I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Short "poll"
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 01, 2004 06:24PM

I decided to pull this up from another post:

How many rod builders regularly either grind off or other wise round over the small "teat" found on most guide feet? -- You know those annoying sharp transitions that tend to make the thread separate? They seem to have become a 'standard' on all guide feet. I understand the concept - holding a single foot guide in place (absent Rich Forhan's locking wrap) - but I personally hate them.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Short "poll"
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.33.127.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: December 01, 2004 06:29PM

Heck I almost thought this post was for short people?? I always take them off. Now with the forham wrap don't think they are needed. Guess the factories still use them?

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: December 01, 2004 06:40PM

Ken,
I agree with you completely. I dislike them as well. It seems to me that they are partiularly unnecessary especially on double footed guides but some still have them. I usually take them off because it is almost impossible to get the wrap to pack properly unless you take them off. However, when you take them off if you are not careful and while grinding or filing them off you hit the guide above where any epoxy will be most guides will eventually rust at that spot.

Posted by: Raymond Mazza (---.syr.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 01, 2004 07:10PM

Count me in, OFF THEY GO!
Ray

Posted by: nick brunetti (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: December 01, 2004 07:20PM

Alright, I'll show my ignorance...

What the heck are you guys talking about?

"...sharp transitions that tend to make the thread separate..." We aren't talking about the end of the guide foot, are we? That always has to be ground down.

Please enlighten me!

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: December 01, 2004 07:29PM

I grind down the sides until they disappear and then work on tapering the remaining foot.

Posted by: Erik Kunz (---.vascular.medtronic.com)
Date: December 01, 2004 07:36PM

Off with their "teats"... that's what I say!

LOL

Posted by: Dave Leonard (---.accel.atl.earthlink.net)
Date: December 01, 2004 07:36PM

I only find it worth the time doing (by hand with a file) on the smaller guides that are going on the thinner end of the rod, say, below 3/16 inch diameter. Otherwise, I don't necessarily like them but they don't slow me down or affect the wraps. I might re consider if I had a grinder or sander set up.
==dave==

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 01, 2004 07:46PM

Author: nick brunetti (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: 12-01-04 19:20

Alright, I'll show my ignorance...

What the heck are you guys talking about?

"...sharp transitions that tend to make the thread separate..." We aren't talking about the end of the guide foot, are we? That always has to be ground down.

Please enlighten me!

Nick -
If you think of the front edge of the guide foot as the toe (which everyone shapes down to a taper) the "teat" I'm speaking of shows up near the heel of the foot (near the guide ring). Its a very sharp transition that was seen as an improvement about 22 years ago that seems to have been adopted by all guide manufacturers.
Ken

Posted by: John Dow (204.60.177.---)
Date: December 01, 2004 08:10PM

Ken , I just round them off and make a kind of oval shape , more like a long oval shaped foot. I always use a locking wrap , or at least 4 or 5 turns past the guide. You are right , there is no need for them.
John

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.vnet-inc.com)
Date: December 01, 2004 08:32PM

I also grind them off. Equally bad are the Pac Bay "N" guides. I won't ever use them again, I should say try to use them.

Gerry

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 01, 2004 08:43PM

OFF!!!!!!
Mike

Posted by: Sam Stoner (---.nas2.spartanburg2.sc.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: December 01, 2004 08:44PM

It depends upon the manufacturer. I prefer the shape of the Fuji guides and grind them down until they're rounded enough to where I can wrap over them without the thread separating and, I think, they're actually functional. I can't seem to grind the PacBay guides to to a point that pleases me so I find that I have to grind them completely off. As a result, I've developed quite a dislike for the PacBay guides and don't but them anymore - I stick with the Fujis.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: December 01, 2004 10:13PM

Jeez, you guys are nasty!!! Off with their heads!!!

Putter

Posted by: Steve Runyan (---.palmer.mtaonline.net)
Date: December 01, 2004 11:13PM

Take 'em off, usually. Really depends on length of guide foot and size thread though. Size D can cover a lot of stuff, and on a lot of double foot guides i just stop my thread at that point. This gives me space to put in a nice inside clear ring, too, so doesn't look awkward on most of the guides. For doing the filing; Dremel tool with heavy duty cut off tool.... they go off quick! Just don't crank the speed up too high, and then go play!

Posted by: Dennis Papike (---.broadband.oakhurst.)
Date: December 01, 2004 11:43PM

I always get rid of them, no need for them with a locking wrap.

Posted by: Patrick Vernacchio (---.telalaska.com)
Date: December 02, 2004 03:08AM

If I understand your question correctly, I take two different approaches. I'll either end my wrap there, or I'll pack the thread so tight that it mitigates their presence. In either case, I would prefer they don't exist and I don't understand why they do. I assume it's a necessary part of the manufacturing process? I don't like to grind lots of material off, so I don't do anything to them.
Patrick Vernacchio

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: December 02, 2004 07:54AM

As a short (5'6") non-Pole but claiming other southern European slavik ancestry (Serbian), I feel qualified to say:

Teats do make wrapping annoying although they make getting milk from a cow a lot easier. However, on many of my personal rods I have used PacBay Hialoy guides and opted not to remove the teats since 1) It's my rod and I don't care if there is 1 thread gap per guide in that spot (black thread helps); and 2) Serves the same purpose as the Forhan locking wrap and reduces guide prep time. On someone else's rod, I would remove them to optimize aethetics and use a locking wrap.

Posted by: Jay Ross (---.ip.fedtel.net)
Date: December 02, 2004 07:58AM

hmmm.... that must be the new "cross-your-heart" guide with the underwire design?

hand me the dremel! weg von mit ihnen!

Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.dotnet.com)
Date: December 02, 2004 08:59AM

I grind em. Far less time in prepping guide foot then wrapping, bunishing, rewrapping etc

Buzz

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster