I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

The spine
Posted by: Pat Henry (---.neb.rr.com)
Date: December 01, 2004 01:02PM

Many thanks to those who answered my previous question regarding the spine. Now one on finding it: your glossary (as well as a few other sources) say the spine is the outside of the curve when you press down on the rod, but some others, such as Mud Hole say it is the inside of the curve (see page 5 of the 2005 catalog). Please clear up my confusion on this-are not both sources considered reliable? Thank you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The spine
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.33.127.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: December 01, 2004 01:38PM

Check the FAQs page. It should have your answer. Top is usually marked but both sides are used depending on how you want the rod to perform

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.54.16.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: December 01, 2004 02:08PM

You have to remember that the spine of a rod isn't a physical thing, it's only an effect. Therefore, you come down to where you want to make a mark so you'll understand the particular orientation of that effect when you view the mark.

Most rod builders will mark the outside of the curve when the blank is flexed into a curve of least resistance and call that the "effective spine."

In a past issue of RodMaker, Rich Forhan used the terms ISCAR (inside of curve at rest) and OSCAR (outside of curve at rest) as good means of remembering just what it is you're looking at.

Posted by: levi farster (---.essex1.com)
Date: December 02, 2004 11:43PM

The spine is stiffer, right? So if, when you do the press and roll thing, it does indeed move quickly to a certain position (hope theres no little chips on the butt of your blank) then the spine would be inside or against your hand. I could not find the spine on the last rod I built. I chose to ignore it and see what happened. I honestly cant tell the difference, or detect any strange goings on cast or fish on.

Posted by: Chia-Chien Goh (---.168.18.222.mad.wi.charter.com)
Date: December 03, 2004 03:00PM

This is a difficult topic because some rod blanks can have as many as five spines and possibly more. The short version of the long story is that a rod with only one spine tends to want to roll to the spine when it is placed under load. So, building on the rod's spine helps prevent most rolling issues. However, it's not always so easy. When a rod has several spines or even worse, several winding spines that wrap around at different angles, it becomes a decision making process as to what the rod is going to be mostly used for. If it's a game rod, you have to make sure the spine at the butt is the major one so that when the fish loads the rod until it bends all the way down tot eh butt section, the rod will theoretically stay more stable. So, if you're approaching the rod from a fighting standpoint, it is not a necessary issue to think in terms of inside or outside rather than where does the rod want to roll to when it is under load? If you aprroach from a casting standpoint, then you have another can of worms. The real trick is balancing the two issues of fighting and casting because some guys prefer casting sideways and request for rods built with the spine on one side. To avoid a lot of this, always request that the blanks you receive have only one very straight and prominent spine. If it comes otherwise, send it back. This way, you have less issues to deal with in the rod blank. I hope at least something in this post was of some help. Good luck!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster