I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thread Sizes and Usages
Posted by: Cindy Harlow (---.ev1.net)
Date: December 01, 2004 06:33PM

I'm new to rod building and I'm a bit at a loss here when it comes to thread selection. If I was making a rug, afghan, or a tapestry I would have no problem, but for some reason all that knowledge just isn't much good here.

What I was wondering was if there is there a guideline to go by or is it a "what works best for the builder" type thing? So far all I know is "A" is smaller than "B" which is smaller than "C" etc. Should one use one size for salt and another for freshwater? One size for the upper guides and another for the lower, larger guides? And what the heck size is "butt wrap" thread?

Also, one of those personal preference things here, which seems to be the best, nylon or silk?

I'm not that concerned about using the fancy threads (holographic, metallic, etc.) just the sizes and suggested usage areas.

Thanks in Advance.

Cindy

Options: ReplyQuote
Post removed
Posted by: Jason (---.sj3.marketscore.com)
Date: December 01, 2004 07:09PM

Post removed

Re: Thread Sizes and Usages
Posted by: William Colby (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: December 01, 2004 07:48PM

Nylon for most uses is better. Size A for nearly all fly rods and most freshwater rods. D for saltwater or any very heavy rod.

You could use D on smaller rods and it wouldn't really harm anything, but it won't look as good as the smaller diameter rods. It is easier for beginners to use though.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 01, 2004 08:41PM

Hi Cindy,

Most rod work is done with A thread. Only real heavy salt rods need D (even that is debateable). Butt wraps are mostly done with A, although there are some braids and flat mylar threads that are used for certain effects and since they are purely decorative, strength is not an issue. Don't discount mettalics. They are often used (A size). I use them about 80-90% of the time. Click on the Photo page above and check out "Thread Art" to see some great examples of what can be done with thread)

You do need to be careful what thread you use as most sewing threads are NOT suitableas they are often treated with silicone (incompatible with most finishes)to make them work better in sewing machines. Most popular is the Gudebrod Nylon and metallics. Also suitable are Madiera Polyneon 40 and the Sulky metallics. There are others but I would pretty much stick with threads that are intended for rodbuilding until you get a little experience and want to experiment.

If you need any help, don't hesitate to holler!

Mike

Date: December 01, 2004 09:03PM

Thank you very much, Mike and Will, for the help. Now I can head out and get some "A" on order. (Look out, Mudhole, here I come :>)

I plan on eventually using the metallics, but want to get some experience in with regular colored threads first. I had already discounted using any from my collection of sewing threads, most are for handsewing but are a cotton or cotton blend thread. If I had the slightest little area where water could get to it, rot would set in fast and I'd just lose all the work put into it.

I have inherited some size "E" Gudebrod thread. Anyone have any suggestions for usage?

Thanks again!

Cindy

PS. Mike, some of the thread art in there is WONDERFUL! I wish my needlework projects were as vibrant and beautiful. Thank you very much for pointing me in that direction.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: December 01, 2004 10:23PM

You could weave that E into a rope.

Really, Cindy, you can't go wrong with size A for anything. I used size D for many years and I still instruct "newbies" to try the first rod with D thread, but let them know that they should do what I did in my later years- switch to A. It's MUCH prettier and just as strong.

Putter

Posted by: MaryLouVandeRiet (---.mesh.net)
Date: December 02, 2004 06:15AM

Cindy.....
Welcome to the board !! Another lady rodbuilder !!!
If I can help you anytime, please let me know....

MaryLou

Posted by: Art Parramoure (---.159.20.93.Dial1.Chicago1.Level3.net)
Date: December 02, 2004 08:26AM

Cindy, hold on to that "E" you'll soon find a reason to use it.. I go thru spool after spool of "F-F" for one customer alone.... He has certain requirements and that size thread fits the bill.

Welcome to the board.

Art
mrparramoure@yahoo.com

Posted by: Dave Barrett (---.ma.emulex.com)
Date: December 02, 2004 12:33PM

You don't need any size other that A. With just a 1/2" long wrap of A over each foot of a Aftco roller guide, it takes over 40# of pull to remove the guide from the blank. And at that point its the guide frame that distorts and bends, not the thread that fails. I specialize in standup tuna rods and never use anything bigger that A.

The only reason for using larger sizes is convience. Larger sizes wrap faster and when doing double wraps you can wrap a layer of C or D over A without putting finish on the first layer.

You can wrap A over A without finishing the first layer if you wrap and pack it tight enough.

Dave

Posted by: Barry Thomas (---.riogrd01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 02, 2004 06:45PM

Welcome to Our addiction! just picked up some great Clear plastic thread storage boxes with individual spindals to hold the spools. each box holds up to 40 spools

Date: December 02, 2004 06:57PM

Barry,

Don't tease us! Where did you get them???
Mike

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.mynetrocks.com)
Date: December 02, 2004 11:58PM

Barry,

Tell us more about these thread storage boxes. What spool diameters/lengths will they accomodate?

Sulky has some nice boxes that fit their threads, complete with spool holders. Madeira has very nice boxes without spool holders for their spool size.

Let us know.

Stan.

Date: December 03, 2004 10:39PM

Thank you all for your advise on the threads. I've got some "A" headed my way and I'm keeping the "E" if for no other reason than it looks like it will work in a pinch for a throw pillow.

I have a suggestion on the thread box/storage thing. Being a handcrafter, I've got tons of sewing threads and assorted stuff on spools. I took and constructed a "thread table" out of an old chest of drawers I picked up at a garage sale for 5 bucks, 1/4" dowels and peg board.

I lined the bottom of the drawers with the peg board, cut my dowels into 4 inch lengths, glued one end into a hold on the board. After it dried, I dropped a spool on it. 4 inches of dowel holds 2 big spools of sewing thread so I could stack my thread, 2 spools of white, 2 India Peacock Blue, etc.

On 2 of the deeper drawers (thing has 2 shallow drawers and 3 deep ones) I ran some "runners" on both the front and back sections, nailing them about halfway down, basically cutting the depth of the drawer in half and cut another section of peg board that would cover only half the drawer at a time. Little shorter dowel, but these drawers hold my larger spools (about 3" high) of thread.

The bottom one, I took a chunk of 3/8" plywood, cut to fit the bottom, drilled some holes that would hold a 3/8" dowel, laid the plywood in then glued 3/8" dowel pieces in the holes. This drawer holds my large cones of cording and such, I can get 32 cones in there comfortably and can probably snug a few in upside down between the ones on dowels.

Keeps everything clean, organized and since I was able to dump my sewing boxes, I could go get more thread! LOL

Now since I'm starting rod building, I think it's time to go find another chest of drawers. Or maybe I can convince my hubby we need new bedroom furniture. We've got an old 9 drawer dresser in there that I could... hmmmmmm

Cindy

Date: December 04, 2004 12:17PM

Cindy,
Great Idea! How about posting pix!!

Mike

Posted by: Cindy Harlow (---.ev1servers.net)
Date: December 05, 2004 10:25PM

Mike,

Maybe I'll get lucky and Santa will bring me a camera. My youngest here in the house decided my fish wanted to take pictures of each other and dropped it into my aquarium. As soon as I can get a replacement, I'll definitely be putting a pic up.

Cindy

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster