I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Trim Ring Jig
Posted by: Jeff Leonard (---.mc.net)
Date: November 28, 2004 11:21AM

Can anyone tell me where I can find a jig for cutting cork and wood trim rings for checkerboarding. I believe I have seen these somewhere but can't remember where.
Thanks in advance,
Jeff

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Trim Ring Jig
Posted by: Herb Knowlton (---.247.247.206.bay.mi.chartermi.net)
Date: November 28, 2004 11:56AM

Hi,

Got mine from Bob &Scott at Custom Tackle. Link is to your left in sponsor list.

Herb

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 28, 2004 12:02PM

Custom Tackle. There are 2 of them. One for cutting thin rings and one for cutting checkerboards/diamonds. Do a search here for cork jigs and you will get a ton of info
Go to Photo page (above) and type cork jig in the search window and you will see pix of them that I posted

Mike

Posted by: Raymond Mazza (---.syr.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 28, 2004 03:16PM

Jeff,
I have some older ones but recently I made my own. The one I most reently made is from a block of wood. A discarded kitchen knife holder. It is much safer to hold than the smaller ones and can be held or clamped down. A drill press and a compound miter saw makes building one very quick work, though you can do other ways. And the answer is YES, I did manage to cut myself pretty good with the other design and that is what motivated me to build my own. Not to imply the others aren't safe when used properly. I have diminished hand strength and that is what lead to my injury.
Ray

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 28, 2004 03:28PM

Hi Ray,

Sounds neat! Can you post a pic?? I use a small clamp on table top vise to hold my aluminum jigs. Works pretty good.

Mike

Posted by: Johnathan Sams (---.65-104.adsl.ij.net)
Date: November 28, 2004 04:45PM

You can make your own from a block of wood. I used a 2x4 and a hole cutter to make a 1&1/4" diameter hole the same depth as a cork ring. Then I stood the block up on edge and made a slice through the hole with a band saw. I put it at 3/8" from the top of the hole. I can cut 1/8 or 3/8 trim rings or stack washers under the ring and get thinner than 1/8 if I want. But any thinner and it might get lost in the shuffle!

Posted by: Raymond Mazza (---.syr.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 28, 2004 07:39PM

I'll get around to posting some pictures eventually. I used a Forstner bit in my small drill press to make the jig. On the block I have I was able to put 4 holes of different depths so that I can choose the thickness of the trim ring I'd like. One suggestion if using wood, put a light coat of parafin wax on the inside of the jig to make removal of the remaining ring easier (even if you provide access from below to push it out).
Ray

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster