I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod drying speed and temp??
Posted by: Phil D'Avanzo (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: March 04, 2002 11:35AM

I'm just finishing a new drying box and have some questions.

What is the ideal and maximum temperatures that I should get the box to? (I'm using LS Supreme)

I have a bunch of different RPM motors and I'm not sure which to use. This motor is strictly for drying, not application. What is the comprimise in RPM choice? Is thee a "too fast" or "too slow"?

Thanks for the help

Phil

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod drying speed and temp??
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: March 04, 2002 12:39PM

Most finishes behave best at around 72 to 76 degrees, in my experience. Obviously you can deviate from this but both the viscosity of the fresh mix and the cure time will be affected. Cooler temps mean you are working with a bit thicker mix, but cure time is extended. Higher temps provide a thinner and possibly more maganageable mix, although for less time as the cure time is reduced.

My experience is that the mid 70's (F) give the best all around working mix and pot life.

Posted by: Scott Brockwell (---.dinwiddie.k12.va.us)
Date: March 04, 2002 12:51PM

I think you mean what temperature to keep the drying box at rather than the finish when applying it, right?

I keep my drying boxes in the mid to upper 90s with four 40-watt bulbs in each one, and you can touch Flex Coat with the back of your fingernail in about three hours of drying at that temperature, and it's quite hard over night. The higher the temperature in your box, the faster the cure takes place (but remain within reason -- the 90s has never damaged any blank I've used and should not do so).

As for speeds, my dryers range from an 8 rpm motor to several 36 rpms. I prefer the slower one, but they all work fine.

Posted by: Dick Thurston (---.midtn.chartertn.net)
Date: March 04, 2002 10:36PM

I don't know if I am articulate enough to express this: The slower RPM motors allow the finish to flow completely around the blank as it turns. As the rotation rate increases, the "droop" cannot flow fast enough to catch up with the rotating rod and you may end up with high spots in the finish if the temp. is high enough for quick curing. For curing I have found that a 9 RPM motor works well & 75 deg. F to 90 deg a good curing temperature.

I hope this concept is slightly clearer than mud.

Posted by: Ed Sinn (mrsinbad) (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 05, 2002 12:22AM

Gentlemen,

To further the discussion of drying speed, wouldn't you think that the motor speed you use is related to the relative viscosity (thickness) of the epoxy you are using? I believe that if the epoxy is relatively thick, you would use a slower speed on the motor to give the epoxy a chance to flow around the blank and level off. If the epoxy is thinner, I would use a higher motor speed to keep the thin epoxy "suspended" and keep it from sagging. Is my logic correct or am I not considering something?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: March 05, 2002 09:36AM

Ed has brought up a good point and what we are finding is that the thicker finishes seem to work better at lower RPM's (6 to 20) and the thinner ones do better at higher speeds (40RPM and up). Some builders have told me that they are rotating at 60RPM's and getting some really good looking wraps.

But there is also a double-edged sword at work here. With the thinner viscosity finishes and the higher revolution speeds, finish is "slung" out and up the guide legs in some instances. Many have mentioned this as well.

I am not so sure that once you have your finish on the rod and appearing the way you want it, that reducing the temp it, rather than raising it, may result in better final results. Yes, it would take longer to cure at a lower speed, but it would also thicken to a point where it would not migrate up the guide legs and allow you to use a slower rotation speed in the process. This could be the best of both worlds.

I have not tried it but will make a note to give it a go at some point when I have more time.

Posted by: Phil D'Avanzo (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: March 05, 2002 01:19PM

Guys,

Thanks for the input. You have hit my concerns about the relationship of temperature, curing time, viscosity and RPM. I suppose I will use a slower RPM motor for the time being.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster