I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

epoxy oozed into reel seat
Posted by: brad rodgers (---.sttnwaho.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: November 26, 2004 09:17PM

Title is sort of self explanitory. I was building a couple of 2wt rods for my godkids for their birthdays coming up in December. I thought I had the reel seat pretty well taped up so I didn't get epoxy all over the reel seat but a pin hole broke through in the handle and oozed the epoxy into the reel seat and I didn't notice it untill the epoxy went bang and hardened. Now I can't put a reel in the dang thing!!!!!
Fortunatley, It was only a $30.00 Cabelas kit and not a $400.00 Winston blank. Does anybody have any ideas for removing hardened epoxy from the hood of a reel seat?
Thanks
BjR

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: epoxy oozed into reel seat
Posted by: Patrick Vernacchio (---.telalaska.com)
Date: November 26, 2004 09:44PM

Use a hair dryer to soften the epoxy. Use a credit card or your fingernail to scrape off the excess. If it is inside of the sleeve where the reelfoot is secured (don't know the "official" terminology), then a thin nail-file or the foot of a reel might remove enough excess to form fit. I would also tape the reel seat to protect the surface from tool marks or scratches.
Patrick Vernacchio

Posted by: John Dow (---.60.169.75.adsl.snet.net)
Date: November 26, 2004 10:09PM

The nail file was the tool of choice for me also when it happened to me ONCE. I heated it up with a Bic and kept at it for a while until it was almost all gone, there was still a small amount left , but the reel fit . One reason to use Rod Bond and not the 5 min. stuff . You can monitor the Rod Bond on the plate you mixed it on , and check the seat from time to time and make sure the glue dosen't migrate where it's not wanted. The little sharp hook on the nail file lets you get into the corners of the hood nicely . Good luck , shouldn't be a big deal.
John

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 26, 2004 11:01PM

There probably isn't one person here on teh boards who this hasn't happened to...ONCE. lol.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: November 27, 2004 12:16AM

10-4 on that, Billy. Wish it had only happened once. But it won't ever happen again as long as I don't run out of Rod Bond. This stuff doesn't migrate. Put it together, clean off any that I got on the parts during assembly, and walk away. I love this stuff!!

Putter

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.vnet-inc.com)
Date: November 27, 2004 10:58AM

A dental pick works great for this kind of thing. You can get a cheap one at a pharmacy or Walmart.

Date: November 27, 2004 12:43PM

yes ......thanks for the ideas campers. After I initially posted this topic I was in one of our local fly fishing emporiums here in Seattle and one of the fellows in the shop suggested I take a dental pick and heat the pick up over a candle or a alcohol burner and while the pick is hot ....but not glowing red , you can dig out the excess epoxy pretty good. I came home and tried it and it worked like a champ. The only thing I would do differently is I would tape off the rest of the reel seat as Patrick suggested.
I'm new to this forum and I'm glad to have all of your acquaintances and look forward to improving my skills from the collective wisdom of this board.
Thanks
BjR

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: November 27, 2004 08:15PM

Brad, the reason this happened in the first place was because the area contaminated by the epoxy was hidden under the tape. Try it without the tape next time, especially if using Rod Bond. Then you can keep a good eye on everything as it sets up.

Errant epoxy has happened to me too. I usually assemble the handle assembly all at once - ie., rear grip, reel seat, then foregrip. I line everything up and let it set for 24 hours, but first 1-2 hours after final assembly and cleanup I come back and look over the assembly real close to make sure none of the past epoxy has oozed out. Many times I have found small amounts for epoxy paste have wormed out from between the grips and reel seat, but its real easy cleaning it up while its not cured.

Lou

Date: November 28, 2004 02:36AM

I've never heard of Rod Bond before. I learned using 5 minute epoxy and have to get everthing all put together real fast and go like @#$%&. that sounds like stuff I want to try. Is it a Flex coat product?
BjR

Posted by: Marcel Charest (---.agstme.adelphia.net)
Date: November 28, 2004 06:33AM

Brad,
Rod bond is not a Flex coat product. I get mine from Mud Hole link at your left. Thanks Marcel ps great stuff

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: November 28, 2004 06:37PM

Rod Bond is a U40 product (like LS Supreme and Permagloss).

Putter

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster