I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Recoils vs. ceramics - fly
Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: December 02, 2004 07:29AM

For those who have used both recoils and Alconites (or similar from PacBay, Forecast, or AmTak)) as fly rod guides, how would you compare the two for preventing line wear and slickness/quietness of line passage through the guides. I understand the recoils are supposed to be resistant to all corrosion and be very durable. But I fish freshwater and the inexpesive ceramics are also extremely durable in that environment. I'm considering rewrapping some of my Alconite fly rods with single foot recoils over the winter. If you've tried both, I'd like to hear your thoughts on this. These are all 2-7wt. freshwater rods. I'm thinking I might gain some crispness with no downside other than slightly more expensive.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Recoils vs. ceramics - fly
Date: December 02, 2004 08:37AM

By the way, the rods I'm considering rewrapping are crisp, fast action, soft tipped rods: St. Croix 4F864 and Five Rivers FT863-4, both of which currently have #6 Alconites. I don't see the point in rewrapping rods that are inherently non-crisp to begin with. I have many rods in that latter category and like them a lot for different applications. They perform great with inexpensive and relatively heavy ceramics like PacBay Hialoys.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.54.181.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: December 02, 2004 09:03AM

If you can lighten the rods, particularly near the tip, then the "crispness" will pick up even more. But I've got similar rods and the small, low frame alconites or SIC just aren't that heavy. I'd be interested in hearing your results, although I'm going to be surprised if you can find that much actual difference in the hand.

Posted by: Rick Koontz (65.196.57.---)
Date: December 02, 2004 10:21AM

Steve,

Without a doubt the ceramics are quieter and smoother in all cases. Your line will last longer with ceramics (though it is largely a function of the tip being ceramic) for sure.

The weight factor is up to you. I just built a forecast 7'9" 3 wt (old blanks) with #6 TiCH/TiCH forecast ceramic guides. They don't overload that rod by any means. If you stick with small ceramics with light rings (Alconite, zirconia, SiC), then you benefit greatly with ceramics.

The only time I will go away from this logic is with really small/thin rods, typically under a 3 wt. Then the added weight really does impact the blank. In those cases I will go with wire guides (preferably recoil).

Thanks,
Rick

Posted by: Mike Naylor (---.cvx.algx.net)
Date: December 02, 2004 10:55AM

Just holding the rod in your hand, I'm sure it would be noticeable. You are going from steel to very light wire on some crazy light blanks. But the fly line weight on even the shortest of casts is so great relative to the weight difference between these two types of guides that I find it hard to believe you could tell a difference in a fishing situation...

I love the feel of reeling a fish in on a fly rod with ceramic guides. I can really feel every tug of the fish thanks to the slickness. I wonder if the Recoils are as slick as the Alconite? I find it hard to believe.

Steve- when you finish, lets go catch some trout. They stocked below my house not long ago and no one has fished there for a long time. We'll put my Fuji titanium SIC 4F864 and your Recoil wrapped 4F864 in a head-to-head contest both with a bare rod and on some fish.

Recoils vs. ceramics - fly
Date: December 02, 2004 11:07AM

You're on Mike! You guys are providing some good advice and feedback and it makes sense to me. I'll save my time and use it fishing with Mike instead of rewrapping.

Posted by: Rick Koontz (65.196.57.---)
Date: December 02, 2004 11:35AM

Mike,

The Recoils are not as smooth as any ceramic I've used in either casting or (especially) fish fighting. I can cast just as far with them as ceramics, but there is a good bit of noise and it takes more force to haul with them.

Thanks,
Rick

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.225.---)
Date: December 02, 2004 11:57AM

Steve. I have been debating the same re-wrap on Dan Craft's 6' 10" 1 weight. I am using Recoils on some very thin 0 weights blanks. After examining the blank diameter on the 1 weight, I think I will leave the guides for the time being. I am not sure I am sensitive enough to detect the difference. If you happen to have the same rod wrapped with Recoils, I will make mine available for comparison.

Posted by: Keith Tymchuk (198.237.218.---)
Date: December 02, 2004 12:07PM

Steve,

I just finished my first rod with all ceramics.....a 9.5 ft Lamigals Esprit, 7 wt. In my test casting (yard only) I'm astounded by the difference in sound and perceived smoothness through the guides. I'm a quick convert to them on larger, say 6wt +, rods. I'm not sure that I would put them on my 8'4 4 wt Sig V. however. It is so light and crisp that I don't think I would fool with it. But then you know way more than I....So I'm pretty sure I'm not telling you anything you didn't figure out a long time ago.

First steelhead trip on Sunday, perhaps. I'm ready....

Keith

Date: December 02, 2004 12:09PM

I don't have that Dan Craft rod and really don't fish with anything lighter than a 3 wt. line. For the lines I'm using, Mike Naylor's point makes a lot of sense but for a line that weights nothing, you might want to give recoils a try. I would if I had that rod.

Date: December 02, 2004 12:20PM

Glad you like your ceramics Keith. By the way, I was responding to Don in the post above - referring to his 1 wt. That 844-3 Sig. V would not be bogged down by Fuji BLAGs in 6. As Naylor says, you'd notice it until the rod is strung up with line and then you'd only notice the advantages of ceramics.

Posted by: eric zamora (216.101.134.---)
Date: December 02, 2004 01:49PM

well, i'm pondering the next step in building my 2 piece rainforest 7'9" 3 weight rod. i'll be fishing small to medium sized sierra streams for rainbow, brook, golden and brown trout, rarely up to 12 inches, mainly with 12 to 20-sized dries. i was thinking of trying out the ceramic (alconite?) guides but occasionally, i ponder using recoils. what would you better learned people suggest? i imagine i can't really go wrong either way.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Bill Drury (150.131.235.---)
Date: December 02, 2004 02:10PM

Steve, FWIW - I weighed some Fuji BLAG size 6 and REC RSF size 2 guides --- BLAG = 2.84 grains each, RSF = 1.03 grains each.

The RSF size 2 were the smallest RSF I could find - size 1 may be available; the REC website is contradictory on this.

A problem I have with the REC single foot fly guides is their diameters. The Size 2 have a diameter of 0.235 inch = 6 mm -- bigger than I'd like on 2-7 wt fly rods. No specs for a size 1 are given on REC's web site.

Date: December 02, 2004 02:11PM

Based on all the input on this thread I would go with small ceramics. In tight quarters where it's hard to cast, ceramics make it very easy to to "shake" out line to get a better drift. I just built a 2005 St. Croix 4F793.4 and ended up using chrome Alconites CLAG in size 6. I really ought to sell it to get some cash but I can't bring myself to do it yet. Used exotic burl rings from Andy Dear as the grip material and a birdseye upslide maple seat from Bob Venneri. Dang nice little rod.

Date: December 02, 2004 02:12PM

Bill, thanks for providing those weights.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 02, 2004 02:18PM

Just curious if your opinions would be just as favorable on ceramics versus snakes??

Mike

Date: December 02, 2004 02:36PM

I think the opinions and comparisons of ceramics versus snakes have been made on this site many times. Most who've tried them seem to greatly prefer ceramics, with the possible exceptions of 1) winter steelhead fishermen (icing); and 2) super ultralight 0, 1, 2 wt. fly rods. Since I don't really deal with either of the exceptions, and since recoil seems to lag way behind ceramic on slickness and quietness, looks like it'll stay #6 ceramics for me.

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.224.---)
Date: December 02, 2004 05:10PM

REC does make a size 1 in the light wire single foot. I just got some.
I have used size 5 ceramics on these little rods, but they don't like to pass even a loop connector. Steve may be right on a 3 weight being the cut off for ceramics. Snakes are never in the running.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster