retain the color of the underwrap. You could also use NCP thread to achieve the same results.

I used Gudebrod 811 over the feathers and then used LS hi build for the finish. This allowed me to completely cover the feathers with only 3 coats of finish instead of my usual 6 coats using LS lite.

You can probably use any of the rod finishes and CP combinations and achieve similar results.

Hope this helps.
Bob Hughes

Posted by: Elrod (Jon Jenkins) (---.brns.cox-internet.com)
Date: December 03, 2004 01:19PM

Yup, I use U40 color preserver, dilute with water about 70% water 30% cp. Start laying feathers down one at a time starting the the bottom feathers first. Use a brush to position the feathers. Dab with paper towel to remove excess cp/h2o mix. Let dry overnight and then coat with finish. Just be careful with first coat of finish, can knock things loose. I usually just drizzle the first coat on very lightly to "tack" things in place and continue on with my thread wraps. Then next day, put appropriate coat on feathers and wraps. Will probably require (depending on depth of feathers) another 1-2 coats. Don't try to lay a heavy "one coat" finish down. You'll get waves and sags. Tak your time, experiment with the cp. You can alwasy start over and clean up with soapy water any thin films left (all this before finish goes on)
Hope this helped

Posted by: david lourim (141.106.187.---)
Date: December 03, 2004 01:26PM

Michael,

I've done a few and they have turned out quite well - if I do say so myself.

What I've done is to take a couple of drops of CP and dilute it with water (distilled if possible) so that it makes up about a 10-20% solution (quite possibly more dilute than this - it is an eyeball thing). Mix it very well. I then take the feathers and immerse them in this solution so that the feathers are completely soaked. I then take the feathers - individually - and place them on the clean blank. Because they are wet, they are easy to arrange (rearrange) in the configuration you want them in. If you want to work out the design before you lay them on the blank, you can do it on foil - but be careful, when dry they can be hard to peel of the foil. Once dry, they will stick to the black quite well, and do not have a lot of air space in them to give up bubbles when applying the epoxy of your choice.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Posted by: Rick Koontz (65.196.57.---)
Date: December 03, 2004 02:23PM

Michael,

I don't use color preserver on my wraps, so I don't use color preserver on any feathers that will be on top of thread. If I am going onto a bare blank, then I just use gudebrod 811 color preserver. If I am using jungle cock for ferrule alignment marks then I will put the first coat of finish on the ferrules and wait until it has set up a little (but is still sticky, kinda like honey). Then I'll put the jungle cock nail on the ferrule and stick it down. The epoxy should be set enough that it doesn't move a lot when you put the feather down, but will flow back out to remove any marks you just put in it. Then add a second coat when the first is dry to level it all out perfect.

Thanks,
Rick

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.248.64.15.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: December 03, 2004 04:22PM

If I use a base wrap, I clear it, no CP. When dry I put the feathers on with carpenders wood glue thined with water. Dries fast and I can glue the tip of the feather on, dry with a hair dryer, then move or twist the feather and glue again

Posted by: Michael Durgan (---.agcocorp.com)
Date: December 03, 2004 04:25PM

Thanks for all the information. I was not keen on using any epoxies to "tac down" the feather arrangements. I have had my bad experiences and don't need to repeat them.

I will work with your suggestions and maybe I can post the results in the near future.

Thanks again,

Posted by: Andrew White (66.204.20.---)
Date: December 03, 2004 04:48PM

I use Gudebrod 811 cp to stick the feathers to the blank. It's always worked well for me, and I know that the cp will not react with the epoxy, as it's made to go under epoxy.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.248.64.15.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: December 03, 2004 04:48PM

You will probably use several things until you find what you like to use

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster