I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

bandsaw question
Posted by: JOHN BLACK (63.146.104.---)
Date: December 01, 2004 09:42PM

i bought a DELTA model 28-245 14" bandsaw off a neighbor today thats in really good shape. (the saw, not the neighbor, he looks horrible). i am sure ita a discontinued model as can't find any infor. on it. does anyone know anything about this saw? is it a good one or did i get a boo-boo. want to use it to cut strips to insert into handles before turning etc etc. and-just because i wanted one! anyway, any infor. on this model is appreciated. ( i already know H.P, capacities etc, just wondered if it is a good model saw. THANKS

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: bandsaw question
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.54.193.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: December 01, 2004 10:29PM

The Delta 14 inch bandsaw is considered a standard and one that many saws are compared against. I am not familiar with your particular model number but I have a 28 - 243F and I consider it one of the last really good tools Delta ever made. Pop your number into a google search and see what comments turn up. Or, visit one of the various woodworking forums and ask there.

Posted by: Ray Jorgensen (---.longlines.com)
Date: December 01, 2004 11:12PM

John,

You got the itch. Enjoy, it's alot of fun and remember I'm always here to help, if you need it.

Sorry, don't know anything about that model of saw. If It's any good at all you should be able to figure out how to level the table to the blade and adjust the blocks - bearing to the blade pretty easisly. The most important thing to getting a good cut is a sharp blade. I can tell real fast when I'm getting one dulled and switch immediately.

Posted by: Scott Olex (198.133.100.---)
Date: December 02, 2004 08:54AM

Don't forget to relieve the back edges of your blade. It will clean-up your cut and allow you to turn a work piece easier. I’ll second that sharp blade.

Posted by: John Anderson (168.37.196.---)
Date: December 02, 2004 10:44AM

Mr. Black,
I have the parts lists and exploded assembly view with parts numbered. If you are in the lower 48 states send me your address and I will mail you a copy. You can also call Delta at 1-800-223-PART and they can fax or send you a copy also. The Delta 14" Band saw is a work horse and you would never go wrong buying a used one in good condition.

John Anderson
Flex Coat Questions and Product Support

Posted by: Dave Potts (---.ktis.net)
Date: December 02, 2004 10:54AM

Scott,
What do you mean "relieve the back edge of the blade" ? Are you referring to a light honing of the back edge to smooth out any roughness on the blade-or are you referring to something else?

Thanks
Dave

Posted by: Scott Olex (198.133.100.---)
Date: December 02, 2004 03:27PM

Dave,

That's exactlly what I was saying.

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.ag.utk.edu)
Date: December 02, 2004 04:08PM

I just bought a used Delta 14". Pretty old, at least old enough to have the octagonal bar for the blade guide and smooth wheels. I like it better than the newer Delta 14" we have in the shop at work.

Posted by: Jim Grimes (---.dhcp.klmz.mi.charter.com)
Date: July 15, 2011 08:18PM

Tom,
You stated that you have the delta 28-243f band saw.. I actually just picked one up from a buddy of mine, and was wondering if you have the manual for yours? If so would it be possible to get a copy of it some how? I would greatly appreciate it! I have searched all over the web looking for it and haven't had any luck.

Thanks in advance

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster