I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

fingernail polish look like epoxy?
Posted by: Greg Tucker (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 29, 2004 09:01PM

I want to test what the final product will look like on Gudebrod nylon thread or sulky.. CP etc.. Without mixing bunches of epoxy. Will nail polish come close?
Any other ideas? Thanks..

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: fingernail polish look like epoxy?
Posted by: William Colby (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: November 29, 2004 09:20PM

It will take a BUNCH of it. I don't think you'll ever get it as smooth or deep as epoxy.

Posted by: Clyde Roberts (---.ec.rr.com)
Date: November 29, 2004 10:18PM

If you're trying to see what the color will look like, just wet it with some water. Not exact, but close. Of course, let dry completely before applying epoxy.

Do yourself a favor and take a scrap peice of blank and make a bunch of different wraps on it that you want to know what they will look like. Apply epoxy to all of them, with cp on one side & no cp on the other. Once you see it in person for a bunch of different colors it will be much easier to guess what the final product will look like.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.nas3.saint-louis1.mo.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: November 29, 2004 10:21PM

I'm not sure what you are asking. The final product of what?

I have test samples that I did for a fade test using 7 different thread mfgrs with LS supreme high and low builds, Flex Coat high and low builds, with no CP, glass coat CP and Flex Coat CP (that I STILL have to send to Myles to get in the sun... just need to mount them on a board). A sidebar that I wasn't expecting, was a difference among them even before seeing the sun. Nothing earth-shaking, but there are some subtle differences in color and/or appearance depending on what combinations are used.

So if you are looking to see if there is one thing that can see if there is a difference among threads across the board, the answer is no. The finishes and their combinations of CPs or no CP differ, believe it or not.

I can give better details on email if anybody is interested so far. I'll try and get some pics but with my crap camera, my worse photographic talents, and the subtle, yet visible (to the eye) differences, I don't know how well they will show up.

Date: November 29, 2004 11:05PM

Sounds like the ticket Clyde... I have a scrap with about 30 practice wraps on it of many colors and will try that. When people speak of thread going translucent without CP, what does that mean exactly? the foot show through?
using LS..
Thanks
aka. puppy mullet

Posted by: Myles Boon (---.b.003.brs.iprimus.net.au)
Date: November 29, 2004 11:15PM

Hey Mick, temp. is over 100F for the next week or so UV is gone past the extreme section on the indicator. Still doesn't stop my wife sending me out into the sun to work.
Myles

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: November 30, 2004 12:32AM

Stack them stones, Myles!!
Greg-Depending on the color of the thread, the foot will show to varying degrees. White 00 will show thru the most. Sometimes this is a trait looked for; some like the foot to show. Tartan wraps depend on this for their appeal.

Putter

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: November 30, 2004 12:40AM

I use olive oil because it also gives you an idea of the shine you'll get from the finish also. Cut off the thread, hit it with alcohol and the blank's as good as new.
Transluscent thread does indeed show the guide foot.
If you want the visible foot under the thread to not show evidence of tapering the guide foot, you can bend the tip of the guide foot down slightly than file the back of the foot flat again to get the results you want.

Date: November 30, 2004 02:16AM

Will a black marker keep the silver part (filed down) on a black foot guide. from showing through the threads?

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: November 30, 2004 05:48AM

Greg -
Yes, but test it for color fastness. Not all "indelible markers" are truely color fast. Hit it with a marker, wait3-5 minutes then dip it in lukewarm water in a shallow dish ... If you see 'staining" in the water try another marker.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.45.82.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: November 30, 2004 07:33AM

Also coat the marker with CP to help keep it from bleeding through

Posted by: John Butterfield (---.adsl.gulftel.net)
Date: November 30, 2004 11:06AM

Back to nail polish. My wife once sold Avon, when she quit she had samples in many colors. I kept them and have never tried using it on wrappings, but it is great to enhance lures with. I put it on spoons and spinner blades. I don't know if they catch more fish but they look interesting. John Butterfield

Posted by: Myles Boon (---.airservices.gov.au)
Date: November 30, 2004 11:11AM

John,
I have been using my wifes nail polish as pigment for marbling, works really good.

Myles

Posted by: Patrick Vernacchio (---.telalaska.com)
Date: November 30, 2004 12:46PM

Black markers, even Sharpies, don't dry as completely black. The best way to recover the area of the guide you have filed is to apply a lacquer-based paint. I use the Testors lacquer pens, and even after removing the guides from a finished rod, 99% of the paint remains.
Patrick Vernacchio

Posted by: Ed Carr (---.msn.com)
Date: November 30, 2004 07:34PM

I've used nail polish to do a quick fix on a rod that had a busted guide and it is still going strong today 2 yrs later. Looks just like epox took about 5 coats and about 15 min. between coats. ED....

Posted by: Dave Wallbridge (82.152.144.---)
Date: December 01, 2004 12:45PM

In view of the doubts expressed above regarding the colour/ light fastness of sharpies, why not do as I always have and use nail polish to cover any grind marks. Lots of colours to choose from, quick drying, cheap to use and come complete with brush.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster