I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Dumb question about titanium
Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: December 02, 2004 03:06PM

I've always seen titanium as grey. My titanium watch band was pretty grey, my gold cermet titanium guides are grey. But lately I've been seeing things that say titanium, Seiko watch bands and these new guides, that look more shiny and silver, they don't even look like what I'm used to seeing as titanium.

What gives? Is it a new coating or something in the alloy to make them shiny? Or is it a lower percentage of titanium?

Stupid question, but inquiring minds want to know.

Phil

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dumb question about titanium
Posted by: Ken Saums (204.151.5.---)
Date: December 02, 2004 03:18PM

Polished and perhaps coated with something to keep shine?

Posted by: Rick Koontz (65.196.57.---)
Date: December 02, 2004 03:41PM

Phil,

It is all in the alloy. Think about iron. Some alloys are dull metal grey/black while stainless is bright and shiny. It is all in the metals that are alloyed with the titanium.

Thanks,
Rick

Posted by: RIch Garbowski (---.tbaytel.net)
Date: December 02, 2004 03:44PM

Phil,
I really like titanium as a metal color plus the light weight and non corrosive qualities.
As for the guides that are titanium carbide coated or TiCh finish usually have more sheen. They make the guides quite durable. The alloy of titanium like the ones in Fuji guides are less shiny. Both types are liked by many rod builders and their customers, so it's sort of choice as to which way to go on these.

Rich Garbowski
Richard's Rod & Reel

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: December 02, 2004 04:44PM

The Merck Index compendium of chemicals describes pure titanium metal as being a "dark grey, lustrous metal". I've seen the inside of failed ultracentrifuge rotors which are nearly 100% titanium. They are indeed a dark but shiny grey. Titanium has great elastic strength and these rotors used in research labs can handle 140,000+ Gs and 80,000 RPMs. At those forces, they stretch out ! The shinier the interior metal, the lower the alloys content of titanium. Pure titanium machined rotors went for $5,000 for about 20 pounds of metal; that's about $15 / oz, or 50 cents / gram.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: December 02, 2004 04:55PM

P.S. - Excellent resistance to corrosion & great mechanical strength, alloyed or purer, are the hallmarks of titanium. So the luster & color that you choose is up to you & your customer, and a matter of preference, like Rich, Rick & Ken said.

Posted by: don danforth (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 02, 2004 08:59PM

titanium is gray it can be polished
it can be anaidized powder coated
it is very brittle and on top fuel dragster the wing struts are sometimes dyed flat gold kind of a gray gold but only the surface holds the color it is for looks

Posted by: levi farster (---.essex1.com)
Date: December 02, 2004 11:23PM

Phil, Titanium and aluminum can be anodized by submerging in posphorous, I think, In a stainless bowl or tub, anode on the peice and cathode on the bowl, and applying between 1 and 20 volts, with the voltage determining the color. Thats how people get multiple or "rasta" patterns, its just repeated dips at different voltages. I cant remember what silver is, but Im pretty sure that shiny silver titanium results fromm this.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster