I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How do I use a hand wrapper?
Posted by: Rick Koontz (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 30, 2004 08:41PM

Hi guys and gals,

Until recently, I've used my own two hands and a fly tying bobbin for all of my wrapping. I get good results and it is quick and easy. I couldn't count how many rods I've done ths way. I thought I could make things a little easier and faster by using a hand wrapper, so I picked up a flex coat basic model. I set it up as the directions indicate. I have two problems though.

(1) I can't get enough thread tension. I can crank the tensioner down as tight as I want and it doesn't change the tension. Am I doing it right? I have the thread spool on the far post. The thread goes around the back of the other thin post, around the tensioner, to the eyelet on the sliding block, and up to the rod.

(2) How do you keep the rod from sliding lengthwise in the wrapper? The rod slides back and forth as I am turning it which plays heck with my thread placement. I'm either getting gaps or the threads are overlapping. I can't get a happy medium. I suspect it is related to #1 above, or at least fixing #1 will help.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Rick

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How do I use a hand wrapper?
Posted by: William Colby (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: November 30, 2004 09:03PM

The thread goes between the two cupped disks on the tensioner. It doesn't take much tension and I have to wonder just how much you were using when you wrapped with your bobbin. Too much tension is a bad thing where graphite rod blanks are concerned.

The rod should slide back and forth. This allows you to subtly move it so that the oncoming thread always packs against itself. Just give it a go and in a few guide you should have the hang of it.

One thing I do recommend on any hand wrapper is a third rod support. It really helps not to have one end or the other dangling around out there. Buy one or make one but do get a third support if you don't already have one.

Posted by: Steve Ekstrand (---.sea1-4.27.224.38.sea1.dsl-verizon.net)
Date: November 30, 2004 09:24PM

I built my own hand wrapper and set it up with hooks and use rubber bands to hold it down and put some tension on it. Can still slide it if necessary but holds it pretty well.

Posted by: Tim Johnson (---.ma.dl.cox.net)
Date: November 30, 2004 11:51PM

The Flex coat wrapper I have, has thread tensioners with two cupped washers, that you arrange so that lower one is cupped down, the upper one cupped up, and then run the thread off the spool, around the back side of the "split" between the two washers and pull to get the thread running next to the center post of the tensioner, I usually have the adjustment nut on the very top of the tensioner barely on, otherwise I get too much tension. (the spring goes on top of the two washers, and the thumb nut on top the spring). The thread then runs to the front of the wrapper, through the small eyelet guide, then up to your rod, so that you'll be wrapping on the front of the rod, and I spin my rods so that the top moves away from me, allowing me to see how everything is lying down on the rod. You'll find that those washers are tough on metallics, so you'll need to go very loose on the tensioners when using that type of thread.

As for movement, I have some velcro on my support stands. Two patches of the "sharper" portion of the velcro, one stuck on each side of the v-notch, located just beneath the notch. I then use a longer strip (without any adhesive backing) of the "softer" portion to loop from one patch, up and over the rod, and attach it to the other patch on the other side of the notch holding the rod. That seems to keep the rod from sliding and keeps tension on the rod so that I don't have to keep my hands on the rod constantly during a wrap to avoid inducing any slack into the system.

Have wrapped a long time on this simple stand and find it one of the cheapest, most functional tools I probably have related to this "hobby".

Posted by: Rick Koontz (65.196.57.---)
Date: December 01, 2004 06:56AM

Hi guys,

About 3 minutes after I posted this I was playing with the wrapper and found my problem. I was putting the thread around the tensioner while the tensioin screw was tight. I wasn't getting the thread between the cupped discs. Once I let up the tension and pulled the thread in it was a lot better. That also helped a good bit with the thread placement and packing. I still have to keep an eye on it, but it is going on a bit better now.

William,

With the bobbin, I was using enough tension to hold the guides snugly in place, but not so much that I couldn't move them as needed or couldn't pull my thread under. When I say there was little tension, I mean that I could take my thread wraps and pack them to almost half the length that I just wrapped. It was as if there was no tension at all (and really there wasn't).

Anyone have an idea for a back tension spring? It is pretty annoying when I do get an overlapping thread and have to unwind by hand to keep tension on. What kind of wire would work for that?

Thanks,
Rick

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.195.143.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: December 01, 2004 08:52AM

My thread comes off the spool, over the blank. I have a about 6" spring that is screwed onto a upright post. I then hook the spring onto the thread once the thread is locked in place. When I back up the spring keeps tension on the thread. Can be seen on the photo page under equipment under - willierods - Hope this helps

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.54.82.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: December 01, 2004 09:06AM

A hacksaw blade with the flat perpindicular to the direction of pull, makes an excellent reverse tension spring.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.195.143.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: December 01, 2004 09:15AM

Tom; The ones I use are not very flexable, they tend to keep a bend in them?? The springs I use are from a magnifier lamp.

Posted by: Rick Koontz (65.196.57.---)
Date: December 01, 2004 11:45AM

Hi guys,

I will try the hacksaw blade idea tonight as I know I have one at home. I'll put a swivel and split ring on the end so that I know I have a smooth surface. In the mean time, I'll keep my eye out for some wire or springs that work. I was thinking piano wire should do it, but I don't have any handy or cheap.

Thanks,
Rick

Posted by: Tony Hill (---.248.225.254.Dial1.Washington2.Level3.net)
Date: December 01, 2004 10:51PM

A thought....

I use a weighted bobbin for thread tension.

When wrapping, the bobbin is pulled against the thread guide eye and all is well.

If I make a mistake, the bobbin+ gravity will create back tension for about 30". (until it hits the floor) Works great, and I see no system that is easier or better.

Hope this helps someone.

TH

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.mynetrocks.com)
Date: December 02, 2004 09:23PM

Rick,

I'm using a piece of lawn mower throttle cable for a "back-tensioner". I cut a pig-tail out of a coil and a half of a spring and epoxied it in to the end of the throttle cable to handle the thread. The throttle cable can be bent to whatever shape you require once the other end is fixed to the thread carrier.

Hope to post some photos someday.

Stan

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster