I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Angler's Workshop silk thread
Posted by: Rick Koontz (65.196.57.---)
Date: December 02, 2004 04:07PM

Hi Guys and gals,

Has anyone use the 'Premium Japanese' silk thread from angler's workshop? I just ordered some to try out and I wanted to hear what others though of it.

I have used fishhawk silk before, but I wasn't crazy about it. It gave me the same look as nylon but was harder to work with. The thread made more fuzzies than nylon and wanted to fray at the put under. It also wasn't as stroke.

Is this stuff any different? There are some colors that I want that I can't get in nylon so I'll use them anyway.

Thanks,
Rick

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Angler's Workshop silk thread
Posted by: Geoff Hanson (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: December 02, 2004 08:14PM

Used it in a butt-wrap a couple af years ago and liked it alot. It layed very flat and the thread blended together very well as though it was a mat almost couldn't see the individual threads. It was the belly portion of a fish pattern and turned out very nice.

Posted by: Harry Boyd (---.bayou.com)
Date: December 03, 2004 12:37AM

Hi Rick,

I've used it quite a bit, and find it very nice. The only silk I think is nicer is the Pearsall's, but their color selection is somewhat limited. Of course, take this with a grain of salt, because I only use silk threads and have almost no experience with nylon.

Harry Boyd

Posted by: Rick Koontz (65.196.57.---)
Date: December 03, 2004 09:49AM

Harry,

Having seen most all of the pictures on your site, I'd say it is good stuff.

You don't by chance have a picture of the granger green or the antique gold on your site do you? Those are the two frontrunner colors for my next rod (11'9" 6/7 wt switch rod). I'm using a black ash burl insert, so I thought the gold might work nicely, but I also like the green color. We'll see what they are when they get here.

Thanks,
Rick

Posted by: Bob Petti (---.hvc.rr.com)
Date: December 03, 2004 01:46PM

I use it quite a bit on my graphite rods. I like how it blends in well with the graphite, so as to virtually disappear. They have a "sea green" color that is a perfect match for Sage SP blanks (and the older Forecast). When I went a thread that will be a dead-on match for the blank, I always look for the silk because it becomes so clear when hit with epoxy.

I've never used it with a color preserver, so I can't say how it compares to other silk threads with that sort of application.

Bob

Posted by: Harry Boyd (---.bayou.com)
Date: December 04, 2004 02:33PM

Hi Rick,

I haven't used the Granger Green, which is really a kind of yellow-olive and VERY hard to find. Here's a shot of the Hunter Green #030
[www.canerods.com]

I use quite a bit of the antique gold from Pearsall's. Here's a shot of that:
[www.canerods.com]

Here's another:
[www.canerods.com]

Two or three caveats. First, I don't use any color prerever. The thread becomes almost perfectly transparent. The color of the blank shows through readily and greatly affects the final look. Second, these photos have probably been slightly tweaked with Photoshop. Though the colors will be very close to actual all computer screens are different. Finally, remember that I'm finishing with varnish which has a natural amber tint to it. Epoxy doesn't add the color that varnish does.

Harry

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster